i just oiled my guitar neck with the strings on.
after doing so i realized it could have messed with the strings?

does anyone no the answer?
to oil the fretboard and keep it healthy. You are supposed to use a small amount every 6 months or so. Usually thats when you change the strings so you can get under their easier.
It'll probably corrode them quicker, but you are a fool, take them off then use lemon oil!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
nah, if anything you just got a free guitar string cleaning

fast fret/the ernie ball wonder wipes both have lemon oil in it, so trust me when i say it would help your strings more than hurt them
EDIT: it wont hurt as long as you wipe it down afterwards*
Current Gear-
Ibanez RG321
Peavey Rage 258
Rogue LX400
Fender Rumble 15
its bad for it but i use it to lube my strings. but i go through strings pretty quickly anyway
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Quote by Anonymous9001
to oil the fretboard and keep it healthy. You are supposed to use a small amount every 6 months or so. Usually thats when you change the strings so you can get under their easier.

You're better off buying actual cleaner designed for the guitar make.
EDIT: ^

Half the so called 'guitar fretboard cleaners' are just lemon oil anyways. Not to mention you can't use them on maple necks, so they are just rosewood fretboard cleaners. And they don't clean, they just make sure it's healthy and make it last longer!!

Damn you misleading marketing ploys!

Quote by Sakattack75
its bad for it but i use it to lube my strings. but i go through strings pretty quickly anyway

Heh, lube.

And, it would probably reduce the life a bit. But hey, they're strings, if you notice them dying then you change them anyways. It's not like you have to keep them on for the next 10 years.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Nov 29, 2008,
Quote by X&Y
You're better off buying actual cleaner designed for the guitar make.

and paying through the nose for it
Quote by Atomic48
Nothing's impossible if you have the proper artillery.

Quote by Prole
In-depth common sense, at your service.

I Witnessed The Glory Of GORHL!

"It all shall fall, by the grace of the people." - ZDLR in Producer.
This is random and unrelated but I'm still surprised Carvin recommends using furniture polish on my guitar to clean it.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
lol
your supposed to take the strings off BEFORE you oil the neck.
and i would use some fretboard oil, like jim dunlop stuff.
anything licensed like that.
Its just safer.
lemon oil could warp your neck(too much of this other stuff could too, keep in mind)
Quote by MESAexplorer
This is random and unrelated but I'm still surprised Carvin recommends using furniture polish on my guitar to clean it.

Why? Lots of people do it, particularly on natural finish instruments like warwicks.

Quote by stratdud39
lol
lemon oil could warp your neck(too much of this other stuff could too, keep in mind)

Lmfao, what? You know lemon oil is specifically designed to go on your fretboard? People aren't just squeezing lemons onto their fretboards you know!!
Quote by budget bassist
Why? Lots of people do it, particularly on natural finish instruments like warwicks.

Lmfao, what? You know lemon oil is specifically designed to go on your fretboard? People aren't just squeezing lemons onto their fretboards you know!!

i'm aware of that...
and lemon oil was not designed to go on your fretboard...whered you hear that?
Quote by stratdud39
i'm aware of that...

It says it on the bottle
Quote by stratdud39
i'm aware of that...

It's pretty much the standard for fretboard cleaning. Except on Maple. Don't do that.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Is it that dunlop 350 stuff or whatever its called, I always take the strings off to put it on, let it dry, then wipe of the excess.
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.
Quote by TooFast
It's pretty much the standard for fretboard cleaning. Except on Maple. Don't do that.

ah nvm
THIS is what i heard.
I saw a kid asking if he should use lemon oil in my local music store, and they told him it wasnt such a good idea.
He had a strat with a maple fretboard...so yeah i guess thats it.
Yeah, don't use it on maple, it says on unfinished woods on the bottle, so that's rosewood and unfinished woods like on warwicks (waxed) or on musicman necks (waxed and oiled)
I'm not sure if it damages the maple, but it turns it a blackish color. Some may like that dirty look. I don't, however.
Quote by Ez0ph
I remember that

Quote by Firenze

Not only is it bad for your strings, it's bad for your fretboard as well. Throw that junk out and pick up something good like Fret Doctor .
Guitars:
Agile PS900 Blue Flame: SD Blackouts, TonePros TOM, Grover Locking Mini-Rotomatic Tuners.
Amps:
Peavey 5150 Head w/Bias Mod.
Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by madrigal77
Not only is it bad for your strings, it's bad for your fretboard as well. Throw that junk out and pick up something good like Fret Doctor .

It's only bad if it's Maple as far as I know. Lemon oil is recommended in the guitar/bass FAQ.
Quote by Ez0ph
I remember that

Quote by Firenze

Quote by budget bassist

Furniture polish is widely regarded as a no no because it adds too much moisture and gives the guitar too much of a layer of protection, which disallows the wood to dry/age properly.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
They're strings...does it really matter? If they go funny, put some new ones on. It's a no-brainer.
I use kyser Dr. Stringfellow, string cleaner and lubricant.

You can also use it to lubricate the fret, it makes you gain a bit of speed IMO it just wreks.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P