Hi everyone, I am a new member of UG, but I have been into the tabs archive for the past few months.

Anyway, here I go.

My brother is getting into guitars, and I was thinking of buying him one for Christmas.
By the way, he's 14, so he's not into Jr guitars.

His favorite would be a Gibson Les Paul, but considering my budget, his second favorite is the Epiphone SG (not the bass).

I've been looking at Craigslist and it looks like I might be able to get one for around $200 or so, but there are others that are "Epiphone SG Special", which run for less.

This would be my brother's first guitar, so I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but I'd like to get him something of good quality that will help him start out.

I'm basically trying to by the best guitar I can for the cheapest price, but I'm not sure what to get. I don't mind spending a little more for better quality, but I want to know if it's worth it or not.

What model(s) Epiphone SG should I be looking for? Which should I avoid? How can I identify the different models? Any advice on buying a used model (which will probably be the case)?

Thank you!
Last edited by yellowsnow4free at Nov 29, 2008,
In my opinion, i would get a vintage, as for the value for money they are much better than epi's. i think the one for 200dollars is decent for a second hand epi les paul. Its good if theres nothing majorly wrong with it.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.