well the question is simple, what is the difference between active and passive pickups?, which one sounds better for hard rock (AC/DC) and metal (MEGADETH, IRON MAIDEN)?

i think the explanation includes input and output terms, so, what is output?

I READ the sticky of the amp thread that says it has been expanded with FX, pedals AND PICKUPS, but i didn't find these in the index.

thanks in advance

EDIT: i am starting to save for a schecter, but don't know if i should get one with passive or active pickups...
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
if you go active get seymour duncan blackouts. or get the 18V mod for w/e emgs you get. but if you go passive look for a high gain-type passive .
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
ac/dc would be passive, theres a mojo in AC/DC that requires passive pickup. For metal definitely EMG, EMG and high gain makes a great combination for the sound.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
Active pickups are low output but use an onboard battery-powered preamp to boost the signal.

Passive pickups don't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
High output passives FTW

One of my personal favorites is the Duncan Distortion. For metal like Megadeth though the JB with a Jazz in the neck would be sick.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.