okay, so i need a new acoustic. i use my acoustic to write songs for my band, as well as acoustic songs for myself, and learning classical songs for school, and guitar peices for myself so genres being played mainly will be;

rock/punk/hardcore,
generic acoustic originals.
classical music (mainly baroque)
guitar peices for hsc. (drifting, ocean, rylynn, etc)

I WANT IT TO HAVE A PICKUP AND A CUTAWAY. =]

all the models i mentioned can have both of them anyway tho (y)

i have almost a 1.5 grand in my bank, and my parents are offering me $700 bucks to help.

so i have 2.2, but obviously, i dont wish to spend ALL of my money on this guitar, only as much as it takes.

iv played the maton 225, and i really like it, and the 325 has a better pickup, and i like how the wood looks on the back and neck. (queensland wallnut i think, or something)

i already play a cole clark stealth misteress electric, so gaining another cole clark for my collection would be awesome.

i like both the fat lady 1, and the fat lady 2. love the fat lady three, but it is well out of my price range.

is there that much difference between the fl1 and fl2? if not i'll just get the 1 to save some $$$

ill be getting the guitar ordered in by my dads mates at the local guitar shop, meaning ill get alot cheaper than retail prices. but still, how much do each of theese guitars generally go for?

plus, what are the best cases?

thanks a tonne to anyone who can answer all my questions.
Give it about a day or so. A lot of people can't even buy a Maton or Cole Clark. Me for example. I'd love to get my hands on a nice guitar from either brand, but alas, they are hard to find in Toronto(well... Canada in general).
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
iv played the maton 225, and i really like it, and the 325 has a better pickup, and i like how the wood looks on the back and neck. (queensland wallnut i think, or something)

Correct. The 325 has a far superior pickup to the 225.

ill be getting the guitar ordered in by my dads mates at the local guitar shop, meaning ill get alot cheaper than retail prices. but still, how much do each of theese guitars generally go for?

Im sure you can find this information on the net. From the top of my head though:

Cole Clark FL1AC: $1300
Cole Clark FL2AC: $1600
Maton EM225C: $1150
Maton EM325C: $1500

is there that much difference between the fl1 and fl2? if not i'll just get the 1 to save some $$$

From my experience the FL2 isnt tonally superior to the FL1 by all that much. Just a few cosmetic upgrades: AA grade timber, the addition of binding, gold machine heads and more decorative fret markers.

My vote definitely goes for either of the Cole Clarks over the Matons. Its just up to you whether or not you think the flashier looks of the FL2 are enough to make it worth the extra couple of hundred over the FL1.
The 325 is a better choice than the 225 regarding the Matons but neither of them have solid back and sides and just aren't in the same league as the Cole Clarks in my opinion.
If you want a Maton that is competitive have a look at the CW80. You probably will have to spend your whole budget to get one with a pick up and a cutaway though.
Im with Tom 183 here go for the CW80 or the EBG808 or similar I have a 225 maton & an EBG808 & the 225 hardly leaves its rack anymore.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by captivate
Give it about a day or so. A lot of people can't even buy a Maton or Cole Clark. Me for example. I'd love to get my hands on a nice guitar from either brand, but alas, they are hard to find in Toronto(well... Canada in general).

i forgot that these guitars are harder to find in other contries. thanks for the help tho.

Quote by tom183
Im sure you can find this information on the net. From the top of my head though:

Cole Clark FL1AC: $1300
Cole Clark FL2AC: $1600
Maton EM225C: $1150
Maton EM325C: $1500

how much do you think i could lower these prices if i tired (ie, paying cash, getting other stuff in a deal, knowing people)

Quote by tom183
From my experience the FL2 isnt tonally superior to the FL1 by all that much. Just a few cosmetic upgrades: AA grade timber, the addition of binding, gold machine heads and more decorative fret markers.
thanks heaps for that information. i think i'll go with the fat lady 1, seeing as its cheaper, and doesnt lack much from the fat lady 2.

is there much difference in tone/look depending on the kind of wood you get? or is it all generally the same?
I paid $600 AUD for my 225 2nd hand in great condition + hardcase & $1600 AUD for my EBG808 in good condition with hardcase.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
I know this is kind of off topic, but...

