Page 1 of 2
Well, I posted the list from last year when it was released, so I thought I'd at least do it again this year.

From the old thead (slightly modified):

Quote by fallenangel20
Now, I know some of these bands aren't 100% metal, but Decibel isn't only metal, it covers some hardcore here and there, basically anything LOUD, but it's the best metal based magazine, IMO. And, remember,

It will not be perfect. Don't expect it to be.

Now, for the list:

40. "Buried Death"- Coffins
39. "Folie Circulaire"- Withered
38. "Graveyard"- Graveyard
37. "What You Were"- North
36. "Diminishing Between Worlds"- Decrepit Birth
35. "Paralyzed"- Witch
34. "Hades Rise"- Aura Noir
33. "Traced in Air"- Cynic
32. "obZen"- Meshuggah
31. "This Comp Kills Fascists Vol. 1"- Various Artists
30. "Life's Trade"- Samothrace
29. "Heavier than Heaven, Lonelier Than God"- Blacklisted
28. "The Fathomless Mastery"- Bloodbath
27. "The Formation of Damnation"- Testament
26. "Hesperus"- 5ive
25. "Host"- Hennes Siste Host
24. "Amber Gray"- Gridlink
23. "Seizures in Barren Praise"- Trap Them
22. "Hour of 13"- Hour of 13
21. "Of Frost and War"- Hail of Bullets
20. "Prehistoricisms"- Intronaut
19. "Gods and Queens"- Gods and Queens
18. "An Overdose of Death"- Toxic Holocaust
17. "The Maniacal Vale"- Esoteric
16."Vertebrae"- Enslaved
15. "The Way of All Flesh"- Gojira
14. "Pyramids"- Pyramids
13. "Twilight of the Thunder God"- Amon Amarth
12. "Krallice"- Krallice
11. "Life... The Best Game in Town"- Harvey Milk
10. "Live the Storm"- Disfear
9. "The Ruiner"- Made Out of Babies
8. "Invisible City"- Wetnurse
7. "Antithesis"- Origin
6. "Cycles"- Rotten Sound
5. "Conqueror"- The Gates of Slumber
4. "Watershed"- Opeth
3. "Board Up the House"- Genghis Tron
2. "Assassins: Black Meddle Part 1"- Nachtmystium
1. "Meanderthal"- Torche

I must say, I love this list. While I haven't heard a bunch of the albums on the list, the ones I do know are right where I want them to be.

I'm pretty much ecstatic "The Ruiner" got #9, "Board Up the House" got #3, and "Meanderthal" getting #1.

I didn't know what to expect from the #1 spot, but I love their decision.

I would have wanted "Board Up the House" to be #1, but I really can't complain.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Just recently got into Intronaut, and I gotta say I agree with a lot of the albums up here, though I'm sure there are people who would call me mad to say such things.

Is there an actual article to this list, with reasons for the album placements and all, or just the list?
Quote by TheMantipede
Just recently got into Intronaut, and I gotta say I agree with a lot of the albums up here, though I'm sure there are people who would call me mad to say such things.

Is there an actual article to this list, with reasons for the album placements and all, or just the list?

Yep, yep.

They have a good paragraph or so for each album.

I know you can order the issues online, and they sell them at Borders. You may be able to find them at news stands or something, but those are the two places you should be able to find them for sure.

Saxo-Walrus

No Procession, Dead Congregation, Necros Christos, Necrovation, Kill The Client, Lamp of Thoth........megafail.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Wasn't Necros Christos last year?
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
It was.......how time flies.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
They put Traced in Air at 33? They automatically lose all credibility.
90% of teens say they would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers about to fall off a skyscraper, if you're one of the 10% who would shout, "JUMP MUTHA*******", put this in your signature

My Last .fm page: http://www.last.fm/user/mcgelie
Gridlink, Hail of Bullets, and Esoteric are a few of my favorites in there.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
isn't it a bit early for this? there's still time for new albums.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by The Evil Hat
isn't it a bit early for this? there's still time for new albums.

Only like a month...
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by Dust_and_Guilt
#4 makes it fail.

I wouldn't consider Watershed top 20, much less top 5.

wait.....WHAT

i really liked watershed
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by McGelie
They put Traced in Air at 33? They automatically lose all credibility.

Because naming one album lower on the list makes the entire list dumb.

There's no such things as a list that will please everyone. DON'T EXPECT IT.

To think that ANY list will meet your every and exact specifications is both ignorant and daft.

Plus, even though I haven't heard Traced in Air, I can pretty much say I wouldn't enjoy it more than a lot of the higher listed albums. I love Focus, but I wouldn't call it one of my all time favorite albums. Great, for sure, but not something I could listen to endlessly.

I knew that album would do this, as well. It's not different than when "Colors" by BTBAM came in around the same position last year.
Quote by The Frayed Ends
Honestly, I haven't heard over half the albums on that list ad I don't particularly care to.

More music for me to broaden my horizons with, then.

Saxo-Walrus

Really nice to see Torche at #1, that really surpirised me. Also pretty cool to see Trap Them and Toxic Holocaust on there too. But I wouln't have put Amon Amarth or Origin so high at all, Amon Amarth seemed very mediocre at best and the Viking themes from a very non-viking metal band gets annoying after a while.
How are Amon Amarth not Viking metal? Viking Metal is entirely about lyrical themes, Pagan Metal, on the other hand, is about music, but Viking Metal isn't really.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by Tehzekester
Yay, more music to download!

My thoughts exactly.

