Page 1 of 2
God damnit UG. im fed up with my life. i feel like i have no real "talent". i play guitar, i skateboard, i take pictures from time to time, i make music in frootyloops, i took judo, i do alot of stuff. but im not good at ANY of them. i have no talent, its not that i want to be the best at any of these things, but i'd like to be good at something. im just average or novice at everything i do and it makes me feel worthless. i spend time doing these things and practicing sometimes, but it feels like im never getting anywhere. what do i do? how do i know what i have a natural talent for?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
lmao XxGloriousxX is a genius

Quote by Pinky19
You guys fail. Except for you Glorious. You win.

Once again.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I would shoot them to death yes, but trying to aim for non-leathal, hoping they live.

which one is it Guitarfreak777?
Your the least talented man in the world. Which is something other people can't say.
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
Maybe your natural talent is setting limits for yourself by thinking you don't have a talent?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
jack of all trades master of none?
if your looking to be naturally amazing at something, keep looking, that is pretty rare.
if you want to be good at something you have to keep doing it for a long time, and eventually you'll get better.
if it was easy everyone would be amazing at something in a week.
damn, so how come some people start things after me and do it better? i have a number of friends who picked up guitar years after i did and just burned the crap out of me. the only thing im ridiculously good at is smash brothers and a few other internet video games. but those are lame things to be good at. i guess i just need to ask people in the fields im interested in for tips and things of that sort? i mean you cant just work harder at becoming a better judo wrestler or something like that you need information.
Quote by yellowfrizbee

Quote by Pinky19

Once again.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I would shoot them to death yes, but trying to aim for non-leathal, hoping they live.

Quote by teensean

QFT. If you serve too many masters, you'll never excell. Pick one or two and devote yourself to them. Practice practice practice. Sure, keep the others as hobbies, but you have to pick somthing you feel passionate about and want to excell in and put 110% of yourself into it.

You'll never be exceptional at somthing if you're not devoting enough time to it.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Kensai end Trefellin win this thread.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by XxGloriousxX
God damnit UG. im fed up with my life. i feel like i have no real "talent". i play guitar, i skateboard, i take pictures from time to time, i make music in frootyloops, i took judo, i do alot of stuff. but im not good at ANY of them. i have no talent, its not that i want to be the best at any of these things, but i'd like to be good at something. im just average or novice at everything i do and it makes me feel worthless. i spend time doing these things and practicing sometimes, but it feels like im never getting anywhere. what do i do? how do i know what i have a natural talent for?

right i sometimes feel like this.. youve just got to stay dedicated to the "cause".. I found out i'm exceedingly good at maths.. and wish i had taken further maths.. but meh.. that is life.. but i would have been with the girl i like a lot more.. dang.. why didnt i think of this earlier!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by XxGloriousxX
damn, so how come some people start things after me and do it better?

It's called natural talent, and it makes up for about 10% of actual skill. The other 90% is hard work and consistant practice, along with pushing yourself to be better. Sure, someone might be able to pick up a guitar and play "Hey Joe" chords in a week, but they won't be better then someone who worked hard for 3 years to play it CD-perfect.

You're only as good as the amount of time you put into somthing. You get out of life exactly what you put in.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by XxGloriousxX
damn, so how come some people start things after me and do it better?

They practice more and/or better than you. Time spent practicing is only half the equation, you also need to practice WELL.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
At least you're good at not being good. Wait a second...
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
They practice more and/or better than you. Time spent practicing is only half the equation, you also need to practice WELL.

^That too. Mindless repetition gets you nowhere. Neither does feeling sorry for yourself. If you wanna be good, get pissed and push yourself to be better every day and work on it every day.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
play bass

hilarious.
Quote by yellowfrizbee

Quote by Pinky19

Once again.
Quote by Guitarfreak777

Honestly, is anyone really "better" than anyone else at guitar? Yngwie Malmsteen is a god at shredding, yes, but can he play blues? How about punk? There isn't a point in trying to be "the best" at guitar, becuase there isn't enough time to master every single style, form, technique or speed.
"We were one among the fence"
Quote by diofan88
You have no idea how many mornings my dad has woken up to me in my underroos rocking out in the morning...on a mission...A MISSION TO ROOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!!!
Also, what Kensai said. I accidentally double posted I'z sorry.
Quote by diofan88
You have no idea how many mornings my dad has woken up to me in my underroos rocking out in the morning...on a mission...A MISSION TO ROOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!!!
Quote by teensean
if your looking to be naturally amazing at something, keep looking, that is pretty rare.
if you want to be good at something you have to keep doing it for a long time, and eventually you'll get better.
if it was easy everyone would be amazing at something in a week.

This pretty much. Oh and stop paying attention to the progress your friends are making and just focus on your own. Trying to keep up with them will only make you lose sight of what you're really trying to accomplish (unless you feel like they will push to work harder I suppose).
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Do better in school?
Sorry, I don't know if you're smart or not, just a suggestion...
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.

Quote by zwound
Win

Quote by __Pent__

^^Too bad I can't do this in real life
Quote by Insanitydenied
Honestly, is anyone really "better" than anyone else at guitar? Yngwie Malmsteen is a god at shredding, yes, but can he play blues? How about punk? There isn't a point in trying to be "the best" at guitar, becuase there isn't enough time to master every single style, form, technique or speed.

That's a false statement. Just because his CDs aren't blues or punk doesn't mean he can't play them, in fact he can probably play them better then most people. Goes the other way too; just because someone is in a blues band doesn't mean they can't shred, and guys in punk bands can probably play blues too.

