This was my first guitar my mom bought ($75) me many years ago. It's a Dean Jammer III that I think was made in 1989. It was originally red with a black pickguard. Over the years it has been several different colors (red, blue, black, grey and now white). I wish I had some old pics of it but I don't. I bought my digital camera today so I updated alot of old pics in my profile and added some new ones.

I painted it white with regular spray paint. I installed a Seymour Duncan SH-6b Distortion humbucker that I had in my LTD for a while. I used some old pots and knobs I had laying around from other projects. I bought a single humbucker black pearl pickguard on ebay. The rest of the hardware is all original.

Here's a few pics. I wish it looked this good is person but the paint job is kind of rough when you get up close to it. For how little I've got in it it looks good. It's got a little bit of a relic thing goin' that some of my friends like. So here it is.

Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Jan 17, 2009,
Wow man nice! I like the pickguard and colour combo, very classy.

With a clear coat, and about $20 of sandpaper and buffing compound, you can make it shine like a showroom car if you really want to.

I dig flat finishes though.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I'm not so down with pearloid pickguards, but I can't fault you on what you've done, and the end result is ideal.

Like I mentioned in Øttər's thread: this is what these boards are about. Granted, it's great to see perfect custom guitars that have taken months to build, but the smart tinkering should never be overshadowed. It's all about using your head to breathe new life into your gear, so that none of it ever sees retirement.
Quote by Øttər
Wow man nice! I like the pickguard and colour combo, very classy.

With a clear coat, and about $20 of sandpaper and buffing compound, you can make it shine like a showroom car if you really want to.

I dig flat finishes though.

For a long time it was 4 different colors. I had sanded it and you could see the various colors it had been. I figured flat white would look better than that so I gave it a quick coat of white. I'd like to redo it in gloss white and I probably will one of these days.
Quote by -MintSauce-
I'm not so down with pearloid pickguards, but I can't fault you on what you've done, and the end result is ideal.

Like I mentioned in Øttər's thread: this is what these boards are about. Granted, it's great to see perfect custom guitars that have taken months to build, but the smart tinkering should never be overshadowed. It's all about using your head to breathe new life into your gear, so that none of it ever sees retirement.

That really is true.

I remember when I first joined UG.

The GB&C was a very, very different place.

Us old timers (even though I'm really that much of an old school user) can restore this forum to its former glory, I think.

It really is true, this is all about making guitars that work, not that are super perfect in every way.

Whoops, thread jack.

You know what is a great, cheap improvement? Doing an oil finish on your neck. I often find lacquer finishes sort of "sticky", so if you do as well, you can oil it, or just rough it up with sandpaper so it isn't glossy.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I love pearloid pickguards, I'm looking for one for my own little project.

I kinda like the idea of a black bridge to go with the white body, I think that would bring out a different contrast to it.

Are you going to paint the headstock white?

Good work on it!
Quote by Micehorns
I love pearloid pickguards, I'm looking for one for my own little project.

I kinda like the idea of a black bridge to go with the white body, I think that would bring out a different contrast to it.

Are you going to paint the headstock white?

Good work on it!

Most of the hardware is chrome the reflection makes it look black. I would like to put black hardware on it though. The volume and tone knobs are black. I'm gonna leave the headstock black but I'll probably add some writing in white.
this looks awesome, you know what will make it cooler? Paint a black line around the outside sorta like binding but without all the trouble and put a black bridge on it, it will look awesomer
Quote by Øttər
You know what is a great, cheap improvement? Doing an oil finish on your neck. I often find lacquer finishes sort of "sticky", so if you do as well, you can oil it, or just rough it up with sandpaper so it isn't glossy.

Yeah, this is really true. If you just rough up the back of a neck with 400 grit, it really does a lot for it's playability in my opinion.
TS, can you do something for me? Measure the distance between the nut and the 12th fret then double it. I wanna know that distance, cause in my eyes the scale length looks very short on this guitar (unless its the pic?)
Looks good, I've always had a fetish for white guitars.

I only see 1 strap button though. Is the other one behind the heel? Seems odd for a strat shape guitar.
Quote by Pyrofretnic

I only see 1 strap button though. Is the other one behind the heel? Seems odd for a strat shape guitar.

I moved it to the back of the top horn. I know thats an odd place but it more comfortable for me because the strap lays flat against me intead of twisting. I guess I'm just used to my V & Explorer with the strap buttons on the back.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Nov 30, 2008,
Here's a few more pics for you all to check out. The knobs blend into the pickguard in the most pics so I got a better pic of those. I know the pics are kinda dark but the flash was causing a bad glare so I turned it of.

Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by Pyrofretnic

Here's a pic of the other one.

I have now painted this guitar again. I painted it back to it's original color Red. Here are some updated pics. I put a cover over the pickup too.

Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Aug 14, 2009,