Just looking for any good metal songs for the bass. Solo's, riffs, whatever, what do you like to play?
There's a sticky for just this....use it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
There's a sticky for just this....use it.

The sticky isn't that good.

I'd recommend Necrophagist, Cynic, Atheist and Sadus.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
The sticky is for bass in general. I don't want any Jaco, or marcus miller (i have no problem with them, i'm just not that good, lol) I'm just looking for METAL songs.
Panic Attack by Dream Theater isnt too hard. Really fun though when played really well. Soul Of Black? by Testament (i think thats what its called) the intro bass solo is fun.
Quote by SinnerTim
The sticky is for bass in general. I don't want any Jaco, or marcus miller (i have no problem with them, i'm just not that good, lol) I'm just looking for METAL songs.

There's quite a bit of Metal in there.

Cannibal Corpse has some good bass parts and their earlier material is in Eb so you don't have to down tune that much.

Metallica has some nice fills and such.

Black Sabbath has great basslines

I'm sure many Tech. Death Metal bands will be mentioned as well.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Try into the pit by testament, constant motion by dream theater and holy wars by megadeth if you want something that will keep you on your toes.
Quote by budget bassist
Try into the pit by testament, constant motion by dream theater and holy wars by megadeth if you want something that will keep you on your toes.

Into the Pit and Holy Wars are great songs as well. Early Testament and pretty much anything else with Steve DiGiorgio.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Applehead
It has to Phantom of The Opera, every bassist should know that!!

You win!
Quote by BladeSlinger
Into the Pit and Holy Wars are great songs as well. Early Testament and pretty much anything else with Steve DiGiorgio.

He is awesome, but it's hard to achieve his tone.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Quote by valdean
He is awesome, but it's hard to achieve his tone.

Doesn't he use a fretless? or is that the newer one?
He's the reason I want a fretless.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
He's the reason I want a fretless.

Yeah, I love fretless basses in metal. Sean Malone does a fantastic job of that as well.

Honestly, I think sometimes fretless basses in fit in metal better than fretted. Especially when the player has long, dissonant glissandos, and things of that sort. Really allows for some different "textures" (pun intended ).
Quote by CurbstompBass
Yeah, I love fretless basses in metal. Sean Malone does a fantastic job of that as well.

Honestly, I think sometimes fretless basses in fit in metal better than fretted. Especially when the player has long, dissonant glissandos, and things of that sort. Really allows for some different "textures" (pun intended ).

Reminds me of the Death song The Philosopher. I like to play Metal on my school's upright bass once I remember where all the frets would be....Tears up my fingers when I do slides though. Hopefully I'll be playing it next year since it's current player is graduating. That will give me some great practice for fretless bass playing.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Reminds me of the Death song The Philosopher. I like to play Metal on my school's upright bass once I remember where all the frets would be....Tears up my fingers when I do slides though. Hopefully I'll be playing it next year since it's current player is graduating. That will give me some great practice for fretless bass playing.

Great song and great bassline. The quick little fills are a pain on the upright, though.

Are you going to join the orchestra? If so, get ready to learn bowing.

It's great help for fretless, though. Not to mention, your finger strength is going to increase a lot. I play it for school (longer than I've played electric, actually), and it makes bass guitar a breeze.
Quote by CurbstompBass

That song is one of the reasons I want a fretless.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Metallica stuff... like orion, anesthia, seek and destroy... their live stuff's pretty sweet "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysy4_Sx3iew"
Black Sabbath. Metallica. Megadeth- especially dave ellefson's stuff. Iron Maiden. Dragonforce - the valley of the damned has some nice basslines.
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
Quote by CurbstompBass
Great song and great bassline. The quick little fills are a pain on the upright, though.

Are you going to join the orchestra? If so, get ready to learn bowing.

It's great help for fretless, though. Not to mention, your finger strength is going to increase a lot. I play it for school (longer than I've played electric, actually), and it makes bass guitar a breeze.

We don't have an orchestra. We're much too small, our bass is the only string the school owns. Our instrumental band is only 30 to 40 people. When in concert band the upright is bowed so I'll have to learn. If I get the hang of it I might even see if they have honor band or all district music for upright.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls