Hey guys, my dad recently bought me an Epiphone SG at Guitar Center for a birthday gift. Way cheap, about $280!
It's the honeyburst deluxe no-pickguard model, I think musiciansfriend.com was selling it for a while.

Anyway, I think I'd like to replace all the hardware with updated versions in black colors (the look of gold doesn't catch on to my eye.)
I'm thinking that I'd like to get some black Grover Rotomatics, a TonePros cosmo black bridge/tailpiece set, 250k tone pots with push-pull for coil-splitting (either on both or one), 500k volume pots, new speedy knobs, and, uh.. I believe that's it.

I've come to you guys to ask about what pickups I should drop into the guitar.
My playing style is pretty wide, from metal to bluesy-cleans and classy fusion-type soloing. If any of that makes sense.

anywho, I'm looking for versatile pickups, which is what brought me to DiMarzios. The thing about that is, my guitar's body is mahogany, and I've heard DiMarzios are great in alder and basswood bodied guitars. But I figured since the guitar's body itself isn't too thick and mahogany bodies have that sound character with some warmth, it'd be okay if I found some powerful pups.
I'm thinking of an X2N for the bridge, but I can't figure out what to get for the neck.

I'm seeking advice on what pickups to get, any pickups, and why. I'm keeping a keen eye out for any DiMarzio recommendations, but any other pups would do.

Also, if you guys know of any websites/online catalogs selling the type of equipment I listed above for good prices, link me up!

Thanks in advance.
yes, but maybe wait a bit longer than 5 hrs. If you are so keen on dimarzio (which you shouldn't just be set on one brand) go to the website and use the pickup picker thing, its in the bottom right corner in pickups
I did, it brought up some results.

I'm not only set on one brand, DiMarzios just kinda caught my eye a bit more because of the Evolutions I installed in my Kelly that I like a lot.

I was just looking for some second opinions, that's all.
I've never really seen the sense in spending a fortune on hardware just for the color, but heck, if it floats your boat, go right ahead. I guess you can always use the spare parts.

I'd use 500k tone pots. They'll let your pickups sing at 10 and still give you the option of darkening up at 1-9

I'm assuming you know everything you need to about wiring the pickups.

As for the actual pickups, the X2N is crazy powerful. If you want to melt faces with the gain all the way up, it's perfect, but I find pickups that intense to have harsh clean tones. It just depends on how met-hul you want to be. Remember: Higher output does not always equal Better!

For the neck, if you want a bit more kick, you could try an Air Norton. Honestly, I know a lot more about Seymour Duncans, and a lot of UGers will suggest some less widely-distributed pickups, so they might be more help. In any case, I'd say just go for whatever sounds good on paper. It's not a very efficient method of finding the best pickups, but the best way to find out how one sounds it to put it into a guitar and play. You'll figure out what you like quickly enough. Oh, and if anyone has any interest in a random assortment of SD pickups, let me know
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Ah, yeah, kinda weird I suppose, but I just don't like the look of gold all that much.
I love the way the guitar looks, but at the same time, gold hardware just looks funny. xD I wasn't planning on replacing that stuff any time soon at all, though.

Do you know of any sites that sell those for decent prices? And do you believe there are any certain brands I should look out for, or any would do?

I've read reviews saying the X2N was versatile as far as metal sounds (dropped-tuning chords, shrederrific riffs) but how do you think it would sound for soloing, and in split-coil mode? I was thinking I'd like a bridge pickup that was powerful enough to handle metal pieces (the type that isn't just drop-D chords, though) and can split for some nice rock tones.

And I have the Hot Rodded set of Duncans (JB and Jazz). I installed them in my Kelly, but I wasn't too sure if I liked them, so I popped 'em out the next day and threw in the Evolutions.
Since I only sound tested them for a little while, what do you think of those two?
And what kind of Duncans would you recommend? I'd love to get advice of any kind.

I've also read a lot of reviews about Gibson's Dirty Fingers humbucker.. sounds pretty monstrous. Anyone else who may own one wanna throw out some knowledge? ^.^
Last edited by LeePwn7 at Nov 30, 2008,
Quote by LeePwn7
Ah, yeah, kinda weird I suppose, but I just don't like the look of gold all that much.
I love the way the guitar looks, but at the same time, gold hardware just looks funny. xD I wasn't planning on replacing that stuff any time soon at all, though.

