And i'd like UG'S Opinion on getting some new ones! I play Thrash Metal with a Peavey 6505. The stock tubes were Ruby 6L6GC's which weren't bad at all. But I was wondering If I should up the gain or something. Or maybe there are some better tubes at there that you guys know of. List some tubes you would use if you played stuff similar to , Municipal Waste, Toxic Holocaust, The Accused, ETC.. ETC
My Gear:
Gibson Flying V (active Emg's 81, 85)
Peavey 6505 Amp

Avatar Cab /w Vintage 30's / G12H-30's
Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer
Roland Cube 60
Well that kind of helped me.. lol
My Gear:
Peavey 6505 Amp

Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Roland Cube 60
listen....either way if you get different ones you ll need to rebias your amp.

so i d say put el-34s in it and get it rebiased.
Quote by georgakis187
listen....either way if you get different ones you ll need to rebias your amp.

so i d say put el-34s in it and get it rebiased.

Rebias my amp? What? I've heard the term before but I have no idea what it means and or how to do it..
My Gear:
Peavey 6505 Amp

Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Roland Cube 60
Quote by Hammett5
Rebias my amp? What? I've heard the term before but I have no idea what it means and or how to do it..

I don't know what people are talking about in this thread man. Unless your amp has been modded, you can't adjust the bias without adding a pot or changing resistors. Use a vendor like Doug's Tubes, Tubedepot, Eurotubes, Tubestore, etc., and when you decide on a tube, tell them it's for a stock 5150/6505. They will test a set that normally runs hotter at the average plate voltage of a 5150. They will be fine.

Personally I like the Rubys too. The 6L6GCMSTR are a good tube. A lot of people like JJ in that amp too. Don't put EL34 in it unless you want to mod it with an adjustable bias and upgraded screen resistors.

Your preamp tube selection will probably be more important, I would say you will notice more of a difference in sound with that combination than power tubes IMO.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I just had my 5150 i bought used re-tubed, one of the power tubes was microphonic, and were OLD original lookin peavey tubes, haha...I also used the Ruby 6L6GCMSTR's, they are a simple swap tech told me due to basically what would be stock, like someone said up there, the amp SHOULDNT need to be biased, but he checked it all out anyhow. For pre-amps i put a tun-sol re-issue in the 1, a JJ in the 2, hell i cant remember, haha, i got tubes from, and 2 of the 12ax7s were garbage so by the time i finally got a new one sent to me i just had the tech put the one JJ in the #2 and one i think in the 4th or somethin...5th i believe i used a penta-lab, i just told em to put em where he thought theyd work, and i could move em around since im a bit of tube-n00b.haha...so far i really like the tone so far, still tryin to figure settings out on amp, got it not too long ago
rebias means take it to the tech...they adjust the voltage going to each tube for a maximum balance of output for the amp....wikipedia yes/no/maybe?
Quote by georgakis187
rebias means take it to the tech...they adjust the voltage going to each tube for a maximum balance of output for the amp....wikipedia yes/no/maybe?

dude, it's been said. The 5150/6505 is fixed "non adjustable" bias. You would have to swap resistors or add a bias trimpot. No one is going to be able to adjust the bias without modding the amp somehow, it's physically impossible. Your EL34 in a 5150 recommendation is also a good way to burn out parts without extra precautions/modifications.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Dec 8, 2008,
Quote by Erock503
dude, it's been said. The 5150/6505 is fixed "non adjustable" bias. You would have to swap resistors or add a bias trimpot. No one is going to be able to adjust the bias without modding the amp somehow, it's physically impossible. Your EL34 in a 5150 recommendation is also a good way to burn out parts without extra precautions/modifications.

^ This along with his other post covered everything. The man knows his stuff.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
well then sorry the 5150 sucks for this situation...if you cant even ****ing swap the tubes out.
Quote by georgakis187
well then sorry the 5150 sucks for this situation...if you cant even ****ing swap the tubes out.

no one said you can't swap tubes. You can buy tubes from Peavey that are tested for their bias, or you can use a vendor that knows their bias and can test for it. That includes all of the well known online tube vendors I mentioned. If the 5150 sucks because of this, so does every Mesa Boogie amp, and any amp with a fixed non adjustable bias. It makes it 100x easier for the user, you just have to use tubes that operate well under their fixed bias value, which any decent vendor can test for.
amp clips
amp vids
dude bias slips tho...i ve worked in a store and any used combo/head needs to be rebiased as it can slip up to 5% if its been over a couple of years since last bias...what happens with the 5150 then?
same thing that happens with any other amp. The tubes drift. As long as they are operating under safe conditions, it isn't going to matter if they drift a few mA. It's not ideal, I agree, but it's the same method employed my Mesa for all their amps. The stock 5150, un modded, has been on a ton of metal albums, and will be on a ton more.

Peavey and Mesa bias them on the cold side on purpose, so even if they drift, they aren't going to cross the 70% max dissipation threshold. I personally don't like fixed non-adjustable bias, that's why I modded my 5150 by adding a 10k trimpot and 7.5k resistor to replace the 15k resistor that's stock. I like my tubes running more around the 65% max current. Doesn't mean the amps suck however. As long as the tubes are testing to fall within a certain range to work with the fixed bias, they will work and sound fine. I'm a tweaker for subtle difference however, that's why I like complete control.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Dec 8, 2008,
Eric...you make me happy.... IN MY PANTS!!!!

I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Eric...you make me happy.... IN MY PANTS!!!!

amp clips
amp vids