Hey,
I'm looking for a new acoustic for Christmas. Got a learner one a couple years back, time to trade it in for something a little more serious. I've seen some 12 string guitars at stores, they look pretty cool, but when I see videos of people with 12 strings it's hard to tell how they are strumming.

Do people play it by plucking each individual string, or are the smaller strings there for like harmonics or something?

Also, what are some of the better guitars?
they are played like a normal guitar, just with hitting two strings placed closer together and they are the same note. it feels like playing a six string, just a tad different. are you thinking of getting a 12 sting for your main instrument? i wouldn't. i would get another six sting, then a 12, so i have both
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
the second string for each normal string is an octave higher, which gives it a much bigger and richer sound. with the exception of the high e which just has another e the same note.
i agree with the other guy though, id get another good 6 string and maybe try some 12 strings to see if you would even like it. you would end up doing the exact same things as you do on the 6 on the 12 except you wouldn't be able to solo / :
[quote="'[DookieShoes"]']the second string for each normal string is an octave higher, which gives it a much bigger and richer sound. with the exception of the high e which just has another e the same note.
i agree with the other guy though, id get another good 6 string and maybe try some 12 strings to see if you would even like it. you would end up doing the exact same things as you do on the 6 on the 12 except you wouldn't be able to solo / :

The two highest strings(the B and E) are doubled. But yeah, 12 strings aren't for everyone so make sure you try both. They're quite a bit harder to play as well since you have the added tension of 6 additional strings.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
The two highest strings(the B and E) are doubled. But yeah, 12 strings aren't for everyone so make sure you try both. They're quite a bit harder to play as well since you have the added tension of 6 additional strings.

Plus a thicker neck to compensate for that tension, which leads to an even more awkward feel and in fact, MORE tension XD
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
^ ohh yes. I forgot to mention the wider necks. The necks are wider to compensate for the doubling of the strings. They can be uncomfortable for some people. Although... Even with my sausage-like fingers, I prefer wider necks in order to play cleaner with more ease.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I have the Epiphone DR series 12 string and love it its the greatest bargian only like $170 and it has an amazing tone...I would rather have a 12 string acoustic rathar that a 6 string acoustic any day. If you are into fingerpicking, its a little harder, but if you just strum chords ar individuasl notes, they are the greatest...
Funny

(\__/)
(='o'=)
(")_(")
Quote by captivate

oh my bad d: