Hey there, I'm looking into getting a new fuzz pedal for my board, I'm currently using the little big muff, which the guy at guitar center said was pretty much indecernible from the american big muff model, but it doent quite cut through enough sometimes, even when the tone is all the way up. The other guitar player in my band uses the Bozz FZ-5, but it has a bit of a digital edge to it i don't like, but despite that its insanely loud and dynamic. I'm looking for something that can compete in volume, and can give me anything from the My Bloody Valentine massive and indescernible sound to some sludge metal/stoner rock cut for heavy riffs and squealing leads. The options Im now considering are the Keeley Fuzz Head (for the GE/SI switch) or the Z-Vex Fuzz factory. for a frame of reference I'm also going to be using a clean boost like the MXR Custom Audio Electronics or the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster to have not only a tamer option but also to give it extra umph when I cascade them. If anyone has any experience with these pedals let me know how you like them, or if you have any other suggestions that would be helpful as well
Strat>Interstellar Overdriver>Little Big Muff>Supersonic Fuzz Gun>Crybaby Classic>Crybaby>VP Jr. (TU-2 tuner out)>Electric Mistress XO>RV-3>E-1005 w/ Footswitch>DD-6 (stereo out)>DL-4 w/ Expression Pedal>Stereo Tremolo>Headrush>Fender Deluxe 85(2x)
i think you just need an amp more suited to your style of music.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
^ naw.

I'd recommend something like by Devi Ever for fuzz.

Also, the trick for MBV type walls of sound is putting a reverb BEFORE your distortion/fuzz/OD.

the SD pickup booster is really wicked.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by chea_man

i was just thinking the same thing

whats your budget?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

or maybe mod your muff to have a less scooped tone
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Yeah I'm going to be getting a better amp soon as my Deluxe 85 broke downb really, I had the fender amp becuase when I go clean I like it twangy, I'll probably be getting a marshall half-stack. thanks for the advice on the pedal chain I'll give it a shot.
Strat>Interstellar Overdriver>Little Big Muff>Supersonic Fuzz Gun>Crybaby Classic>Crybaby>VP Jr. (TU-2 tuner out)>Electric Mistress XO>RV-3>E-1005 w/ Footswitch>DD-6 (stereo out)>DL-4 w/ Expression Pedal>Stereo Tremolo>Headrush>Fender Deluxe 85(2x)
i wouldnt blow money on a pedal when your will end up buying an amp that will do that sound pedal free.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I've played through plenty of amps and i 100% guarantee you that no amp for less then 1500 dollars will get ANYTHING close to the fuzz tone I'm looking for. Amp distortions tends to be crunchier, more defined, I need something that will make peoples eyes melt and teeth fall out.
there is no amp that will ever come close to recreating MBV's sound "pedal free"

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Is the fender you're running tube? For running a fuzz I definitely suggest running it through a clean amp; sounds much better. And I used a Russian Muff while jamming yesterday with another guitarist and a drummer and it can cut through really well with the tone knob up about halfway. I'd definitley suggest the Russian Muff. Or, if you want to spend more money, Build Your Own Clone's Large Beaver muff copies sound insanely good (a lot better than current muffs, and seem to be spot on to the originals if not better sounding) and you can get one for like 80 or 90 bucks, or 110 if you buy it from a dealer who'll build it for you. Visist their site and see if the sound is what you're looking for. I'm probably going to go after one of their Large Beaver's by the end of the year.
I'm running my fender on clean, I have a russian big muff which I like alright, It reminds me a lot of my 80's ProCo RAT, but without the ability for cleaner overdrive sounds, but I dont like that the inputs are reversed. It's also had a problem recently where if I turn the switch on it cuts off my sound entirely unless I unplug the input and plug it back in, at which point it works fine until I turn it off and then back on again, if anyone knows how to fix this problem that would also help thanks.
I'd get the new Danelectro Cool Cat series fuzz, I got one and it sounds great, well worth the money.

It's cheaper than most other pedals too, so if you get a bigger and better amp, you didn't throw away too much money.
I played a Fulltone '70 pedal today, and I thought it sounded really cool.

