And my search continues...

I'm looking to buy an Epiphone G-400 for my brother this Christmas. Epi SG's are among his favorites (and the only in my price range).

Some searching online led me to the Epiphone G-400 model.

I plan on buying it used, probably from an individual seller. Regardless of where I buy it, I'd like to be able to identify a G-400 myself.

My question is this: how do I identify a G-400 model from others? (such as a G-310, for example)

Wikipedia gave me this:

The design of the G-400 follows that of the Gibson SG. Features include: pointed "devil's horns" cutaways, smaller pickguard (as opposed to the larger, later style), trapezoidal fingerboard inlays (late 80s and early 90s models had dot inlays), dual humbucker pickups, and bevelled body (mahogany). The biggest visual differences from the Gibson SG are the Epiphone headstock and wood-bound neck. The standard G-400 is available in two finishes: ebony and cherry. The Faded G-400 comes in worn brown and worn cherry. In addition, new models now have Grover-brand machine heads.

Wikipedia shows several different variations on the G-400 model, but most (aside from the G-310) seem to be mostly asthetic.

I'm not sure if my information is correct, or if I'm even headed in the right direction.
So if you have any info, please let me know.

Thanks!
Last edited by yellowsnow4free at Nov 30, 2008,
Well where are you planning on buying the guitar from? If it's from a guitar store, you could always ask and they'll hand you a G-400. But if I'm not mistaken, I think the model number is written in the lower part of the headstock, right above the nut.
2007 American Deluxe Strat
Crate Palomino V32 - 1x12
Boss DS-1
Crybaby Wah
Maxon OD-808
Easy

You: Where can i find an epiphone G-400
Shop Clerk: Right here(HANDS YOU GUITAR)

Anyway good call on getting him a g-400 i have one my self their pretty cheap yet you get a great sound off them. I recommed getting a worn-out cherry finish
G400 has the trapezoid inlays as opposed to dots on the G310 and it has a set neck, as opposed to bolt on on the G310. also the G310 has a larger pickguard than the G400 and and the G400 has chrome covered pickups as opposed to open coil on the G310.

G400 G310

As for real differences, the G400 has a set neck so better sustain, it has a better finish, better hardware, better sounding pickups etc etc, as well as all the aesthetic stuff.
i have the vintage 1966 edition g-400 and i can say it sustains FOREVER and thats with stock pups.
I know with the G310 the red is a bright red, compated to the 400. Also, trapazoid inlays, and it will say on a little sticker where the neck and body come together.
Quote by budget bassist
As for real differences, the G400 has a set neck so better sustain

Actually, I don't think set necks give better sustain. If I'm not mistaken, bolt-ons are the best for sustain. Something to do with the glue in a set neck inhibiting resonance.
Quote by Gummy Balls
Who the hell posts that they made up a chord on a guitar forum? He should of just called this thread " flame the shit out me".

~Founder of the Pokemon Appreciation Club~
Quote by Liberchaotica
Actually, I don't think set necks give better sustain. If I'm not mistaken, bolt-ons are the best for sustain. Something to do with the glue in a set neck inhibiting resonance.

yes, but with neck throughs, you get the best sustain of all.
...i think
best to worse sustain:

neck through
set neck
bolt on neck

you could tell because the g-400 has trapazoid inlays, set neck, covered humbuckers (unless it is customized), and most of them only have half of a pick guard (unless you get the 1966 reissue which is awesome!)
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by fifer
best to worse sustain:

neck through
set neck
bolt on neck

Don't you challenge me!

EDIT: Proof! Sorta...

http://liutaiomottola.com/myth/neckJointSustain.htm
Quote by Gummy Balls
Who the hell posts that they made up a chord on a guitar forum? He should of just called this thread " flame the shit out me".

~Founder of the Pokemon Appreciation Club~
Last edited by Liberchaotica at Nov 29, 2008,
Set Neck + Trapezoid Inlays

Also if he already has an SG, check out the Epiphone Wilshire. Same specs as an SG, but with a unique, kickass look. Dig that batwing headstock!

EDIT: Hmm, I see it's not set for release 'till the 30/12...

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Last edited by JMcG92 at Nov 29, 2008,
Quote by yanko693
i have the vintage 1966 edition g-400 and i can say it sustains FOREVER and thats with stock pups.

Beautiful guitar.
Pickups are a dead giveaway.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
Quote by stratdud39
that will unfortunately be out of his price range
unless you get him one of those faded SGs, which i heard arent to good.
GCs usually have a bunch of used ones for the price of a new G400 ... it's easy enough to find a gem through regular auditions.

As long as the neck feels great and the body isn't abused, it'll be cake to upgrade later. That's what Alyson did.