I made a thread on this a while back but it never really took off, most probably because I didn't include much on the first post but I've actually written a decent review of this on another forum just now so I've deleted the age-old post and I'm starting again from scratch. I'm just going to copy and pasta what I wrote on the other forum. It's a long thread but I really think it deserves it.

I'm going to write a movie recommendations but I'm willing to bet most of you already know of it - just haven't seen it :p. I am of course referring to Infernal Affairs, of which The Departed (Scorsese film ft. Matt Damon and Dicaprio) remade it. The original is a Chinese Trilogy that won Best Movie in Hong Kong and subsequently, the biggest selling movie of all time in Asia with 2 of the biggest stars to come out of Hong Kong (asides from Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee). The original surpasses the remake by miles and all the comedy theatrics present in the latter are no where to be seen in Infernal Affairs. To those of you who have never seen The Departed - don't, not until you've watch the original or, after having watched the Full Trilogy, don't ruin the genuis and complex script by being disappointed at the Scorsese film.

The Plot of Infernal Affairs One
The basic plot for Infernal Affairs is extremely simple to begin with but so complex as you watch through the Trilogy that makes it so much more complex - as well as completely adding to the "wow" factor that this was someone's genuis script. There is an undercover cop in the triads (Yan as played by Tony Leung) and a triad mole in the police force (Lau as played by Andy Lau). Throughout the film both come close to revealing the other's identity whilst desperately trying to keeps their own tracks concealed. The pressure continues to build on both protagonists under the scrutiny of their bosses and loved ones.

Trailer for Infernal Affairs

I can't go onto the plots for Infernal Affairs II or III because it does ruin Infernal Affairs I. Every store should have the trilogy and I'm so ashamed that it never really lifted in the US - although it was remade into The Departed, which went onto receive many Grammy Nominations. Scorsese has continuously insisted it is not his script and gives full credit to the original film as well as correcting the mistaken assumption that the film is Japanese (which it actually is Chinese, being produced and directed in Hong Kong).

This, along with Chungking Express (previously recommended by me if you search UG), are the biggest films ever in Asian Cinema.

The two protagonists are played by Tony Leung and Andy Lau. Tony Leung also is the main protagonist in Chungking Express (as the Cop in the Second Story). Their prespective love interests are big time female music idols in Hong Kong - Sammi Cheng and Kelly Chen. Andy Lau and Tony Leung are also very big in the music business, with the former being the most prominent out of them all. You may recognise Andy Lau as the main character in the mainland China film, House of Flying Daggers.

Infernal Affairs II - is about the events before Infernal Affairs unfolded and how they became to be where they are.
Infernal Affairs III - is about the events after Infernal Affairs

Both these films star the original characters into more depth and alternate between the past and present. All I'll say is that the trilogy is very complex that you really have to pay attention to everything that goes on otherwise you won't understand it. It's not one of them really confusing movies that you don't understand at all (Vanilla Sky anyone? ) but once you understand it, it'll be in your heart forever.

Watch the originals now before The Departed II and III comes out! The Departed II is in the process of being made!! Don't spoil the originals!

Some screens are given from left to right: The first picture shows Andy Lau (as played by Matt Damon) with Sammi Cheng. The Second picture shows Eric Tsang (as played by Jack Nicholson). The third picture shows Anthony Wong (as played by Martin Sheen) and Tony Leung (as played by Dicaprio). The Fourth picture shows Kelly Chen and Tony Leung. The Fifth pictures shows both Andy Lau and Tony Leung.

The Departed missed out so many crucial factors which were important in Infernal Affairs. Infernal Affairs also featured more characters, which becomes really important as you shall see later on in the II and III.

For those of you who have already seen The Departed, here are the trailers for II and III, although I strongly recommend that you do not watch them if you haven't seen The Departed. It really does ruin the main film.

Infernal Affairs II
Infernal Affairs III

The film has the best acting that I have ever seen in a film. They are available in all stores, internationally - HMV, Amazon etc etc. Unlike most sequels and prequels, the film gets better. This trilogy is frequently called the Asian "Godfather" but I still think this movie is better...
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Nov 29, 2008,
I've heard a lot about them, but I haven't watched them yet.

But I'd really like to see them.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
I've heard a lot about them, but I haven't watched them yet.

But I'd really like to see them.

Go for it and let me know how it turns out.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by nightraven
watch out for the links - you might get harmy-roll'd!

