Hold the guitar pick with the big surface between your thumb and first finger, so you have the point sticking out, therfore when you pluck the stirngs, the strings will ring out properlly.
thats how i hold it anyways, some people hold it with thumb and 2 fingers, look on google
Basically what 2mins said, but I'd just like to add that when you are holding it don't have it in a vice like grip. It's a problem I have seen so many new guys have, they hold the pick so tight that they strum with an almost robotic motion if that makes sense. Generally it's better to hold your pick pretty loose but just keep enough grip on it so that you don't drop it. It'll be tricky at first but give it a while and you'll just naturally learn.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
erm...do you know the way you (point with your thumb ahead of you/or the way you hold your fists while marching), well keep it in that position, grip the pick with you index and thumb and allow the tip of the pick to protude from the side of your thumb. that's how I do it. only thing is that it won't be that easy to readily pinch harmonic anything, but once you practise enough you can achieve some speed there.
Quote by Tezzquill
erm...do you know the way you (point with your thumb ahead of you/or the way you hold your fists while marching), well keep it in that position, grip the pick with you index and thumb and allow the tip of the pick to protude from the side of your thumb. that's how I do it. only thing is that it won't be that easy to readily pinch harmonic anything, but once you practise enough you can achieve some speed there.

That's the way I hold it now, but I found that I play sloppy on the last 2 strings this way. Any advice? I tilt the pick a little, sort of like this ------/----
Practice - it goes without saying that if you're trying to do something you've never done before you won't be very good at it in the beginning.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
there is alot of techniques to holding a pick. i use three of the techniques
Quote by Hckey#
That's the way I hold it now, but I found that I play sloppy on the last 2 strings this way.

if youre just starting out then that's guaranteed to happen - you dont have the control but it will come with practice - focus on hitting the last two notes and not just raising youre hand for the next strum - like they say in almost anything you do -> follow through
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.