K so a few months ago I got a new guitar, the Ibanez RGR320EX (Huge upgrade from my crappy $100 epiphone Les paul from a starter kit)

So I had these locking nuts stuck there for a while, and I could never find a tool that could get them out. Recently, I got that tool and took em out. I was excited for some lower tunings, but I am running into problems. I de-tune the lower strings. OK. I de-tune the higher strings. OK. Then I go back to the lower strings and they have reverted back to regular tuning. I took it to the store and one guy said they could set it up, but he didn't work in the repair section of the store. I took it to the repair guy, and he said floating trems can only be set up for one tuning, and after that it must stay like that unless you bring it back for another set up.

Now was he just stupid? Or is there no hope? I have read about people using the Edge 3 (and other floating trems) and played them in drop tuning. So what do I do? Ask a different guy at the store? ahh

Also, I am hearing bad things about the Edge 3. Other than the fact that it breaks easily, what do you think about it? How much would a better replacement cost?(No IT SUCKS LULZ, please give me reasons)

Finally, what gauge strings would you reccomend for me? I am planning on playing a lot of metal with deep sounds like Bring Me The Horizon.

Thanks for all your time!

(Also, I am a noob when it comes to guitar set up. If you are going to give me info, don't tell me to take the guitar apart, because I won't know how. Just tell me what the guys at the store can do heheh. ty)
When you detune a string it will change the tension on the strings. Keep doing it until you dial it in. It could take 10 times until you get your strings to stick in place. Also, try stretching them by tightening them first, then detuning them. After that make sure to lock the nut back up.
go to the stickied floyd rose set up guide at the top of the page. your trem is a floyd rose style ( knife edge) trem, so the same things that apply to floyd roses apply to your trem. the sticky should be a big help, and will give you detailed instructions on how to set up, and balance your trem.
Depending on the tuning, you may have to add/remove springs to match the tension of the strings. I would have thought that dropping tuning you shouldnt have to remove any springs though.

Just much around with it for a few weeks and you will figure it out

Also if you go bigger than standard 9-42, i think you will have to add another spring if you are in normal tuning. I went up to 11-49's, and had to get another spring
RG's & Mesa's
So it is possible then if I set it up properly that I will be able to change the tunings whenever I feel?
Quote by Romal
So it is possible then if I set it up properly that I will be able to change the tunings whenever I feel?

it will need set up each time for different tunings or string guages. did you read the stickied thread yet?
Quote by Romal

Nope. Even tuning to a dropped tuning will change the pitch of the other strings.

I suggest blocking the tremolo or buying a Tremol-no.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
i think he wants to use the tremelo though so a tremel no wouldnt be his best option.
Quote by jymellis
i think he wants to use the tremelo though so a tremel no wouldnt be his best option.

http://www.tremol-no.com/faq.asp
If he wanted to block the tremolo only he wouldn't really need a tremol-no.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I don't really mind not being able to use the trem, I just want to be able to play lower tunings

Oh and I looked at the Floyd Rose sticky, and I don't wanna have to take apart my guitar and screw it up

edit: Nvm, i looked it over again and found this

Loosen the locking nut.
Set your fine tuners to middle position.
Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" = Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it easier, tune the previous string generally a bit sharper or about half step
sharper so you don't have to repeat cross-tuning too much.
If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
Be patient.
If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered/parallel, lock the nuts.
Tune again using the fine tuners.

So pretty much I have to spend a majillion years everytime I wanna change tunings?
Last edited by Romal at Nov 30, 2008,
Quote by Romal
I don't really mind not being able to use the trem, I just want to be able to play lower tunings

Oh and I looked at the Floyd Rose sticky, and I don't wanna have to take apart my guitar and screw it up

edit: Nvm, i looked it over again and found this

So pretty much I have to spend a majillion years everytime I wanna change tunings?

You can use lower tunings, you just have to stick with one...

and those majillion years turn into minutes once you get used to Floyd Roses...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yeah but thats the thing I'm trying to get flexibility, being able to change tunings when I feel. Is there no way with this guitar?
Took me a good half hour this week changing my ESP from standard to whole step down, and thats with experience under my belt. The problem with trems is you have to alter the string tension, then usually you end up altering the spring tension in the back, all takes time. Unless you dont mind spending half hour retuning every time you want to change tuning.
it takes me about 10 minutes to change tunings on a floating trem. if you dont want to use it just place a block behind the trem in the back of the guitar and dont lock the nut at he headstock.
it takes me about 10 minutes to change tunings on a floating trem. if you dont want to use it just place a block behind the trem in the back of the guitar and dont lock the nut at he headstock.

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/images/tremoloblocked.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j284/JudokaUSA/Block_Bridge.jpg

personally i blobk the back like the pictures when i am tuning. after i get it tuned i lock the nut at the headstock and make the necessary adjustments to the claw and then remove the blocks (so i can use the whammy). if you dont want to use the whammy just put the blocks in there and dont remove them.
Quote by jymellis

Quote by aznrockerdude
http://www.tremol-no.com/faq.asp
If he wanted to block the tremolo only he wouldn't really need a tremol-no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZnipHc1ec
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Alright lemme get this straight. So by putting the block in, I will be able to tune my guitar however I like, but if I want to use the trem I must then lock it and remove the block ?

And the tremol-no is just a block that you don't need to remove?

Very confused here
Quote by Romal
Alright lemme get this straight. So by putting the block in, I will be able to tune my guitar however I like, but if I want to use the trem I must then lock it and remove the block ?

And the tremol-no is just a block that you don't need to remove?

Very confused here

You are right about the block.

The tremol-no is different though, you can use it to 'block' the trem, but you only need to adjust a few screws to change it back to 'full-floating' or 'dive-only' modes.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Wow, it's quite expensive (my parents bought me the guitar but I have to work for any new parts). I'm gonna have to pass on a tremol-no.

How would I go about blocking the tremolo myself, and is it a lot harder than doing the steps I mentioned from the sticky earlier?
Alright thanks a lot for all the help

edit: I don't trust me self with taking apart my guitar, do guitar stores normally do this?
They normally do. They may/may not charge you. Depends how related you are to the store(how frequent you go there/buy from there), if you take classes there(I do =D), store's policies, who does the job etc etc but leaving your guitar there everytime you want to change tunings is going to blow.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Ok I followed these steps

Loosen the locking nut.
Set your fine tuners to middle position.
Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" = Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it easier, tune the previous string generally a bit sharper or about half step
sharper so you don't have to repeat cross-tuning too much.
If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
Be patient.
If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered/parallel, lock the nuts.
Tune again using the fine tuners.

and tuned my guitar, but now I am getting bad fret buzz. I only get this with the locking nuts. Did I put them in wrong or is that just a whole new issue?

edit: It's only on the A and E string, the rest are fine