But this is not such a Harmy-roll!
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Go for it. Personally, I believed the acting in Infernal Affairs was a lot better by miles than in the Departed. I also believe that the Departed added bits of comedy that I thought were unnecessary.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by master
I hate Asian flicks. I can never tell the characters apart.

You must be blind
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

these look good...will have to watch!
Quote by bearded_monkey
Oh man thats amazing, you win midi pure. I don't care whether it's a competition or not

Quote by halvies

could have been 3 's but there wasn't nearly enough exclamation marks to emphasize the anger/disbelief

oh yeah
Not a fan of subtitles, I find myself mostly looking at them and missing the subtleties of the movie, therefore I don't think I could find the acting any better than the departed.
the first IA was, in my opinion, a much better film than The Departed. things just felt right in it.

i haven't seen the other two, but i would like to do that sometime.
I'm glad at least one person has seen it. The best part of the films is the third and final installment, in my opinion. It showcases how Lau struggles to deal with the aftermath of Infernal Affairs often seeing him hallucinate that he is not "A Bad Man" but "A Good Man". He often mistakes his identity for Yan, especially when he is convinced the new guy is a mole, who mirrors his own image when he was pulling up the ranks.

The movie is supposed to detail the 7 days before the events of Infernal Affairs and several months after. It flashes back between the past (unseen material) and present and only after the third installment do you appreciate just how well made the trilogy is. In the Third Installment, you'll see a different type of Yan, a more happier Yan. Much of that can be attributed to Dr. Lee who you'll see plays more of a role than you think. In truth, it's only in the third installment where you come to believe just how important the characters were in IA - they'll all have more of a role.

Quote by LordBishek
Anyone who posts spoilers is an OILY TICK

I've been waiting to get that out all day.

Did you bump this?

¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Harmonius
I'm glad at least one person has seen it. The best part of the films is the third and final installment, in my opinion. It showcases how Lau struggles to deal with the aftermath of Infernal Affairs often seeing him hallucinate that he is not "A Bad Man" but "A Good Man". He often mistakes his identity for Yan, especially when he is convinced the new guy is a mole, who mirrors his own image when he was pulling up the ranks.

The movie is supposed to detail the 7 days before the events of Infernal Affairs and several months after. It flashes back between the past (unseen material) and present and only after the third installment do you appreciate just how well made the trilogy is. In the Third Installment, you'll see a different type of Yan, a more happier Yan. Much of that can be attributed to Dr. Lee who you'll see plays more of a role than you think. In truth, it's only in the third installment where you come to believe just how important the characters were in IA - they'll all have more of a role.

Did you bump this?

Nah, it was the dude before me
Quote by LordBishek
Nah, it was the dude before me

Awww, should have said it was you, otherwise you won't get sexed

EDIT: Are you on 24-hours? Oh wait, that's ctb
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Harmonius
Awww, should have said it was you, otherwise you won't get sexed

EDIT: Are you on 24-hours? Oh wait, that's ctb

Nah man, I just got up, I gotta go to Uni in a bit >_>
Bishek, you still here?

¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Infernal Affairs > Departed. I get a bit annoyed when someone talks so much good about Departed and then I ask them if they've seen the original they something like "Y0 crazy man". True story.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Infernal Affairs > Departed. I get a bit annoyed when someone talks so much good about Departed and then I ask them if they've seen the original they something like "Y0 crazy man". True story.

That's exactly the reason why I made such a long review of it. I want people to know the original.

So, it's been over a week now. Has anyone rented it yet?
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

I preferred The Departed, to be honest. IA trilogy was good, no doubt, but pieces of it seemed very cheesy - the soppy montage when the policeman was chucked out of the building springs to mind - and the whole style just didn't quite gel with me.

Maybe the humour of the originals was lost in translation through the subs, but I found the dialogue funnier, sharper and more engrossing in The Departed, too; also the cast was stellar, even Marky Mark did well.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Well, that's interesting. You're probably not familiar with Hong Kong cinema, but I can tell you that the Trilogy had a better cast (in terms of stars) - 4 very reknowned singer/songwriters - the two protagonists and their prospective love interests. In Hong Kong, they are massive. I also thought Infernal Affairs had better acting - to me, it felt right like the actors didn't need to do much but they really portrayed their characters well. I agree, there was hardly any comedic value in the trilogy, asides from the third one but that's what I liked about it and I didn't from the Departed. In the Departed, I found the humour to be cheesy tbh.

