Is it odd for a band to play a wide range of music? Im a guitarist in a 5 piece band, and I love to play pretty much all types of music, but my band likes to focus mainly on rock.
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
well it depends what kind of show you are playing. If youre playing in a metal show it would be wierd to play an experimental jazz song. But its not realy wierd i gues, you can learn a whole bunch of different songs, just make the setlist apropriate for the show you are doing (jazz show -> jazz songs, metal show -> metal songs).
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
and in a show if you can make the setlist flow, you could span a bunch of genres. kinda depends on where you are playing.
I dunno, I think that it'd be cool to experiment with different genres but don't go from jazz to metal like gorky said.
Maybe even do some metal with jazz applied to it or something?
I dunno.
I guess it really does depend on where you play. Ive been fooling around with alot of blues and open tuning acoustic stuff. It might be a little easier to apply that to rock than it is to apply jazz to metal lol
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
learning lots of different styles of music helps you grow as musicians and gives you new ideas for your own copmposition. as for a live set, it should probably have one stylistic theme, although it can be pretty broad. For example, my band plays punk/ska , but we throw a reggae tune in there to mix it up. *shameless self-promotion please visit http://myspace.com/dirty30smusic * Unless you want to be stuck in cover band hell, i'm assuming you want to have a mostly original set, and a good way to write unique songs is to learn many different genres.