Page 1 of 2
Hey, I really like the Fender FM Half-Stack (around $500 for head and cab) and will probably get it for Christmas, but I just wanted to know if it was a decent amp for the price, or if it's crud. Thx.
honestly, you can do so much better for that price. what styles of music do you play and are you gonna be playing any gigs?
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
bought the fm100 212 and i detested it

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

The little 10 or 15 watt version isnt terrible as a practice amp. The stack version is the same just alot bigger. Its cheap for a reason. There is way better to be had but it wont be a head and cab. 500 will get a good combo amp but gets alot of junk in the half stack department.
if you want a cheap stack that sounds good for metal get the randall one in your budget, other wise go used or save up a little more
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
The cleans are DECENT.

You can do waaaaaaay better though.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Oh for the love of god please don't waste all that money on an overpriced practice amp. If you're going to get a FM just get the 15W version but you could do a lot better for the money.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
It sucks for the price, plain and simple.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Why do you need a half stack? The whole adolescent "I need a half stack for gigs" thing is dumb. Get a 30 watt tube amp and be done
kk thx all, any specific reccomendations?
I play pretty much any rock, I like metal and hard rock the best tho
and I'm not keen on getting like a really small amp and then want a new one in a couple months, a nice one, not super big and expensive, but good enough to last for like a couple years. I like Fender and Marshall, but if there's a good combo from another company, I'd probably go for it.
Last edited by Luigiman124 at Nov 30, 2008,
Fender - Not is voiced for metal.
Marshall - I actually find Marshall to be lacking in the modern metal tone department.

In any case, nothing in your price range from these two companies will be good.

Look at a Randall RG50TC, or a B-52 AT-112. On the used market, look out for a used Mesa F-30, used Mesa F-50, to name a couple.
Kk thx, thats a little too expensive, i could get it but. . . I've been looking around and i saw the Marshall MG100DFX Combo, and it looks nice for the price, or the Marshall MG250DFX Stereo Combo Amp any feedback on that? Thx again all.
Last edited by Luigiman124 at Nov 30, 2008,
Quote by Luigiman124
Kk thx, thats a little too expensive, i could get it but. . . I've been looking around and i saw the Marshall MG100DFX Combo, and it looks nice for the price, or the Marshall MG250DFX Stereo Combo Amp any feedback on that? Thx again all.

NO! Don't get the following if possible: Fender Frontman, Line 6 Spider, or Marshall MG.

forsaknazrael's post covered what you should look at, you might not want to because of price but you will hate any of those amps I listed very quickly and want a new one.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
a 30 watt tube combo is the biggest amp you need. Stop talking these silly 100 watt amps
Quote by Luigiman124

Both are horrible. If you're considering an MG halfstack for 600, why is a Randall RG50TC so out of the question? It's 550 brand new, and will be louder than either Marshall. Also, it would be better voiced for metal.
Peavy classic 30 and a good drive pedal and you will be set for almost anything... awsome cleans and the dirt isnt bad you can pick up a used one for like 300 bucks...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is bunny. Copy him into your signature to help him acheive world dominance.
Quote by Luigiman124

I was just waiting for him to bring up the good ol' MG's
GEAR.

Schecter C1 FR Alpine White
Epi SG 310 (Heavily Modded)
Pod X3 Live
Orange AD30TC

YEAH!
no, i wanted a Marshall Combo, not half-stack, which is about $450, and the randall is like $650

So.... are all the MG's really that bad?
Last edited by Luigiman124 at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by Luigiman124

yes, THEY ARE ALL THAT BAD
Quote by Luigiman124
no, i wanted a Marshall Combo, not half-stack, which is about $450, and the randall is like $650

Marshall =/= Good. Just because lots of bands use Marshall does not mean they are the best. The tube Marshalls are good, not their small amps. Their ok for practice amps but anything above 30 watts is a waste of money.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Not true. 10" speakers just have a different tone.

Agreed.

Also, MGs are rebranded Park amplifiers FWIW.
The Fender FM halfstack is awsomely horrible.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Kevin Saale
Agreed.

Also, MGs are rebranded Park amplifiers FWIW.

They don't just slap the Marshall logo on existing Park models. They are made in the same factory, but plenty of asian amps and guitars share the same factories. Marshall did design the circuity. Open an MG up, you will see the Marshall logo on different components.
Quote by eurotrashed
They don't just slap the Marshall logo on existing Park models. They are made in the same factory, but plenty of asian amps and guitars share the same factories. Marshall did design the circuity. Open an MG up, you will see the Marshall logo on different components.

Ok, its a marshall branded park with marshall branded components, either way, it's an overpriced amp that is cheaply built.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Ok, its a marshall branded park with marshall branded components, either way, it's an overpriced amp that is cheaply built.

I had no problems with the build quality of my MG50. Lasted me 5 or 6 years before I shipped it away.

So what if its made in the Park factory? How many different brands come out of the Samick factory? Do you know how much rebranded stuff you buy each day?
My point is, whats the big deal about it?

After doing some quick research. The small SS Park amps are actually designed by Marshall. So if anything, Parks are rebranded Marshalls
Or, they're all just the same thing and they all suck. I don't see why people defend MGs, they don't sound good, they usually don't last long and there are better amps for the same price.
I'm defending them because they are not that terrible, either that or I just have awesome tone in my fingers that makes everything sound good. You decide.

I haven't heard of anyone going through an MG quick, I have seen many badly battered MGs. Maybe the little 10 watts don't last long, but its an $80 amp or whatever...
Quote by eurotrashed
I'm defending them because they are not that terrible, either that or I just have awesome tone in my fingers that makes everything sound good. You decide.

I haven't heard of anyone going through an MG quick, I have seen many badly battered MGs. Maybe the little 10 watts don't last long, but its an $80 amp or whatever...

search our site; Marshall+ MG+broken+died+hate+ new+amp.

in different ways, it always comes up with pages and pages of hits.

we get dead mgs every month.

it's all of them not just the really crappy 10W.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Page 1 of 2