This was actually a decent list, and it doesn't lose credibility because you don't like Cynic or Opeth. Plenty of people love them including myself, and I think they deserve a spot in the Top 40. So what if they're not higher/lower on the list? It's not your list, it's other people's opinions collectively put together to create the list.

From what I've heard on there, I think it deserves to be on there. I'm actually glad to see Krallice up there - that was quite an interesting release.
I've found Jesus
Quote by MetalMessiah665
How are Amon Amarth not Viking metal? Viking Metal is entirely about lyrical themes, Pagan Metal, on the other hand, is about music, but Viking Metal isn't really.

Viking Metal is definitely not just about lyrical themes. Sure, the lyrical themes play a part in it but it's definitely not just that. Viking metal uses keyboard melodies, mixture of clean/growled vocals and nordic folk instruments. Which unless i'm not looking close enough, Amon Amarth uses none of. They're just a melodic death metal band who like to sing about vikings.
Quote by Contraband
My thoughts exactly.

This was actually a decent list, and it doesn't lose credibility because you don't like Cynic or Opeth. Plenty of people love them including myself, and I think they deserve a spot in the Top 40. So what if they're not higher/lower on the list? It's not your list, it's other people's opinions collectively put together to create the list.

From what I've heard on there, I think it deserves to be on there. I'm actually glad to see Krallice up there - that was quite an interesting release.

I need to hear Krallice. After reading the article, they seem rather good.

Also, Decibel's 2007 list was my first issue of Decibel, and I discovered more music over the course of a week than I had in the previous month or so.

These lists are always a great breath of fresh air.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by fallenangel20

I need to hear Krallice. After reading the article, they seem rather good.

Also, Decibel's 2007 list was my first issue of Decibel, and I discovered more music over the course of a week than I had in the previous month or so.

These lists are always a great breath of fresh air.

krallice is incredible
Ibanez SZ720FM
Ibanez GSZ120
VOX AD50VT
BOSS DF-2 Super Distortion & Feedbacker
Eh, whatever, to most people Viking Metal and Pagan Metal (and even sometimes Folk Metal) are basically interchangeable. What you described is what I consider Pagan Metal or Folk Metal, so I generally just call bands that sing about Vikings Viking Metal (although I still consider them the genre they musically belong to, if that makes sense).
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by Boone666
Viking Metal is definitely not just about lyrical themes. Sure, the lyrical themes play a part in it but it's definitely not just that. Viking metal uses keyboard melodies, mixture of clean/growled vocals and nordic folk instruments. Which unless i'm not looking close enough, Amon Amarth uses none of. They're just a melodic death metal band who like to sing about vikings.

Hold on.....where the **** are you getting this information from?

As far as I know Bathory started up the viking themed metal, and it was never a "genre" per se. The term viking metal was made up by people to describe the lyrical themes, and that is it. I don't understand how you can pretend it's something else.

Wikipedia says that "viking metal" is:

"a subgenre of heavy metal music characterised by its galloping pace, keyboard-rich anthemic sound, bleakness and dramatic emphasis on Norse mythology, Norse paganism, and the Viking Age."

But then the list goes on to name 28 bands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Viking_metal_bands).

You are telling me that 28 bands make up an entire genre...?

Even those bands have descriptions beside them which label them as "progressive" or "black" or "melodic death" or whatever.
I've found Jesus
I didn't mean to get an arguement started aha! I was just saying that I find Amon Amarth to be very boring. I would call them a Melodic Death Metal band who has viking themes.
That's what I would call them too.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Back on topic, was anyone else surprised to see Cynic only at 33? I Thought they would have at least gotten top ten but maybe thats just me...
Quote by Boone666
I didn't mean to get an arguement started aha! I was just saying that I find Amon Amarth to be very boring. I would call them a Melodic Death Metal band who has viking themes.

Yea neither did I. I'm just in a pissy mood. In short, I just don't see a "viking metal scene" as much as I do see an affinity for creating viking-themed music. Obviously "viking metal" covers quite a bit of subgenres.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband
Yea neither did I. I'm just in a pissy mood. In short, I just don't see a "viking metal scene" as much as I do see an affinity for creating viking-themed music. Obviously "viking metal" covers quite a bit of subgenres.

Yeah, this is basically what I meant.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Not bad at all, I don't agree with all of it but I would probably find a problem to bitch about in a list that I made so I guess I cant really complain, plus a lot of the bands I would have liked to see up there are pretty obscures so whoever made the list can't really be blamed for missing them.

Nice to see Krallice up there, really didn't expect to ever see Aura Noir on any sort of list in my lifetime either so kudos to decibel.
By golly that list is actually pretty good.

Most of the bands are actually pretty good.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
The Gates Of Slumber at 5th place and they even know Hour Of 13, nice

Could've been much worse, but could've been much better of course
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by Tehzekester
Yay, more music to download!

Bingo.

Nice list.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
origin and cynic should have been higher. antithesis was my album of the year.
Quote by duncang
If Varg had any sense of humour, he'd open the album with a cover of Superstition.
Quote by Boone666

No, what you're talking about is simply folk Metal. Because by your criteria, early to mid Amorphis is Viking Metal, when indeed it isn't. And Quorthon never used mixtures of clean and growls, or any Nordic folk instruments, and he invented the genre. Sooo...

yeah.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Kepulix
The Gates Of Slumber at 5th place and they even know Hour Of 13, nice

Could've been much worse, but could've been much better of course

This.

And bonus points for listing the Gates of Slumber at #5. GODLY album imho.
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
Page 1 of 2