HEY , guessing this is the best place to post this...
I have a Ibanez GRX40, the same one that's in the Ibanez starter pack, i was wondering if its worth it to put new pickups and new tuners on it ? its my first guitar and i like the feel of the neck and the guitar itself.i paid like 250 for the guitar and a amp. now is it worth it to put like 300 bucks into it to for tuners and pickups? or would i just be wasting my money?
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
It'd probably make more sense spending that money on upgrading you SE custom, unless you already have done/are happy with the SE.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
haven't actually got to play it on my rig yet lol its a Christmas present, but i played it in the store and it was awesome. so say i did upgrade the SE would spending money on the ibanez be worth it?
Ibanez GRX40 - modified

Transformice
i think $300 seems a lot for tuners and pickups for a GRX40. if the neck is exceptionally straight, you might put a little money into it, but i'd keep that modest.

you mentioned tuners. if you're having problems with tuning stability, you should evaluate carefully. your problem may be in your bridge or nut. new tuners might not be the answer. of course, if it's just a question of smooth operation, some well made tuners with a high ratio might be just what you need.

and you also mentioned upgrading the SE. if you are replacing the pickups, one of those HBs being removed from it might be much better than the one in your GRX. that could save you a few bucks, yes?

price it out, but i would suggest trying to keep the cost of upgrades for the GRX limited to about $150. much more than that, and you'd be better off selling it and using the money from the sale and your upgrade money on a better guitar. you will lose much of the money for any upgrades upon sale of the guitar.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
^ Agreed! Unless he plans to keep it forever. Since there's a decent amp already, I'd watch eBay for used PUs. You can also use that 1st guitar as a platfom for trying out new switches, pots, PUs, and wiring combinations.

As far as the tuners go, I've noticed that some of the cheapest guitars have tuners that hold tune pretty reliably. So, check out your stringing technique, too.

^

Along the lines of what SYK said:

By all means, upgrade the guitar - I'd never advise against that - but keep things sensible. Either get some big-name pickups and tuners second hand, or look into GuitarFetish and Tonerider stock.
OK thanks for the help guys
the tuners on the grx stay in tune really well they hardly go out of tune and when they do its not a lot, guess i don't really need new tuners. using a p up from the SE if i change them is a good idea thanks SYK.
Ibanez GRX40 - modified

Transformice
instead of making a new thread..... does anyone know if the pickguard on a RG350DX will fit on my ibanez grx40? my friend might buy the rg and he said i could have the pickguard

8 months and i still havent modded it yet lol
Ibanez GRX40 - modified

Transformice
Quote by Rocketface2112
instead of making a new thread..... does anyone know if the pickguard on a RG350DX will fit on my ibanez grx40? my friend might buy the rg and he said i could have the pickguard

Just find out if he buys it! Take it off, and line it up.
Quote by Rocketface2112

dunno for sure, but I'm guessing ... not.

GRX40:

RG350DX:

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jul 5, 2009,
^ The only issue I see with that is that the 350 has 24 frets, so the neck cuts further into the pickguard. It might fit onto the GRX40, but you'll have a gap between the end of the neck and start of the pickguard. Also, your pickup positions will be buggered.