This has come up to me more then a few times now and I'm clueless what these are. I'm guessing a kind of minor but I', not too sure. These are two examples.

E F G Am and F# G A Bm

I'm pretty good with my theory but this stumps me everytime. Its not plain major or minor so what are they?

ESP WA-600 - Ibanez RG350DX - Fender 60th Anniversary Strat

JSX 212 Combo - Peavey Vypyr 30

Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Last edited by NickoAbate at Nov 29, 2008,
well the first progression im going to say is Am. now i know that the E should be minor but if youre using a harmonic minor scale at the time then this chord is necessary.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Fernandes Ravelle Deluxe
LTD EX-400BD
LTD EC-1000
LTD V-500
Zoom 707II Pedal
Vox Satchurator Pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby Slash
Marshall MG100DFX...
sorry i posted the second one wrong before i edited it, i still dont see how they work with relation to semitones and all lol

ESP WA-600 - Ibanez RG350DX - Fender 60th Anniversary Strat

JSX 212 Combo - Peavey Vypyr 30

Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
first one is A minor, although technically the E should be dominant.
second one is the same progression, moved up a whole step, so it's in B minor.

for songs that use variations on these progressions, listen to all along the watchtower, the end of stairway to heaven, etc.

EDIT:
the chord progression is V-VI-VII-i
and as for the 2nd one, ive just had a wee mess around on the piano and i think its the key of Bm. as with the 1st set of chords this would only be used when playing a descending Bm melodic scale. the reason for this is that the 6th and 7th note of the melodic scale are flattened when descending i.e. the Bb and Ab become A and G. this is why G (G+B+D) and A (A+C#+E) work.

its kinda complicated to explain but if ive got it all right it makes sense

hope it helps!
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Fernandes Ravelle Deluxe
LTD EX-400BD
LTD EC-1000
LTD V-500
Zoom 707II Pedal
Vox Satchurator Pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby Slash
Marshall MG100DFX...