Page 1 of 3
so, i know you have all heard the typical 'blues guy shows up shredder and melts his face off' etc right? well hears a story that goes the other way. (no, not like that)

i was busking in Winchester, going through my short set list of Stratovarius, Malmsteen Rusty Cooley and random classical songs. As i finished the intro lick to riders by Rusty Cooley a guy came up to me and said: 'That music is crap, play some real music like Mozart or something' *gives me extreme evils* so i went ahead and played rondo alla turca and he put his hand on my fretboard and goes, pfft, blues music is the only real music' *more extreme evils* so i tried my best to play bluesy licks improvising in pentatonics badly. when i finished i asked him ' that good enough?' and he spat on my gig bag, kicked it making a load of money fall out and walked off. i finished picking up my stuff and was left amazed, i thought things like this were trolls pissing of bluesheads and metalheads on forums, not real!

i've never met someone so much of an elitist that they can get pissed of at someone shredding and be like this, i know its only one douchebag, but I'm sure you've all met people like this, now that i know they are real.

share your stories of people getting really angry because of their own musical elitism, or whatever but please don't turn this into a flame thread, or ill report you/ delete this thread if it gets too bad.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I get the feeling you could have played the perfect blues song and he still would've done it
Crap story.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
He would have been fine until he spit on my stuff.

Then I would have put on a different kind of show for the passersby by whipping his ass, breaking his hands, then shouting "PLAY SOME MOZART! HERE - HERE'S MY GUITAR!!"
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Xiaoxi
Crap story.

Crap post.

On topic: You should have honestly sorted that ****er out, he sounds like a total asshole.
****... You're only 14 years and play like that?
Respect...

Quote by Xiaoxi
Crap story.

Not sure. Check his profile. He can play that stuff.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

well, ima scrawny 14 year old, he was a guy who looked mid 40s..

edit: urik, first, im amazed how fast people reply, and also, thanks, much appreciated

yeah i hate those people. The "**** technique, music isnt about theory, you gotta have feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeling" of course by feeling they mean bending the G string a bunch of times with a wah pedal while singing about ODing on heroin
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
I'm probably one of those elitist types. I HATE musicians who can't read sheet music (especially bassists) and for me, prog is the only true type of music to play.
Quote by metallicafan616

i was busking in Winchester

There's your problem. Unless you have a bright blue double bass then you are not relevant.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
He spat on your gig bag and kicked it? Good on you for self restraint. I would be considering fucking him up as soon as he touched the fretboard.
Quote by Fuzzbox91
yeah i hate those people. The "**** technique, music isnt about theory, you gotta have feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeling" of course by feeling they mean bending the G string a bunch of times with a wah pedal while singing about ODing on heroin

well said,

why can't people respect other people for how they wanna play guitar???
He's partially right, you shouldn't play Shred or Neo-Classical if you're planning to busk.
That's just plain stupid.
Quote by Fuzzbox91

Well, music SHOULD have feeling, but technique is just as important. If you don't know how to convey what you feel, then it's not going to come out right anyway, and that's where technique comes in.

Can't have one without the other.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by creeping.death!
You should've kicked his ass.

have you seen his profile???? he did kick his ass weather the douche bag blues wash up will admit it or not. sounds to me like this douchebag as well as xiaoxi are just jealous. but that means your playing well.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
Quote by Orbit91
He's partially right, you shouldn't play Shred or Neo-Classical if you're planning to busk.

So he's partially right by him saying "That music is ****, play some mozart"
So he does, then says "Blues music is only real music"
So he plays some blues,
And proceeds to spit and kick on his gig bag with money in he obviously received by ongo'ers?
Quote by Orbit91

He said that money fell out of the gig bag when the guy kicked it, he was obviously doing something right
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
Quote by strat0blaster
Well, music SHOULD have feeling, but technique is just as important. If you don't know how to convey what you feel, then it's not going to come out right anyway, and that's where technique comes in.

Can't have one without the other.

i never said it shouldnt you are right, but you shouldnt just pass off music theory and technique as "useless mumbo jumbo" TS is only 14 and hes got technique down pretty damn well, the emotion and feeling will probably come later.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Wow, what a dick. You really should've given him a bloody nose.

If you don't like something, fine, but you don't have to be a dick about it. So many negative people these days.
Quote by Pooinsky
He's partially write by him saying "That music is ****, play some mozart"
So he does then says "Blues music is only real music"
So he plays some blues
And proceeds to spit and kick on his gig bag with money in he obviously received by ongo'ers?

He's right on the 3rd point you mentioned.
If he wants to busk, he shouldn't play poorly phrased Shred, especially Rusty Cooley.
He shouldn't play Blues either, he should play classic rock anthems, or Pop.

If he wants to make any money off busking, he needs to learn about demographics, and people's tastes.

Quote by ravioli123
He said that money fell out of the gig bag when the guy kicked it, he was obviously doing something right

Chocolate Pennies always fall out of my Christmas stockings, it doesn't mean my parents are doing Christmas right
Quote by urik

Not sure. Check his profile. He can play that stuff.

Oh no, I don't care about that stuff, I just thought it was stupid story. Now the one about pretending to be a conjoined twin soliciting for sex...that was good.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Orbit91

It's not like he was playing complete wank-fest stuff...

I've never considered myself a 'shred' person... But I can play quite fast, when I like to...

Anyways, a guy (when I was in high school) told me to play with "emotion, like the blues", while I was improvising over the progression to "house of the rising sun"...

I wasn't playing anything too technical or wank-ish... But I "didn't play like SRV... So it didn't have emotion..." what does that mean?

How old was the guy who kicked your bag, TS?
Quote by roshjosh

looked mid 40s, and as like most people he was alot bigger than me.

Quote by roshjosh
It's not like he was playing complete wank-fest stuff...

I've never considered myself a 'shred' person... But I can play quite fast, when I like to...

Anyways, a guy (when I was in high school) told me to play with "emotion, like the blues", while I was improvising over the progression to "house of the rising sun"...

I wasn't playing anything too technical or wank-ish... But I "didn't play like SRV... So it didn't have emotion..." what does that mean?

I'm pretty sure Rusty Cooley is complete wank-fest stuff
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I'm probably one of those elitist types. I HATE musicians who can't read sheet music (especially bassists) and for me, prog is the only true type of music to play.

Well, then you are officialy an asshole.
Quote by metallicafan616
looked mid 40s, and as like most people he was alot bigger than me.

So, he was unarmed and you had a guitar/war club.

I like to think I'm a musical elitist because it would go well with my "magnificent bastard" attitude but truthfully, I'm not.
Last edited by Trefellin at Nov 29, 2008,
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Lol?

Sucks that that happened to you dude, start working out, and nobody will **** with you.

Also, learn some grappling or something, like I'm doing haha.
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
I cant stand elitists. He's just jealous of your skills.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
Quote by metallicafan616
well, ima scrawny 14 year old, he was a guy who looked mid 40s..

edit: urik, first, im amazed how fast people reply, and also, thanks, much appreciated

thats awesome, dude. he was prolly just like me, ashamed of how **** he is compared to 14 yr olds lol. (im 18, but still...damn.)
The dude sounds like an asshole. C'mon, what a jackass to pick on someone who is like 30 years younger.

Hunt him down, TS.
Page 1 of 3