I tried the ZVex Fuzz and it fed back like a mofo, on every setting I tried it at! Even running through a clean amp. I didn't like! >:-(
Saint Louis Blues
Quote by klysandral
I'll probably be getting a marshall half-stack.

Which one? This is important.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by chea_man

This.

I vote Laney AOR 50 and a Red Witch Fuzz God II.
To all the "get a new amp" brigaders, as a die hard My Bloody Valentine fan I can say that there is no amp, short of something custom built with a fuzz pedal as distortion or whatever, that can get even close to their sound on their own. Get off the "new amp is the answer to all gear questions" bandwagon.

TS: Look for one of the re-issued Fender Blenders (I know Kevin used an original one at some point) or if that fails, look into modding your Russian Big Muff. The Blender should be your first port of call though.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Goolz, not you too. You should know better.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I'm not too sure if they will fit your style, but you could try the Catalinbread V8 Fuzz Generator, the MI Audio GI Fuzz or the MI Audio Neo Fuzz pedal.
^ The Neo Fuzz will suit you better than the GI. I can't speak for the Catalinbread as I've never used one.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
Goolz, not you too. You should know better.

I read the stoner/sludge part of the post thank you.

Laney AOR and a Red Witch Fuzz God would be on my short list for that type of thing. I don't listen to MBV, so I can't help with that.
out of curiousity, is the AOR series all tube? I know Kyle from the Sword uses those (along with an orange) so I've been kind of curious about those things; never heard of them until I read a GP interview with the sword.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
out of curiousity, is the AOR series all tube? I know Kyle from the Sword uses those (along with an orange) so I've been kind of curious about those things; never heard of them until I read a GP interview with the sword.

Yes, they are all tube

The AOR is the Pro Tube Lead iirc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj9IAvv32wE

The toanz are awesome.
oh crap, Sleep used them?

/thread

Wow, I'm actually really interested in one of those 50 watt combos or heads. They're on ebay for like 3 - 6 hundred normally in good condition. I'm in need of an amp for vintagy, fuzzy, sludgy riffs. Are the cleans good? Or for that matter, does it HAVE a clean channel? If so, then I'm game for them. I really need an amp with a clear and decent sized headroom clean channel with a great lead channel (althought the latter I could always replicate with some pedals). Cuz it's either the AOR or an Ampeg V4 and some additional fx.
I don't know what kind of marshall half-stack would be best but my budget for one is probably under 1000, suggestions would be great. As for the fender blender i have a reissue and its alright, but it actually CUTS my volume w/o the treble boost, and with the treble boost its extremely harsh, i use it for another project (two guitars only, ambient/noise) when i want to make a ****ton of harsh staticy noise, I don't know how the originals compare though. To everyone else: thanks for the suggestions I'm going to be checking out sound bites on them to make some decisions.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
oh crap, Sleep used them?

/thread

Wow, I'm actually really interested in one of those 50 watt combos or heads. They're on ebay for like 3 - 6 hundred normally in good condition. I'm in need of an amp for vintagy, fuzzy, sludgy riffs. Are the cleans good? Or for that matter, does it HAVE a clean channel? If so, then I'm game for them. I really need an amp with a clear and decent sized headroom clean channel with a great lead channel (althought the latter I could always replicate with some pedals). Cuz it's either the AOR or an Ampeg V4 and some additional fx.

The AOR is a single channel, IIRC.

Dual amp it with a VT 22 or a Reverberocket head (that's actually what I plan to do.)
damn, single channel? oh well. I guess i'm gunna go for a V4 and some pedals! I don't know that much about those other ampeg heads though. single channel amps too i'm assuming?
^If I remember correctly, yes.
yes go goolz!

AORs are awesome amps I own one it's a great blues classic rock amp and all the way up to classic metal it's great for even some more modern stuff

there are also some clips on my profile if you want to hear more of it

EDIT: btw the AORs are not techincally single channel amps it's just a matter of how clean you want your drive channel if you want a clean clean channel your gonna have to have a less gainy dirty channel.

