Im starting to get interested to record my playing and maybe post some covers on youtube, or just simply hear my playing so i can improve myself. My question is, i have a pretty low budget, around 120 us dollars, what would be best for me to get?
A line 6 pocket pod
Shure SM 57

I have no experience of mic an amp, so i have some questions if i decide to get the microphone

How loud do you keep your amp when recording with the microphone, and do you plug the mic to the computer when recording?
And i have a 4x12 cab, where should the mic be placed for best audio quality
Guitar: Ibanez RGR321 EXBK

Amp: Bugera 6260 head + 4x12 cab
Last edited by ryphe at Nov 29, 2008,
sorry to pop a happy bubble, but your budget is too low to get serious recordings.

Maybe you should just get a video camera to take video's of your playing, then you can put them on youtube or whatever you want.

an SM57 is a good mic, yes, but what are you gonna plug it into? they are made for being plugged into multitrack recorders (a couple hundred bucks) or PA systems. They aren't made for going into a computer soundcard.

you might want to get a MIDI interface, sometimes called "studio in a box" at guitarcenter

http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-US-144-Interface-and-MXL-990-991-Microphone-Bundle-241724-i1370013.gc

there's an example of one.. that actually could get you up and going. it's a little more expensive, but it has everything you need on a very basic level.

yea, go with that, the more i think about it the better it is for you
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
if you choose to get the mic, here are some tips for how to mic your amp
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
The best way to learn how to mic your amp is trial and error.

Also, $120 isn't really enough to get decent recordings. The SM-57 alone costs $100 and a good interface is around $300
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
just get a usb interface and some amp modelling software. its the easiest way to get great sounds without spending thousands.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
toneport have impressed me, and im hard to impress because i generally hate everything.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.