I bought an Ibanez SRX 705. Basically, whenever I turn the EQ on the bass up high, it sounds like I've turned a distortion pedal on. Whenever I leave the knobs turned all the way down, the sound stays clean. The same thing happens no matter what amp I'm using.

This isn't a normal thing that happens with active EQ's, is it?

If not, what might be causing it?
It's either a faulty preamp, or the volume increase from cranking the EQ is causing your amp to clip, in which case you need to adjust your input gain.
I get this all the time, but I think it's because my amp is a Line 6 LD175 .
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
It's because you're not supposed to dime the knobs on an active preamp because that's what happens, put simply.

If you need a bit more of whatever frequency, boost it on your amp and turn it down a bit on your bass. Simple.

And yeah, turn your volume down on your bass, you shouldn't need to dime ANY of the knobs on an active bass, volume included.
Thanks; this makes sense.

I've been keeping the volume and the highs on the bass turned all the way up. I suppose that's what was wrong.
he should change the battery.

I've played with the knobs in every possible position with many active basses, including my own, and had no distortion when the battery was new enough.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
You can also try a new battery and/or lowing the pickups a bit.
Its a flat battery.

Just change that bad boy over and viola.

If it still persists. somethings wrong.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by ZaccB
Its a flat battery.

Just change that bad boy over and viola.

If it still persists. somethings wrong.

In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by budget bassist
And yeah, turn your volume down on your bass, you shouldn't need to dime ANY of the knobs on an active bass, volume included.

The volume knob is never active. It ranges from letting all the signal through to the amp to sending it all to the ground. Having it maxed should be normal, as all passive volume knobs (like those found an damn near any bass) tend to lose treble faster than other frequencies. Keeping it maxed preserves tone.

As to the original question, you either are forcing the preamp in your amp to clip, need a new battery in your bass or have a dodgy bass preamp, in decreasing order of likelihood.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
might sound stupid, but you're using the active input, not the passive one, right?
the advice about changing your battery is good.
and when i'm using my active eq, if i boost one frequency, i try to just boost it a little, and cut another to make up for it. like, i have brittle highs on my 6 string, so i'll cut the highs and boost the mids or lows (or both, but not very high). i don't eq that into the amp, because my 4 string (which i use more often) doesn't need the highs cut.
Quote by gm jack
The volume knob is never active. It ranges from letting all the signal through to the amp to sending it all to the ground. Having it maxed should be normal, as all passive volume knobs (like those found an damn near any bass) tend to lose treble faster than other frequencies. Keeping it maxed preserves tone.

As to the original question, you either are forcing the preamp in your amp to clip, need a new battery in your bass or have a dodgy bass preamp, in decreasing order of likelihood.

This is true.

Unless the volume knob is a cut/boost, then it's just a plain old potentiometer with the right resistance to deal with the active circuitry - Doesn't do anything to the total output volume.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by fimbulwinter
I bought an Ibanez SRX 705. Basically, whenever I turn the EQ on the bass up high, it sounds like I've turned a distortion pedal on. Whenever I leave the knobs turned all the way down, the sound stays clean. The same thing happens no matter what amp I'm using.

This isn't a normal thing that happens with active EQ's, is it?

If not, what might be causing it?

You should be able to turn the EQ up full without any problem but this only if you take into account that it is the equivelent to turning up the volume, turn up the bass on the active system and it will have the same effect as turning up the output level on the Bass, in doing this you could be overdriving the input stage of you amplifier.

What amp do you use?
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I'd say its the battery, sounds like something that happened to me before