Page 1 of 2
When I got this... well not really a guitar, but some plywood and rusty, rusty parts, this competition jumped immediately to mind.

My friend had a beaten up Samick strat copy laying around. Only, it had no innards, the frets were green (yes, green), and the tuners were in varying states of disrepair.

My old yamaha donated some tuner casings and busings, one string tree, a bridge (except the trem block), saddles, output jack, capacitor, one pot, and some pickguard screws.

My epiphone donated a nut, the 2 missing saddles, a broken pickguard, and neck plate, some other tuner parts, and saddle height adjustment screws.

This is basically 3 guitars in a blender.

And a tung oil job on the neck.

I bought a fret polishing kit, lemon oil, and strings, bringing the grand total of this build to....

$21.19 Canadian.

Oh hells yes.

Pics you ask for? Deals.

The previous owner

Before

After

I know, it doesn't look different at all... but hey, I did a lot of work on this thing.

I also had a bitch of a time getting the bridge out. It got so scratched up in the process, I just ended up doing a ****ty relic job.

Still to come:

Rewire with high quality parts

Get new tuners and find 3rd string's saddle screw.

Complete relic job ---> Make chrome parts rusty, cig burn on headstock, more convincing paint wear out, tinted amber neck.

Under 100GBP? Definitely.

What does UG think?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Øttər at Nov 29, 2008,
3 pics are the same ?

edit were

looks pretty sweet :P
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Looking good, dude.

This is going to be cool, and help to prove that you don't have to spend a fortune to end up with something playable and a bit unique. .. which is what this forum's all about.

Also, it's been a long time since we've seen aged hardware around here - are you going to throw a method out, or at least some tips when you're done?
^ Absolutely.

All the projects I'm currently working on are being documented with photos, and I will talk about how I did things.

I'll leave the guitar in my buddies hotbox so it gets really yellow and and dirty looking.

As for the hardware, I plan on pretty much just dropping it in a bucket of saltwater and letting things work their course.

I'll use spent bags of tea to directly stain the wood on the neck, then tung oil it.

The frets are still pretty dirty, so I'll keep them that way. I'll make most areas of the guitar matte rather than glossy, and I'll attach denim to my power sander for the worn areas, and I've taken care of most of the belt buckle scratches by playing shirtless, cause I'm a sexy ****er.

To me, it makes sense to simulate clothing wear with clothing, right?

So, I think I know everything I need to do. Any other ideas UG?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
pick guard- get some turtle wax, the brown one. take a little bit, rub it on the pickguard, sand off with high grit sandpaper, repeat until you get what you want. works great.

did it to one of my old guitars by accident, lucky me
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
^ Awesome man, can I do that to all the plastic parts?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Your relicing job is a bit rusty (no pun intended) and it doesn't look a hella lot different but it's still a mod, a good mod, and more importantly, a hella cheap mod!
$21 canadian? Thats pretty insane for saying you've made it a lot different, I'm awaiting more pics of this!
^The relic is terrible as it stands.

I need to redo all the wear on the finish, and make it actually good.

All that dirt and discolouration is real though, this guitar about 20 years old.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Check out my post in the 100GBP thread, I had a great idea.

I think it is really cool that someone had the idea of this. What a great thing to bring everyone in the GB&C together. Way to go man!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
^ Awesome man, can I do that to all the plastic parts?

indeed. Dont put tooo much of that stuff on, it can leave it brown (unless you sand it a good bit)

but yeah., anything plastice just use the same procedure.

i found the turtle wax...
turtle wax
rubbing compound
heavy duty cleaner
its a red label on a white container.

Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
yea no problem.

god all these builds for the contest has got me itching to make mine.
but i have to wait
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Just as an addition, a coffee/water solution (works with tea too) can "brown" your hardware too, but it's a slower process.

If you want to wear the maple parts a bit too (an extremely careful procedure I'll add) use a dremel and one of those polishing pads you can get for them, but be careful, it can burn through the finish if you hold it around for too long. Though this method's best for aging maple ffretboard, it'll work for the back of the neck and the headstock too
nice
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Ok guys, I'm currently trying to make the hardware rust.

Everything metal (minus the tuner bushings that are really stuck and the trem claw) is sitting in an ice cream bucket of about 1 quart of water with 1 cup of salt and 1 cup of vinegar.

