Page 1 of 5
Before I got into metal, I thought it was just a bunch of unskilled retards making a bunch of noise and screaming. Of course, now I know it is actually a very diverse and expressive genre, and is not just about noise and lack of talent. But what I want to know is, where did this stereotype come from? Why do people think that metal is crappy noise when they've never even heard a metal band? WHY?
cause some people think slash is an amazing guitarist.
Quote by thestonedone
You see this is why it's wrong to rape your guitar... in public.

Quote by mroctoberfest
I want to name an invention the Insta-gasm 3000. I feel very strongly about this.

Gear Setup:
Jackson Rhoads
Digitech Grunge
Fender FM 212R
Quote by Myung-trucci
Before I got into metal, I thought it was just a bunch of unskilled retards making a bunch of noise and screaming. Of course, now I know it is actually a very diverse and expressive genre, and is not just about noise and lack of talent. But what I want to know is, where did this stereotype come from? Why do people think that metal is crappy noise when they've never even heard a metal band? WHY?

Because most of it is noise.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
That's just how people are... A lot of people have an opinion on something they know nothing about. Makes them feel good about themselves and the things they do, maybe. Who knows.
Well, probably because when they think "Metal", they think what they hear on the radio, IE Slipknot, Korn, etc. To be fair, they are in fact metal, just not exactly...Good. Also, to Steven, even though I don't listen to GnR or Slash, you have to give him credit man. He is good, just not something I'd listen to extensively. Guthrie Govan or Allan Holdsworth, on the other hand...mmm

EDIT: Also, there is the sad fact that a good bit of it is just noise. They hear one bad one, and generalize that ALL of it is bad. Very poor reasoning.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Quote by Alopikal
That's just how people are... A lot of people have an opinion on something they know nothing about. Makes them feel good about themselves and the things they do, maybe. Who knows.

I don't care if a person hates metal after hearing many different bands, and trying to appreciate it but insulting a creative form of expression without even trying it is stupid.

Quote by That guy who posted this about three posts down but I can't remember the name of

How?
The PMRC made it look perverted, satanic, evil, violent, sexist, and it made the stereotype thanks to Tipper (****ing) Gore.
Quote by Myung-trucci
I don't care if a person hates metal after hearing many different bands, and trying to appreciate it but insulting a creative form of expression without even trying it is stupid.

How?

It seems to work that way with metalheads and pretty much any other genre.

Also, when I say most of it is noise, alot of it has no melody to it(necrophagist, etc) or is literally noise(grindcore etc). Before you people flame about "grindcore isnt metal noob", I dont care and I doubt most people who dislike metal would care either.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Quote by Ktool The Girth

So. Much. Fail

.... Dammit. Now he's gonna fap to my profile picture .

NECROBLASPHEMOEDIT: Don't worry Diminished, I'm here for you, we'll get through this together.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
*raises rusty wooden spoon* I've been saving this one for a special occasion *castrates Ktool the Girth*.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by Ktool The Girth
It seems to work that way with metalheads and pretty much any other genre.

Also, when I say most of it is noise, alot of it has no melody to it(necrophagist, etc) or is literally noise(grindcore etc). Before you people flame about "grindcore isnt metal noob", I dont care and I doubt most people who dislike metal would care either.

....Necrophagist has no melody? Really?
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man
....Necrophagist has no melody? Really?

Really. Sorry to say it you guys, but they dont. Every metalhead Ive talked to in person cant stand them because of this.
Quote by Yakult

Quote by DubStar92
Quote by Myung-trucci
Grindcore is pretty much noise

That doesn't mean it's not good music.

NECROBLASPHEMOEDIT: Serious, Ktool? Just leave while you still have some dignity (too late for your balls though), it's a fact Necrophagist have melody and it's not like their melody is hard to hear or buried anywhere, it's very clear.

YETANOTHEREDIT: Goddamit! Since posting in this thread 5 people have fapped to my profile picture!
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Last edited by MetalMessiah665 at Nov 29, 2008,
Quote by Ktool The Girth
Really. Sorry to say it you guys, but they dont. Every metalhead Ive talked to in person cant stand them because of this.

Since when is whether or not a band has melodies an objective statement?

Whatever, he's just angry at the fact that he'll sound like Nattram for the rest of his life...
Quote by dminishedthingy
Since when is whether or not a band has melodies an objective statement?

Whatever, he's just angry at the fact that he'll sound like Nattram for the rest of his life...

Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Sorry for answering the original question. You guys are awfully defensive.
Quote by Yakult

Quote by DubStar92
We're not being defensive, 90% of what you said was just completely wrong. As I and Diminished said earlier, it's a fact Necrophagist are very melodic.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
We only get defensive when people make ignorant statements like all of your posts in this thread. If you had brought up a legitamate point about not liking metal, we wouldn't have cared.

for example: "The vocals are too extreme for my tastes, and the aggression and speed of many metal bands puts me off" comes across much better than "its all noise"
Quote by MetalMessiah665
We're not being defensive, 90% of what you said was just completely wrong. As I and Diminished said earlier, it's a fact Necrophagist are very melodic.

90% of what I said is what people have told me. You guys asked why people dont like, I gave you answer and you flame me.
Quote by Yakult

Quote by DubStar92
Quote by Ktool The Girth
90% of what I said is what people have told me. You guys asked why people dont like, I gave you answer and you flame me.

We didn't flame you, I just castrated you with a rusty wooden spoon - Have fun living the rest of your life as half a man!

Just so this post has some point:
Quote by Ktool The Girth

I rest my case.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by Ktool The Girth

Metal is not noise, and all of it has melody. We flame you for being ignorant to it.
The same reason the people who hate rap are the one's who've heard guys like 50 Cent and lil Wayne, think that their local smooth jazz station is a good representation of jazz, and differentiate Hot Topic with metal.

Fuck the corporate world.
I spent a few weeks listening to rap recently and whilst I still don't like it, I have a new appreciation of it.
Quote by Ktool The Girth

Not being able to stand a band is objective. Melody isn't. Melody by its definition is just a succession of notes identified as one entity, like a repeated group of tones.

Examples:

Sweet Child of Mine intro riff
Necrophagist- Seven intro riff
Necrophagist- The Stillborn One intro riff

so obviously, Necrophagist has melodies. They may not be "melodic" in the melo death sense, but they definentely have melody thats easily distinguishable...
Dear lord, no reason I like this place

People like Ktool are so fun to flame out. Seriously, how is Necrophagist not melodic? They are the most melodic technical death metal band I know of in the formal sense of the word "melodic".
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Exactly, like I said earlier, I don't understand how you could not hear it, their Melody is very obvious most of the time, and they have perfectly clear production, so save deafness, I really don't see what problems you would have hearing their melody.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
The stereotype exists for the same reason that I think all indie bands sit around wearing 2nd-hand cardigans to try and look like they are from the 70s, and make crap music.

I know nothing about indie, they know nothing about metal.....so retarded sweeping assumptions are made!
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Stranglehold
The stereotype exists for the same reason that I think all indie bands sit around wearing 2nd-hand cardigans to try and look like they are from the 70s, and make crap music.

I know nothing about indie, they know nothing about metal.....so retarded sweeping assumptions are made!

But, then you both are stupid

*Looks at avatar again and walks away dissapointed*

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
No no, you are quite astute, I dont know anything about other genres except metal. Dont really want to either.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Stranglehold
No no, you are quite astute, I dont know anything about other genres except metal. Dont really want to either.

Ooo, come now, young one. Do you really want to pigeon-hole yourself like that? Listen to some jazz Fusion, or Russian Circles. Or Classical music like Bartok, he uses diminished things.
My gear:
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man
Ooo, come now, young one. Do you really want to pigeon-hole yourself like that? Listen to some jazz Fusion, or Russian Circles. Or Classical music like Bartok, he uses diminished things.

you rang?

and I'm thinking you're not going to change his mind haha he knows what he likes
For some reason that post really annoyed me. Let him listen to what he wants to listen to, god, it really doesn't matter.

EDIT: lulz
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man

Jazz Fusion is for Howard Moon. I shall listen to whatever appeals to me, it doesnt mean I have to immerse myself in the entire genre.

And diminished things? Im sick of preachy theory wankers like this, who constantly spout this bull about metal having to conform to certain scales to sound 'evil'.

EDIT:

Quote by dminishedthingy
you rang?

and I'm thinking you're not going to change his mind haha he knows what he likes

Damn straight.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by MetalMessiah665
For some reason that post really annoyed me. Let him listen to what he wants to listen to, god, it really doesn't matter.

Agreed.

Quote by eggsandham2
I didn't mean I was trying to convert you, I'm just saying, you know, a little change in scenery is refreshing every once in a while. But whatever, not trying to sway you from or to something or another.

And hey whoa, when the **** was I being preachy? For your information, I don't know a hell of a lot of music theory, good sir

Heh, whatever. Hooray for Opeth, Cynic, and Psycroptic

EDIT: alright, I was being a tad preachy. I apologize, I normally don't do that. You shall listen to whatever you like, sorry for coming off as a douche.
My gear:
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Posting in this thread for all the profile picture fapping I heard about.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Page 1 of 5