Just because it's on the CD doesn't mean that's all they know. ESPECIALLY in the case of a classically trained and highly experienced/practiced guitarist like Yngwie.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
I totally know how you feel I had a freak out about it just yesterday actually. v_v it makes you feel absolutely terrible.

Part of my problem is I have no drive either to better myself.
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.
thanks for all the comments so far i guess i see where everyone is coming from. but i have a question about "practice" or spending time trying to move forward in whatever it is you want to be good at. i guess i'll use guitar as an example. when you guys practice, do you spend more time reinforcing things you can already do, trying to do things you cant do, or some sort of odd combination of them both?
Quote by yellowfrizbee

Quote by Pinky19

Once again.
Quote by Guitarfreak777

Quote by Insanitydenied

Yes there is. Guthrie Govan owns your soul.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by XxGloriousxX
thanks for all the comments so far i guess i see where everyone is coming from. but i have a question about "practice" or spending time trying to move forward in whatever it is you want to be good at. i guess i'll use guitar as an example. when you guys practice, do you spend more time reinforcing things you can already do, trying to do things you cant do, or some sort of odd combination of them both?

It's both, but not necessarily all at once. Of course you have to re-enforce what you already know or you'll get sloppy at it, but at the same time you'll stagnate if you don't learn new things. Generally I divide up my practices, some days I'll only work on what I already know, some days just new things I want to learn, some days both. I practice every day(somtimes several times a day) so that gives me a minimum 7 practices to mix it up with.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by XxGloriousxX

Both; learn something and then expand upon it, twist it, change it as many different ways as you can think of while still retaining the core technique of the original and before long you've got something that sounds nothing like what you started with but feels exactly the same to you.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Garou1911
That's a false statement. Just because his CDs aren't blues or punk doesn't mean he can't play them, in fact he can probably play them better then most people. Goes the other way too; just because someone is in a blues band doesn't mean they can't shred, and guys in punk bands can probably play blues too.

Just because it's on the CD doesn't mean that's all they know. ESPECIALLY in the case of a classically trained and highly experienced/practiced guitarist like Yngwie.

Garou, I really didn't mean for it to come across that way. I meant that Yngwie is a god at shredding, but in blues, do you honestly think he bests B.B. King and the like? Guys like B.B. are known for blues and such, while guys like Yngwie are primarily shredders. Some guitarists prefer emotion, some prefer technique, my point is, there isn't any reason to be upset that someone is better, because you just might be better than them in another style.
Quote by diofan88
Feeling sorry for yourself won't help a damn thing.

From what I am taking from your posts, it seems you hold things as a sort of competition. The point of guitar isn't to kick some kids ass at Guitar Center. Judo is kind of about kicking someone's ass, but it was created for the self-discipline in knowing that you don't NEED to. Skating and photography are expression. You can't exactly kick someone's ass expressing yourself.

What you're doing is elevating things to an extent of wonderment, that you'll never get to them. To paraphrase the standard, you're putting it all on a pedestal. You seem to be taking it all very seriously. Taking things seriously isn't bad, but when you do so to the extent that you a) lose sight of what drew you to it in the first place, and b) break down when you don't do things to your illogically elevated standard, you take it all too far.

EDIT:
To the practicing question:

If I'm learning a song, I'll just take bits at a time, standard stuff.

I really can't call it practice otherwise, because I honestly just play. I mean, I practice a bit, but thats just like learning scales or something, which I don't do often. I just **** around, really. You should never have to look at what you are doing as work if you like it.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Last edited by Chris_Parker at Nov 29, 2008,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Yes there is. Guthrie Govan owns your soul.

I admit defeat, but I made my point. I suppose Guthrie is the exception.
Quote by diofan88
Quote by Insanitydenied
Garou, I really didn't mean for it to come across that way. I meant that Yngwie is a god at shredding, but in blues, do you honestly think he bests B.B. King and the like? Guys like B.B. are known for blues and such, while guys like Yngwie are primarily shredders. Some guitarists prefer emotion, some prefer technique, my point is, there isn't any reason to be upset that someone is better, because you just might be better than them in another style.

You're an idiot for thinking that they're somehow mutually exclusive and not entirely in the ear of the listener but that's probably not something for here.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You're an idiot for thinking that they're somehow mutually exclusive and not entirely in the ear of the listener but that's probably not something for here.

You'll note that I said some prefer technique to skill, not that there weren't players that had both. I must say, you're realy reaching for insults at this point.

On topic: Don't sweat it, TS, try your hardest at one thing for as long as you need, and if that doesn't work, try another. You've got your life ahead of you.
Quote by diofan88
Quote by Insanitydenied
You'll note that I said some prefer technique to skill, not that there weren't players that had both. I must say, you're realy reaching for insults at this point.

It's late and I'm tired and hungry, I get very snappy when these things happen, sorry dude

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Rape. Wait, what?
ಠ_ಠ WILL GIVE HEAD

Quote by Myxer
Have to give you props that the funniest post I read in a while
Quote by GogglesVK

hazardmaster has won this thread.

Fender Stratocaster 57' Reissue (Japanese)
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's late and I'm tired and hungry, I get very snappy when these things happen, sorry dude

ahh, all if forgiven. no hard feelings.
Quote by diofan88
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

hey, don't turn this into a "there's no such thing as emotion" thread. He made his point and you know what he meant.
edit: scratch that, saw the apology

also ts, i should be able to help: just forget about being best and enoy yourself. be thankful that you have the opportunity to give it a go. there are over 6.5 bln people in the world and very few are the best at something.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Page 1 of 2