I ahve mine where it's just breaking up on the clean channel and you can turn down and it's got some nicish clean and on the drity channel it's almost scorpions kinda gain with a humbucker
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Nov 30, 2008,
Check this site out:

www.fuzzhugger.com

I had an AOR100 head. Very fizzy, VERY unreliable. They love to blow Output transformers and its almost not worth fixing them cause a working one sells for $250. Nice amp if you want a push-pull amp to mod, or just a loud cheap tube amp.
Last edited by eurotrashed at Nov 30, 2008,
Quote by eurotrashed
Check this site out:

www.fuzzhugger.com

I had an AOR100 head. Very fizzy, VERY unreliable. They love to blow Output transformers and its almost not worth fixing them cause a working one sells for $250. Nice amp if you want a push-pull amp to mod, or just a loud cheap tube amp.

I dunno what you're talking about man I have a AOR 50w combo and it's built to survive a nuclear war. and is not at all fizzy as long as you EQ it right and keep the volume up a little
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Highwaytohell
I would recommend an Earthquaker Hoof Fuzz and an AOR.

Quote by Bostonrocks
I dunno what you're talking about man I have a AOR 50w combo and it's built to survive a nuclear war. and is not at all fizzy as long as you EQ it right and keep the volume up a little

Are you on the original OT? Once that is upgraded, they are a lot better. But a good OT is around $100 if you get a JCM800 replacement or $200+ for a Mercury Magnetics one. Sold mine for $125 plus shipping...
I dunno I got it used for like 200 bucks never checked

but I put new tubes and a V30 in it and the helped I'm sure
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
The Hoof Fuzz sounds awesome, currently its looking like I'm going to get a JCM 800 Half-Stack and use the SD pickup booster along with the hoof fuzz, since its had the best variation of good sounds I've found. Eventually (when i have way more money) i want to get a Vox AC100 Head and an Orange Thunderverb 200w and use a line selector (Orange for the Distortion Channel and Vox for the Clean Channel).

so... im thinking Holy Grail reverb > Hoof Fuzz > Original Dunlop Crybaby > SD Pickup booster > Boss DD-6 > Boss RV-3 > Tuner > JCM 800
Last edited by klysandral at Nov 30, 2008,
Quote by klysandral
The Hoof Fuzz sounds awesome, currently its looking like I'm going to get a JCM 800 Half-Stack and use the SD pickup booster along with the hoof fuzz, since its had the best variation of good sounds I've found. Eventually (when i have way more money) i want to get a Vox AC100 Head and an Orange Thunderverb 200w and use a line selector (Orange for the Distortion Channel and Vox for the Clean Channel).

so... im thinking Holy Grail reverb > Hoof Fuzz > Original Dunlop Crybaby > SD Pickup booster > Boss DD-6 > Boss RV-3 > Tuner > JCM 800

Sounds like a good setup to me.

The AC100 has toanz for days, though not the typical Vox tones.

If you're going after the Orange sound, you should look at an OR80, OR120, or an Electric Amps GT series, or a Matamp GT series amp.

Also, did you check out the Red Witch? It's a bit more high gain than the Hoof Fuzz.
Quote by imgooley
Yes, they are all tube

The AOR is the Pro Tube Lead iirc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj9IAvv32wE

The toanz are awesome.

Wait, I remember looking at an AOR combo awhile ago and it looked like it had quite a few more knobs than the protube and I think is said it was two channels. I do believe the AOR has Pro Tube written on it, but I think they're different. If i'm not mistaken, the Pro Tube Leads are the same heads that Tony Iommi used to use with Sabbath. At the very least it looks like the same head in the best of sabbath booklet. I could be wrong....
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Wait, I remember looking at an AOR combo awhile ago and it looked like it had quite a few more knobs than the protube and I think is said it was two channels. I do believe the AOR has Pro Tube written on it, but I think they're different. If i'm not mistaken, the Pro Tube Leads are the same heads that Tony Iommi used to use with Sabbath. At the very least it looks like the same head in the best of sabbath booklet. I could be wrong....

I've heard that Iommi used Laney Klipps in the early days of sabbath.

The AOR has an added gain boost, IIRC. I'm not completely sure, though.
It has a 4th preamp tube so you have your Clean channel that you can use for and ACDC tone or if you use a strat or something with single coils can get some okay clean if you throw a chorus on it.

and then you pull the preamp 1 knob and it lights up that 4th tube and you get a huge gain boost. and a tighter more modern channel much like a JCM800 with a extra amount of gain
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era