Again, I'm Chinese so I didn't need to read the subtitles. That's maybe why I preferred it.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by freddaahh
I preferred The Departed, to be honest. IA trilogy was good, no doubt, but pieces of it seemed very cheesy - the soppy montage when the policeman was chucked out of the building springs to mind - and the whole style just didn't quite gel with me.

Maybe the humour of the originals was lost in translation through the subs, but I found the dialogue funnier, sharper and more engrossing in The Departed, too; also the cast was stellar, even Marky Mark did well.

Dude, Mark Wahlberg was the best part of the whole film

"Because that would make us cunts. Are you calling us cunts?"
sorry about this but,

this thread has given me a craving for ramen noodles.

on topic, I thought The Departed was great, and I definitely would see IA, but I don't have time to spend watching movies with subs. I usually have to watch em twice.
But I must admit I didn't know there was original.
Quote by GettintheLedout
sorry about this but,

this thread has given me a craving for ramen noodles.

on topic, I thought The Departed was great, and I definitely would see IA, but I don't have time to spend watching movies with subs. I usually have to watch em twice.
But I must admit I didn't know there was original.

Try the Summer or during Christmas. Lots of people don't know there's an original in America because I don't think the original received much publicity - obvious I suppose if there was a remake that was American.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Harmonius

Try the Summer or during Christmas. Lots of people don't know there's an original in America because I don't think the original received much publicity - obvious I suppose if there was a remake that was American.

not Christmas, my break is jammed packed. But the summer is definitely a possibility.

If I remember.
Quote by Harmonius
Well, that's interesting. You're probably not familiar with Hong Kong cinema, but I can tell you that the Trilogy had a better cast (in terms of stars) - 4 very reknowned singer/songwriters - the two protagonists and their prospective love interests. In Hong Kong, they are massive. I also thought Infernal Affairs had better acting - to me, it felt right like the actors didn't need to do much but they really portrayed their characters well. I agree, there was hardly any comedic value in the trilogy, asides from the third one but that's what I liked about it and I didn't from the Departed. In the Departed, I found the humour to be cheesy tbh.

Again, I'm Chinese so I didn't need to read the subtitles. That's maybe why I preferred it.

I think the nuances of the script were lost in translation, as they often are. The subs seemed a bit sterile. I'm not familiar with Hong Kong cinema at all, but I'm interested in it, and I'm gradually building up my knowledge. Out of all the Asian cinema scenes, it's my favourite I've found, it's edgy and fast paced, as extreme in places as the Korean cinema, but it doesn't have those Manga-esque visuals of Japanese cinema, which I hate.

Quote by LordBishek
Dude, Mark Wahlberg was the best part of the whole film

"Because that would make us cunts. Are you calling us cunts?"

Hey, how's your mother?

She fine, tired from fucking my father.

He really surprised me with that role.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
If that's the case, I would like to recommend you another film: Chungking Express, which I'm sure you've already heard about from my first post. I'll just copy and pasta what I wrote from another forum:

Quote by Chungking Express
There is no doubt in my mind that Chungking Express is my favourite movie and not just because it's the best movie out there - it has a lot of sentimental value to it, for me personally, because I feel like a lot of the plot reminds me of, well me. The movie itself is a Chinese one starring Tony Leung (International Asian Super Actor who's won best Actor more than 3 times, most noted for his role in Infernal Affairs, of which the Scorsese film, The Departed was a remake of it) and Faye Wong (Music Icon in Asia).

It's a film about two different stories which connect (but the protagonists are not really known to each other in as great a detail as they think - the film is based around a fast-food diner and Chungking Mansions - a real life building full of shabby hostels in Hong Kong inhabited by many South Asian people and tourists). The two stories feature the lives of two love-torn cops, Cop 223 (played by Takeshi Kaneshiro) and Cop 633 (played by Tony Leung). In the first story, the Cop is getting grips to a breakup that has obvious emotional effects on him. Qiwu's (Cop 223) girlfriend May broke up with him on April 1st (April Fool's Day). His birthday is May 1 and he chooses to wait for May for a month before moving on. Every day he buys a tin of pineapple with an expiration date of May 1. By the end of this time, he feels that he will either be rejoined with his love or that it will have expired forever. His world will change when he meets up with a mysterious woman in a blonde wig.