I really wish I could get my hand on a fat lady 3. It's one of the best looking production guitars I've ever seen, if I'm completely honest. And this is being said by someone who hates abalone inlays most of the time. The FL3's inlays are just done RIGHT.

Just thought I'd add that in.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
I know this is kind of off topic, but...

I really wish I could get my hand on a fat lady 3. It's one of the best looking production guitars I've ever seen, if I'm completely honest. And this is being said by someone who hates abalone inlays most of the time. The FL3's inlays are just done RIGHT.

Just thought I'd add that in.

im in love with the look of the headstock on them, with the different chade wood coming out between the other type of wood.

i'd love to get one. but fcuk, three grand is way to steep.
how much do you think i could lower these prices if i tired (ie, paying cash, getting other stuff in a deal, knowing people)

Not all that much. The prices I listed are quite a bit below RRP, I doubt many stores would go much lower. You might get lucky though.

thanks heaps for that information. i think i'll go with the fat lady 1, seeing as its cheaper, and doesnt lack much from the fat lady 2.

Good choice, I have an FL1.

is there much difference in tone/look depending on the kind of wood you get? or is it all generally the same?

I couldnt notice much difference between the spruce top and bunya pine top. I dont really have much experience with the different woods used for the back and sides. Sorry.
Quote by tom183
Not all that much. The prices I listed are quite a bit below RRP, I doubt many stores would go much lower. You might get lucky though.

Good choice, I have an FL1.

I couldnt notice much difference between the spruce top and bunya pine top. I dont really have much experience with the different woods used for the back and sides. Sorry.

from looking around, iv seen some on the net for $1100-$1300 so im fully stoked at how much cash ill be saving.

anyone know about the different types of wood?

i saw one with "tasmanian blackwood" back and sides and it looked amazing. is there much difference between the two fronts? and which one looks better? im having trouble finding pics.

AND HERE IS THE BIG QUESTION!!!
i
m ordering it in from my local guitar shop, meaning i wont be able to play it untill it gets there. i can send it back if its horrible, but what are the chances of me getting a dud?

iv heard alot about people saying to try them all, everysingle one cause they vary heaps from one to the next.

is ordering a cole clark fl2ac to much of a risk?

thanks.
Well if your paying $1600 for a guitar, I certainly wouldnt part with the money unless I had 30day to return it, Just in case.
But personally for me I buy off eBay generally. So you never get to try them. So what, thats what your local store is for. Also if you buy it (eBay) & hate it well the person you sell it back to on eBay doesnt know you hate it!!

My225 $600AUD

My EBG808 $1600AUD
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
wow spending that much money? That's a lot...I'm sure it's not necessary. Have you tried anything at your local music places yet?

yeah, they mainly have takimines, and honestly, i find even their most expencive ones ****. i like the fat lady1 tho. played it at a different shop
i saw one with "tasmanian blackwood" back and sides and it looked amazing. is there much difference between the two fronts? and which one looks better? im having trouble finding pics.

My FL1A has a spruce top. Pic in profile.
I have an FL2AC. It is awesome.

I played the other ones you mentioned and they are both nice. I'm sure you won't be disappointed either way... I went with the FL2AC in the end though. It just felt right

www.purevolume.com/peterdavison , check out my covers and stuff to get an idea of tone.
Quote by sashki
A lot of pros do that: if they play a wrong note, they'll hit it again to make it look as if it's intentional. It's called "jazz", aparently.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
CC Fat Lady's all the way!

I have a FL2AC.

The ones i played always sounded like it should have been in the next price up.
I have a FL2 custom and ive gotta say that it is the most vibrant , bright sounding guitar ive ever heard both unplugged and plugged in. i would honestly suggest steering away from the maton's, not that they are bad guitars, but more the fact that they are now "mass produced" and just seem to have lost that real spark they used to have.

I payed $1800 for my cole clark and i honestly think it was worth every cent.
2 year old thread.
Equipment: