I have a talent show(its not a contest type, just for show) coming up in a couple of weeks. There aren't any bassists or drummers who are willing to play in the show, so I want to play a solo piece. I originally had an idea of playing a medley of famous riffs(with the backing tracks), but my guitar teacher suggested I play Lenny by SRV. I've been playing for about 2 years and I think I could play it pretty well. Do you think middle school students could appreciate this song?

I have a fender blues deluxe that gives a really nice clean tone, so I don't need to worry about my gear.

I would also add in some improv to spice it up.
1989 Fender MIA Strat Ultra
2006 Fender Standard Strat
1985 MIJ Fender Telecaster
Martin SPD-16R

Fender Blues Deluxe

Fulltone OCD :
EH Memory Man
Xotic RC Booster
Boss RC-20XL(looper)
Last edited by 89stratburst at Nov 29, 2008,
Quote by 89stratburst
I have a talent show(its not a contest type, just for show) coming up in a couple of weeks. There aren't any bassists or drummers who are willing to play in the show, so I want to play a solo piece. I originally had an idea of playing a medley of famous riffs(with the backing tracks), but my guitar teacher suggested I play Lenny by SRV. I've been playing for about 2 years and I think I could play it pretty well. Do you think middle school students could appreciate this song?

I have a fender blues deluxe that gives a really nice clean tone, so I don't need to worry about my gear.
Do you think you could play it so they would? They'll appreciate confidence, trust me. I played "Purple Haze" in my school's talent show and a LOT more people than I thought really enjoyed it. All you have to do is have the song down pat and be confident and it'll go fine.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
eh, i doubt it. i covered Machine Gun at a show on September 18 (the day jimi died), and it quite obviously just bored people.

most songs that are just all guitar will bore most people. especially at a middle school.
Quote by xrawrockkillsx
eh, i doubt it. i covered Machine Gun at a show on September 18 (the day jimi died), and it quite obviously just bored people.

most songs that are just all guitar will bore most people. especially at a middle school.

Depends. At my middle school I played Jordan, since that was from GHII tons of people knew it and respected it. It was a competitive-type talent show, and I won. Just depends on your audience.
If I was in that audience I would absolutely love to hear the song Lenny

but with today's young kids mainly liking raping and hip hop, it makes a tough choice to make. there is always the choice of picking a popular guitar hero song, that usually gets school crowds who don't know much about actual guitar in to it. but if you're confident enough and are able to really play Lenny well then you should go for it.
i like broccoli and long drives at the beach on my segway
Quote by Rockoz
If I was in that audience I would absolutely love to hear the song Lenny

but with today's young kids mainly liking raping and hip hop, it makes a tough choice to make. there is always the choice of picking a popular guitar hero song, that usually gets school crowds who don't know much about actual guitar in to it. but if you're confident enough and are able to really play Lenny well then you should go for it.

What kind of school did you go too?!?!

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
^well, raping and hip hop kinda go hand in hand, right?

I think I will play two songs, Lenny(one the audience won't recognize) and maybe a famous rock song that they will be familiar with.

Any good but not overplayed rock songs UG would like to suggest?
Maybe a Led Zep song with a easy solo. I was thinking black dog, but I can't play the solo.
Martin SPD-16R

Fender Blues Deluxe

Fulltone OCD :
EH Memory Man
Xotic RC Booster
Boss RC-20XL(looper)
Dude play lenny man.

If you play the song with a basic pentatonic solo in the middle, people will love it.

Even if it's not their taste, they will appreciate ur confidence.

Children of Bodom Covered Britney spears at a metal show. That's even more ****ing weird.

I jammer at a local hip hop open mic. I pulled 1 tapping lick, and although they dislike rock music, they loved it.

It can work in ur favour. They see simple things as very hard, so why not take advantage of it? IF they don't like rock music anyway.

I'm sure they will appreciate such a piece, but you must play it good. Even if they don't play guitar, if ur out of time they will notice. Especially if u play with out a backing band, it wil totally kill the groove if u play out of time.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 30, 2008,
You'd probably get more of a standing ovation from the crowd as a full by playing something like Pride and Joy, or Texas Flood(if you can sing) because it's from guitar hero (as the guy who did Jordan.)

Something that's recognizable and if you pull it off right will get you more recognition. SRV isn't exactly popular with middle schoolers, I would at least generalize that most of these kids listen to hip-hop and rap.

Also, could you sing a long with it?
I would rather not sing. I don't think anyone deserves to hear that, lol

I think i will play two songs,

Lenny(unrecognizable, but beautiful)

Rock n Roll with the backing track with vocals(hopefully recognizable Led Zep song, not on guitar hero, but whatever

I will play Lenny first, then Rock and Roll. Put em' to sleep, them slap em' in the face.

What do you guys think of my set?
Martin SPD-16R

Fender Blues Deluxe

Fulltone OCD :
EH Memory Man
Xotic RC Booster
Boss RC-20XL(looper)
IF its a middle school, fallout boy is your only option.

sucks!
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Quote by kaosfire
IF its a middle school, fallout boy is your only option.

sucks!

No way in hell. ever.
Martin SPD-16R

Fender Blues Deluxe

Fulltone OCD :
EH Memory Man
Xotic RC Booster
Boss RC-20XL(looper)
Quote by MulanoSG
What kind of school did you go too?!?!

LOL haha what a typo

but yeah anyways, definitely go for playing lenny
i like broccoli and long drives at the beach on my segway
Quote by Rockoz
LOL haha what a typo

but yeah anyways, definitely go for playing lenny

Maybe not?

he never said he's currently attending the school.

his profile says he was bron in 1990, making him 18..

either way an 18 year-old in middle school or an 18 year-old playing at a talent show for a middle school is pretty funny.

no offense
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Two good friends and I played Lenny for the string section of the annual music festival at school. We ended up with 20/20, because Rob was an amazing guuitarist and had just learnt it so well. Think of it like this, even if they don't enjoy it, get two good friends, and you will certainly enjoy it. Some people can appreciate it, but yeah, to a lot of people, it just looks like messing about and improv if they're not paying attention. But I say go for it.