Does anyone have a Mexican strat?
I found one for 400$ but some people say it's not that great.
Any problems with it?
Quote by Kensai
Happy birthday

Quote by TSmitty6
is it me or does the black kids head look like a bong, and the girl behind him just took a hit and is zonked out?
I have one and I absolutely love it. Its a guitar that I will keep as long as I can. Your going to want to try them out though. Some of them are great and some are not so great.
H e l l o .
Try them out, I absolutely love my strat except for the humbucker

But that's just preference, Imma make it a sss soon
Theres nothing wrong with a MIM, some people find one they like better than MIAs they've tryed. Just because its made in the states doesnt guarentee quality. I just bought a fender aerodyne strat (made in japan) that I like better than any MIA or MIM ive played, its a personal preference thing.

ps. Jimmie Vaughn swears by em.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Many people have said it, I'm just going to call on my favourite form of it being said.

"The tele is Mexican-made, and before you go soothe your xenophobic wounds with salve, or, something, realize that the made in Japan and made in Mexico Fender's area actually really good guitars, especially for the money, and I really don't get what a guitars country of origin has to do with it's quality."

But like all guitars, they have their gems and their lemons. Play it, and if you like it, buy it. I love mine, I even like it's stock pickups better than a bunch of modern higher-end Fender's, albeit it's from before Fender revamped everything in 2005, so they're hotter, but still, I figure it's worth noting.

My only problems with it are it's tuners aren't locking(though I intend to slap on some locking Schaller's soon) and it doesn't have a Brian may Red Special-style switching system, but that switching is expensive to install, annoying to figure out, and really if you put a killswitch onto it I'd not only love you, I'd be completely happy with it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Nov 29, 2008,
Quote by stratoclap
Try them out, I absolutely love my strat except for the humbucker

But that's just preference, Imma make it a sss soon

same here...i dunno if im gonna change the hum or make it sss though.
yo.

I BELIEVE
the people who hate strats just dont like them because there not there type of guitars.
Some mim strats are better than others, so try a ton out.
theres a big difference, some are worth $600, others are worth more there actually price.
Honestly i have never played a mim strat that i thought sucked.
But i have played much better ones than others.
im not just a fanboy, im being honest.
Quality's great btw, havnt had any problems with mine, dont know anyone who's had any problem with theres.
Yes, get the MIM Strat, they are great, I've played them plenty of times and absolutely love them. I plan on getting one using money/gift cards from Xmas
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by Autumnfallsbest
Does anyone have a Mexican strat?
I found one for 400$ but some people say it's not that great.
Any problems with it?

How bout the fact that the tremolos don't stay in tune? How bout the fact that they are terrible for metal? How about the fact that the pickups squeal like a bitch? And this is just about Strats in general...
Seriously, get a different guitar. Strats are the absolute worst guitars on the planet.
I have a 60's reissue MIM strat that is my baby. I agree with the previous posters when they say that you need to try one but I think that holds true for most guitars. There is such an intimate relationship between the guitar and the player that I feel you need to sit with her a while before you will know if she is right for you of not. As for the poster above who says that strats are the worst guitars on the planet tell that to Jimi, Stevie, Eric, Beck Rory, and all the other gods who somehow made it work for them.
Quote by cohen5250
How bout the fact that the tremolos don't stay in tune? How bout the fact that they are terrible for metal? How about the fact that the pickups squeal like a bitch? And this is just about Strats in general...
Seriously, get a different guitar. Strats are the absolute worst guitars on the planet.

How bout if you don't rape the tremolo? How bout if you don't play metal? How bout you shield the pickups properly and don't use high gain?
Seriously, people have different criteria for choosing guitars. Strats are good for what they're good for and bad for what they're bad for, just like any other guitar.
Quote by cohen5250

I have several guitars, one being a Strat style one... I play my metal on my Explorer or my LP, if I want to play Red Hot Chili Peppers or something I'll play my Strat. Different guitars have different uses, and Strats have theirs, that doesn't make them bad guitars. Try and play funk or blues on an ESP with EMGs or something, then you might see what I'm getting at.

Nothing wrong with Strats, and the MIM ones are pretty good, but as said, try them out first... some are great, some are lemons.
Quote by cohen5250

Yup, that's a well-balanced and fair opinion if I ever saw one. Because all the legends who play them are idiots, and all three guitarists from Iron Maiden, Malmsteen(albeit he's more shred) and Ritchie Blackmore definitely never play or played metal. Nope. Never. [/sarcasm]

Seriously, I play metal on my strat's bridge pickup, sounds fine. No it's not an EMG, but it works and sounds good enough. On the squealing; apparently you've never heard of the combination positions, or noiseless pickups, or for that matter, using the "unwanted" sounds a la Jeff Beck, Van Halen or Hendrix. As for the tremolo, I don't know what your talking about. I divebomb mine like EVH whenever playing with my Big Muff, when I come back up she's still in tune just fine.

Maybe the manager of a genuine Mexican Taco Bell came along to it in the Fender Mexican factory and blessed and oiled the trem block with hot sauce to keep it in tuner, but the point is mine doesn't detune, and you need to learn your facts.

I'm not about to say the strat is the world's greatest guitar. Some people like Steve Vai can play Wizard necks. I fail on them. Some people like humbucker growl. I like single-coil bite. Everyone has different taste, which is why there are all these different types around. But how about you try an actual quality strat before you run around dissing a good guitar? If it was really crap, would it really have survived 55 years as a player favourite? Yes there are better guitars for metal, but judging by the TS' avvie, he's not buying for metal. And frankly, I'd love to hear what you think is a "good" guitar.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Nov 30, 2008,
MIM strats have a fairly good balance of bad guitars and good ones. I would rather save 300 more bucks and pick up a highway one, but that's just my opinion.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
I absolutely love my Mexican, for what it's worth. Mine's a newer one, and while I wouldn't really have bought the Americans no matter how much better they were ($$$. ) I did take a look at them before getting mine. They're obviously better guitars, but are they $600 better? In my opinion, if you're at the guitar playing stage where you are wondering if a Mexican is good enough for you (Not an insult, just saying) then no, you don't need to go to the higher end of guitars to be very happy. I love mine, and think it was absolutely worth the price.

One other thing that could help clarify the thread: Are you wondering if a Mexican is worth the $400 compared to a Squire's $100, or whether the Americans are worth $1000 compared to the $400 of the Mexican?
IMO, absolutely get a Mexican over a squire, and get a Mexican over an American if money is tight or you are newer, etc.