Do you know of any sites that sell those for decent prices? And do you believe there are any certain brands I should look out for, or any would do?

I've read reviews saying the X2N was versatile as far as metal sounds (dropped-tuning chords, shrederrific riffs) but how do you think it would sound for soloing, and in split-coil mode? I was thinking I'd like a bridge pickup that was powerful enough to handle metal pieces (the type that isn't just drop-D chords, though) and can split for some nice rock tones.

And I have the Hot Rodded set of Duncans (JB and Jazz). I installed them in my Kelly, but I wasn't too sure if I liked them, so I popped 'em out the next day and threw in the Evolutions.
Since I only sound tested them for a little while, what do you think of those two?
And what kind of Duncans would you recommend? I'd love to get advice of any kind.

I've also read a lot of reviews about Gibson's Dirty Fingers humbucker.. sounds pretty monstrous. Anyone else who may own one wanna throw out some knowledge? ^.^

You talking about hardware?

if so check out guitarfetish.com

they have great prices on hardware

as for pups pretty much listen to some samples, find out what your fav. artists play, and go from there

i've heard good things about the gibson dirty fingers if you want to try them out call some local guitar centers and see if they have the dirty finger model of the epiphone prophesy in stock then you can test em

good luck.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
I have a Vox AD50VT.
I'm thinking of either..
X2N bridge, Tone Zone neck
Super Distortion bridge, PAF Pro neck
Tone Zone Bridge, PAF Pro neck
All from DiMarzio.
Or,
EMG-81 bridge, EMG-89 neck,
EMG-89 bridge, EMG-85 neck

Any input on those combinations, anybody? :P
Is it a 400 or not??

the 400 is worth upgrading very much, but 280 might be a little cheap for one...

The specials and 310 are not worth upgrading so much... because of the cheaper wood, EMG's might be a little better...but not good at all for bluesy or fusion...

I have no experience with the others though
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
I'd shove in a high/mid gain combo. An X2N in the bridge 'cause it's a mid/treble heavy pickup, so the mahogany wood will bring out the bass in it, along with shoving it into the bridge slot, of course.

Maybe a PAF JOE in the neck? It has less bass than the PAF PRO which would reduce the boom that the mahogany would add to it.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K
I'd shove in a high/mid gain combo. An X2N in the bridge 'cause it's a mid/treble heavy pickup, so the mahogany wood will bring out the bass in it, along with shoving it into the bridge slot, of course.

Maybe a PAF JOE in the neck? It has less bass than the PAF PRO which would reduce the boom that the mahogany would add to it.

The X2N seems pretty beast, and I was thinking a PAF Pro would sound good because I've seen/heard a few LPs with those in the neck, sounded nice.

What do you think about the Super 2? It's got a high treble/mid with a somewhat low bass, maybe that would be okay with the mahogany wood, too?
Maybe even the Evolution set?
They sound good in my Jackson, though I think it could use a new master volume pot, a better soldering job, and better wiring. It's also alder-bodied, so I'm sure the characteristics of the sound would be much different. (They're F-spaced, so I wouldn't be able to drop them in my SG to test them. :/)

Rock Savior, it's the honeyburst Epi SG, the one with gold hardware and no pickguard. I don't know the model, just picked it up from Guitar Center. I know for sure it's a mahogany body and set neck.
Hard to beat A Seymour Duncan JB in bridge, and 59 in the neck. Or a Super Distortion bridge and a Jazz neck. I find Dimarzio's sound better on brighter guitars, made of alder, ash, basswood etc.
Not always true, Matt, I've seen a lot of mahogany-bodied guitars with DiMarzios in them.

And, how about this, for a change:

Can anyone vouch for the DiMarzio PAF pro in the bridge position? How's its tonal range? Can it pull off some leads/hard rock/metal, maybe even some crunchy cleans? (Heard that it could, I'd just like more opinions.)

What about any other PAFs from DiMarzio? The 36th Anniversary, bridge and the regular, etc.?

I've got a JB and a Jazz I plan on dropping in the SG soon to test it out, so I'm not being too strict on my pickup choice.
Like I said, though, I'm a fan of DiMarzios, that's why I'm asking about them so much. :P