It is seeming to work, I have noticed a little oxidization on some screws.

I'll post a picture tutorial of the process if it works well.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Hah nice at the Megadave idea

And with the rusting, I'd be careful about the amount of rust on the saddles, don't want to have any sharp rusty bits ruining your hand (unless you don't palm mute at all/don't rest your hand on the bridge).
^ I'll clean any vital parts up with steel wool and WD40.

I don't feel like getting tetanus for the holidays.

So, the vinegar + water + salt smells like ass. And there are little bubbles forming all over everything now too.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Heh good to hear

And yeah it will do, the rusting process isn't the nicest part of relicing, in fact, it's the part I've left out of my two on going relic projects
It really seems to be taking forever!

Are there any tutorials on... well... making things rusty?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Yeah, you should. I know you would do it anyway.

I just hope I don't promote a bunch of nubslices completely destroying perfectly fine guitars.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
I tried to figure out Ormsby's WMD rusting, but he wouldn't roll over for me...

Look up some oxidation techniques on google or something, you might have some luck with that...
------

Shwiggity.
SALSA!

i just remembered on mythbusters they used salsa, and some electronic signal, to rust out jail bars so they could escape!
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Google tells me to use an acid/water solution. Water and vinegar will be OK for me, I think.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
if you're feeling scientific, try concentrating your vinegar slightly, it should make it faster.

Just be careful, we don't need a brain-damaged Ottar!
------

Shwiggity.
hey Otter, know what would speed up that rusting? 5 cups of baking soda. it works, i swear.

<.<

>.>

Note: Any explosions caused in Otters kitchen are not the fault of Ribcage, and he can not be held responsible for death and/or dismemberment of pets, or anyone/thing crawling around Otter's house.
Вяєҭҭ
ZeGuitarist's sister is hawt.
?)
Quote by Øttər
Yeah, you should. I know you would do it anyway.

I just hope I don't promote a bunch of nubslices completely destroying perfectly fine guitars.

dude maybe you should get some new saddles... it looks like you're missing a couple pieces.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by metalwarrior40
SALSA!

i just remembered on mythbusters they used salsa, and some electronic signal, to rust out jail bars so they could escape!

I remember that one! i wonder if that would work? if anything you'd have one tasty guitar (bad pun i know)
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
Concentrating vinegar is something I don't want to experiment with.

I am missing pieces of the saddles, but I have them lying around.

The salsa worked because of its acidity, any acid should work. Although, applying electricity is something I may try.

The rusting isn't doing much so far, and I have a feeling it will sort of just rub off. We'll see though.

The otterdrive pedal was just a painting project. I am repainting my MXR pedal, and failing miserably. I'll try when the weather warms up.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Ok, so the parts are rusting nicely.

But the rust just rubs off.

If I sand it, will the rust stay because it has a rough surface to adhere to?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
yes. get as much chrome as you can off, then do the rust process.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
I have sanded quite randomly with 180 grit, to produce a natural, non patterned look. Beneath the chrome, though, is what looks like copper. Or at least a copper coloured metal. Now the rust should have something to adhere to. I'll post pictures of the process if it works.

If it doesn't work, I'll get some ammonium persulfate from my electronics teacher. It is an industrial grade acid used to etch copper off of PCBs. The other year, someone left stainless steel vice grips beside the bucket of acid. Not in, beside. Over the summer, they corroded to the point of falling apart in your hands. I'll just dip the parts in it for a moment, any longer and they'll be destroyed.

EDIT: this is the look I'm going for, eventually.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p312/JERMDADDY/strats/StratNoiselessPUrelic006.jpg

EDIT 2: more like this.

http://www.ormsbyguitars.com/galleries/gallerypics/IMG_3332.jpg

What did you do Ormsby??
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Last edited by Øttər at Nov 30, 2008,
Don't even bother, buddy, I've tried too hard to figure that WMD out.

I'mma figger that mofo out if its the last thing I ever do!
------

Shwiggity.
Yeah... the WOMD is pretty much a sexy beast of war.

I've seen very similar things done with that acid I mentioned earlier, I think that will work if my current method doesn't.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Page 1 of 2