Poll Options
View poll results: Bugera 333XL or Peavey 5150
Bugera 333XL
11 46%
Peavey 5150
13 54%
Voters: 24.
Please read BEFORE you vote!

It's pretty much down to these two for me, since I stumbled upon a 5150 combo.

I'm not buying either of these just for metal, keep that in mind please. I want good, Opeth-y cleans at least. I would really like to start playing some Blues as well. Right now I play mostly modern metal (COB, Opeth).

I've been leaning towards the 333XL for a while now. Just watching the videos it definitely can get a very good metal tone, and is very versatile. I'm not really sure whether the 5150 can match that versatility, and whether it's the metal tone is really that much better. Ignore the reliability factor for now please, just interested in tonal differences.

I've asked a couple of people but need some more opinions.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
The Bugera has better cleans, no doubt, but it's a copy of the JSX (I think). Alot of people apparently like its metal tone, but I prefer the 5150... I do tend to like fizzier tones, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
The 5150 isn't terribly bad at doing some rock either, I've gotten some decent rock tones out of it.
Are you looking at the combos or the heads?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Doesn't Bugera make an amp based off of the 5150?
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
The 5150 can get a lot better cleans that people think especially the combo since it's biased warmer. I've tried this amp every time I go to GC and it's cleans aren't awe-inspiring sparkly but they'll do and can be a decent clean tone if you do it right. Now about the metal tone, come on it's a freaking 5150! It's going to sound more modern off the bat because it has 6L6's stock. That's about all the input I can give.
the peavey all the way,
for metal and distorted sounds its much better
clean channel is not amazing like a hughes and kettner but you can still get nice warm tones from it.
bugera amps are styled on peavey amps i think and if its true then the bugera is just a copy of the peavey
Quote by maggot2011
The 5150 can get a lot better cleans that people think especially the combo since it's biased warmer. I've tried this amp every time I go to GC and it's cleans aren't awe-inspiring sparkly but they'll do and can be a decent clean tone if you do it right. Now about the metal tone, come on it's a freaking 5150! It's going to sound more modern off the bat because it has 6L6's stock. That's about all the input I can give.

The Bugera can use 6L6s too I think, but I agree that the 5150 sounds more modern.

^The 333XL is a copy of the JSX.

EDIT: mike.h, why don't you try to find a JSX combo?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
The Bugera can use 6L6s too I think, but I agree that the 5150 sounds more modern.

Yeah but then we make mike spend another ~$100 on a retube kit. Either way a retube kit is kind of necessary on Bugeras as that is the problem with them. Bad power tube = blown fuse = oh noesz my mapz!
Quote by gwitersnamps
Doesn't Bugera make an amp based off of the 5150?

6260 = based on 5150
6262 = based on 5150+

So i've heard anyways.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
6260 = based on 5150
6262 = based on 5150 II

So i've heard anyways.

Fixed.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
5150 hands down.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
5150 hands down.

Would it really be much better than the 333XL for blues and clean?

aznrocker - The 333XL tends to sound more like a Recto than a JSX. Gooley said he liked the 333XL he tried better than the JSX.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

I think you should look at the Bugera 6260 or 6262 too, 'cause it's based off the 5150, and if I remember correctly it has some decent cleans.
Yeah, but the 62 series is only 2 channel, and I prefer the lead tones of the 333XL
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
Would it really be much better than the 333XL for blues and clean?

Eh, I don't think it will be any BETTER than the Bugera for that stuff, but I don't think it's much worse, and.. imo, the great lead channel is worth it.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Peaveys are 100% better than Bugeras, not to mention that they use higher quality capacitors and have better input and output jacks, They sound way better than Bugeras. I compared a peavey 5150 (used) against a Bugera, at a guitar store, the peavey was way better, the sound was fuller and more consistant.
Yeah, I understand that the Peavey sounds a bit thicker.

I just don't know whether that extra bit of thickness is worth sacrificing that versatility. I have contacted the guy with the 5150 though, maybe he can demo it for me.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

I own both and as I said before I prefer the Peavey. But clean channel.. No way. That bugera clean channel is way better. While I'm faithful to my 5150 and love it, to the guy who said the clean channel on the 5150 was "awe inspiring" you must have not played to many amps man! lol I'd A/b another amp to go with my 5150 for a clean channel.
Quote by hcsn2008
I own both and as I said before I prefer the Peavey. But clean channel.. No way. That bugera clean channel is way better. While I'm faithful to my 5150 and love it, to the guy who said the clean channel on the 5150 was "awe inspiring" you must have not played to many amps man! lol I'd A/b another amp to go with my 5150 for a clean channel.

Read it again.
Mike have you compared both amps. It's best for you to play what you want to on the amp to get a real feel for it. Sure someone else can do an incredible let's say Paul Gilbert-esque demo for you but what good does it do you? You have to check it out yourself. Both amps.
Quote by maggot2011
Read it again.
Mike have you compared both amps. It's best for you to play what you want to on the amp to get a real feel for it. Sure someone else can do an incredible let's say Paul Gilbert-esque demo for you but what good does it do you? You have to check it out yourself. Both amps.

I agree.