The Second film vastly outweighs the first film, it's really hard to describe. In the second story, the unnamed Cop 663 (played by Tony Leung) is similarly dealing with a breakup, this time from a flight attendant (Valerie Chow). He meets Faye, the new girl at the snack bar (played by Faye Wong). She falls for him in secret, and frequently breaks into his apartment during the day to redecorate and "improve" his living situation. He doesn't suspect Faye at all, but personafies almost every household object in light of the change, for example, talking to a bar of soap about how it suddenly got so fat.

It's one of those films which really is for a lonely romantic and it's not a chickflick, drama or an action film. It's just a film about two lonely romantics and after watching it fully, you'll see another side to being a lonely romantic if you've ever experienced that at all or are going through the same thing. To sum up the genre, it's a serious comedy-noir, in the sense that the movie is so serious on a lot of issues that it's funny at the same time.

- The Movie is Top 10 Movies of all time as rated by TIME Magazine
- Critically acclaimed and probably the most well known Asian film besides, after Infernal Affairs.
- Rated 98% Rotten Tomatoes - I'm sure many of you know just how hard Rotten Tomato critics are. Well, here's the proof that they really like the film - 98%!
- Heavily endorsed by Quentin Tarentino
- In a poll published by Sight and Sound (the monthly magazine of the British Film Institute) asking fifty leading UK film critics to choose the ten best films from the past 25 years, Chungking Express was placed at number eight, and was described as arguably one of the best contemporary Asian films.
- Trailer
- Clip

A very melancholly but optimistic story of the love-torn romantic.

I understand I've written a very long post but I've just recently watched it for the second time. The first time I watched it was in 1994, when it came out, but I only watched parts of it. The Second time watching it has meant so much to me.

Most people here would probably prefer Infernal Affairs Trilogy but again, I stress, Chungking Express steals my heart because it bears a lot of sentimental value to me. I hope you guys watch them.

Here are some memorable quotes from the movie:

每个人都有失恋的时候,而每一次我失恋呢,我就会去跑步,因为跑步可以将你身体里面的水分蒸发掉,而让我不 那么容易流泪。

We're all unlucky in love sometimes. When I am, I go jogging. The body loses water when you jog so you have none left for tears

不知道从什么时候开始,在每个东西上面都有一个日子;秋刀鱼会过期,肉酱会过期,连保鲜纸都会过期。我开始 怀疑,在这个世界上,还有什么东西是不会过期的?

Somehow everything comes with an expiry date.Swordfish expires.Meat sauce expires.Even cling-film expires.Somehow i’m curious about that…Is there anything in the world which doesn’t?

不知道是我忘了关水龙头,还是房子越来越有感情?我一直以为他是最坚强的,没想到它会哭得最厉害。一个人哭 ,你只需要给他一包纸巾;可是一间房子哭,你可要多做很多功夫。

Did i leave the tap running…or is the apartment getting more tearful?I always thought it would cope okay.Didn’t expect it to cry so much.When people cry…they can dry their eyes with tissues.But when an apartment cries…it takes a lot to mop it up.

我们最接近的时候,我跟她之间的距离只有0.01公分。57个小时之后,我爱上了这个女人。

This was the closest we ever got.Just 0.01 of a centimeter between us.But 57 hours later…I fell in love with this woman.

如果记忆也是一个罐头的话,我希望这罐罐头不会过期;如果一定要加一个日子的话,我希望它是一万年。

If memories could be canned,would they also have expiry dates?If so,i hope they last for centuries.

她走了以后,家里很多东西都很伤心。每天晚上,我都要安慰他们才能睡觉。

Since she left,everything in the flat is sad.Everything needed lulling to sleep.

All quotes are said by the character inside his head (as a narrator).
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Dec 6, 2008,
I actually read all of that, it sounds very interesting. I think I saw a copy of it in the video rental shop, which has a very interesting stock of films. I'll try and get it next weekend.

O, I would have thought that the most famous Hong Kong film would be Hard Boiled, maybe I'm wrong though.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
lol. Hard Boil also features Tony Leung. He's a very famous actor. I don't consider Hard Boil to be anything special. It certainly wasn't one of those ground breaking movies like IA or Chungking Express was though.

Let me know what you thought of the movies
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Man you guys should watch the God of Gambler films and the Stephen Chow spoofs.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2puaI9V8Osc
Once I shaved them on a friends razor so when he picked it up he just goes "ARE THESE PUBES! OH MY GOD!" and starting beating the crap out of me.
Last edited by TERU at Dec 9, 2008,
Right. This has been on for some time. Has anyone managed to watch the series yet?
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