So I have this chord progression I wanna base a song around it's: Am-G-F-E
My problem is that i don't know what notes to use for the vocal melody or for a solo because it doesn't really fit into any one scale. Any suggestions?
Quote by zac362
not many ppl have heard of the lochrian mode, mainly cos its only really usefull for mindless shredding
It's in Am. Just substitute G for G# over the E chord (or use the G as a grace note).
^ i - bVII - bVI is a common rock progression it is present in heaps and heaps of rock songs, adding V is a natural extension in the descending natural minor root movement and the major quality of the V provides the strong harmonic resolution that is so enjoyable.

Here's a quote from book I'm reading right now regarding this exact progression-

"It's not exaggeration to say that this i bVII bVI V7 progression has become legendary in it's own right, a universally understood vehicle for 'jammin' guitarissts everywhere. As well as [Del Ray's] Runaway and The Ventures 'Walk Don't Run', the identical sequence would later spawn such classics as The Animals' 'Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood', The Stray Cats' 'Stray Cat Strut', and Dire Straits 'Sutlans of Swing'. Each repeatedly cycles around a sequence whose slow-burning minor menace can also be spotted throughout Flamenco and Latin music."

Then the footnote: "Not forgegtting the many great songs based on this sequence but with the briefest of variations. Some of the author's favourites include the Mamas and The Papa's 'California Dreamin'', (Which revisits the bVII before a V7sus4; Jimi Hendrix's (Hey Baby) New Rising Sun' (Replaces V with IV); and The Cure's 'Fire in Cairo' (embellishes bVII with bIII during the descent).

He conitinues "As if further proof were needed when MOJO magazine nominated theyir '100 Greatest Singles of All Time', in August 1997, they settled on The Beach Boys' 'Good Vibrations' as their No.1, a song whose verse follows the same formula precisely.

Footnote: Good Vibrations features two hearings of Ebm - Db - Cb - Bb followed by a shift to the relative major for the chorus - through a clever functional V7-I move.

The Beatles song 'I'll Be Back' also uses this progression in the verse but completes the move with a switch to the Parallel Major for the bridge with it's progression i-bVII6-bVImaj7-V-I (so moves from Am-G6-Fmaj7-E-A)

EDIT: To TS - Blue Strat is on the money - Stick with Am. Over the E you might want to throw in some melodic minor (Am with F# and G# against he Major E chord).

EDIT2: apparently this i-bVII-bVI-V progression is called the Andalusian Cadence even though it is not always used as a cadence but is usually a repeated chord progression. It's in Wiki if you don't believe me and they list some classical examples that employ the same progression including parts of Carmina Burana (Oh Fortuna) and Ciaconna from Partita in D minor for solo violin by J S Bach.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Nov 29, 2008,