Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,
I finally have some money!

I've got about $2400 AUD and here's some of the options I've come across.

Caparison Horus *floyd* with bareknuckle pickup HS configuration - $1850
Caparison TAT *floyd* HSS - $2300
ESP Eclipse with seymour duncans HH- $1650
ESP Horizon with seymour duncans HH - $1050
ESP M *floyd* seymour duncans, 80's model HS - $1000
PRS Custom 24 HH - $2100
Custom made superstrat *floyd + tremelno* with dimarzios - $700
Gibson SG HH - $1100

Now I primarily play metal and was really after a guitar without a floyd but after looking around it's a little hard to find something really nice for metal without a floyd. I really just want something that I will be happy with for a long time because in the past I have taken shortcuts and ended up re selling. I would like to buy the Caparison Horus and the ESP Horizon but the extra $450 will take me about 2 months to get and buy then they'll both probably be gone. The M and Horus would be awesome to but they both have floyds and both have the same pickup configeration so I really don't know what to do there.

I can only try out the Eclipse, Horizon and custon made superstrat however I'm sure that I would LOVE the Caparison's so I'm willing to take the risk on them.

Out of those what would you consider to be the highest quality and the guitar that would satisfy me for years to come?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Last edited by howey at Nov 29, 2008,
it's EASY to find good metal guitars without a floyd! ESP eclipses are awesome! If you wanna spend a little less get an LTD EC1000 with EMGs, they're still awesome guitars for the money. Personally i'd go for an ESP eclipse though, i'm a les paul man and esp are ace for metal.
I'd go for an Eclipse or the PRS. I've had loads of good experiences with both. Dad's a PRS collector, see, and I play all of his "treasures". They're top notch in every sense of the word, methinks.
if you're into the radical guitar shapes, you can't go past an ESP EX or an Alexi.

Out of that list, I'd go for the Eclipse.

That said, as someone on here told me once, play all of them and get the one that feels best.
Quote by bokma
My first time hasn't come yet.. but when I does, I'm gonna die of stage fright

The Eclipse was a sunburst colour and it just looks a little to .... country to me. If I can find one in vintage black I maight take it. Na not really into extreme shapes, I just want something that I won't feel embarrased to play with live.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Jackson's man... that's the only way to go for me. All those other ones are nice, well the ones i know, but they just don't compare. I have an SL2H Soloist in Trans Blue and it is sweet. I have heard about this thing called a Tremel-No which i think you should look into. I'm considering one myself. It's basically a tremblocker that goes where the springs of your trem are and has 3 knobs on it. You can either put it in full floating mode, divebomb only mode, or fixed bridge mode.
are these brand new or second hand? where are they from? the prs seems like a good price if its new.
Quote by howey
The Eclipse was a sunburst colour and it just looks a little to .... country to me. If I can find one in vintage black I maight take it. Na not really into extreme shapes, I just want something that I won't feel embarrased to play with live.

Geet the matte black LTD EC1000, still top notch stuff
i recommend esp guitars XD i have a jh-600 and is just awesome i have a floyd rose and from personal experience i wish i had a fixed bridge instead it sucks when you want to change tunings on your floyd rose for example some bands play drop C and then other bands drop D and then you want to retune to standard if you have a floyd you have to use allen wrench to unlock thing then mess with tuners and if you tune one string others can go out of tune

so i recommend a fixed bridge even though floyd roses are pretty cool you can do some much with them but unless you are an advanced player you cant do much with them if not you going to end like one of those gutiar players that throws some random cool noise and it makes no sense to the song whatsoever or helps at all in the melody

and with a fixed bridge you have the advantage of changing tunings faster and when you change strings is a breeze while on my floyd rose every time i change strings is such a pain i have to get allen wrench unlock thing on top then unlock thing at bottom is just so much trouble if you go from lighter gauge to a bigger gauge the bridge needs to be realigned using springs on back X_X

in other words make sure you get a fixed bridge
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
Unforunatly there arn't many high end jacksons on the second hand market... probably because they kick so much ass, who knows lol. The new USA models are all around the $4000+ mark and thats just for to high for me at this stage.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Jackson's man... that's the only way to go for me. All those other ones are nice, well the ones i know, but they just don't compare. I have an SL2H Soloist in Trans Blue and it is sweet. I have heard about this thing called a Tremel-No which i think you should look into. I'm considering one myself. It's basically a tremblocker that goes where the springs of your trem are and has 3 knobs on it. You can either put it in full floating mode, divebomb only mode, or fixed bridge mode.

i was looking into that too man but the set up is such a pain in the ass X_X i looked for videos there was something called tremsetter another one called tremol-no

the set up is very advanced and i doubt the technicians at the guitar store will do a nice job without messing up my bridge there was a thing calle d-tuna as well but if you add that it probably touches the body of the guitar as you pull the bar
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
i would definitely have more of a look into it if i were you... they are some nice guitars and you can definitely get a sick one for 2400
Quote by jacksonmetaller
are you kidding man... i got my Jackson SL2H on ebay... the original price was $2150 and i got it for $1200. It was six months old and barely used.

once again to the people above complaining about floyds... TREMEL-NO http://www.tremol-no.com/products.asp

EBAY Australia search for jackson under musical instruments.
http://musical-instruments.shop.ebay.com.au/items/Musical-Instruments__jackson_W0QQ_catrefZ1QQ_flnZ1QQ_sacatZ619QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em282?_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

I do most of my buying on forums as the seller tends to be pretty desperate and lets thing go for great prices! I might get the Horizon and if its not for me then I shouldn't have much trouble trading it for something else.

I've always wanted to own a Caparison.
Anyone here actually played/owned one?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
is this what you're talking about? i can't tell if it's esp or ltd but it sais esp so... http://cgi.ebay.com/ESP-Eclipse-Black-w-EMG-81-and-60-Perfect-Condition_W0QQitemZ250331778155QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item250331778155&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

as for the jackson thing... that sucks. i live in the U.S. so it's pretty easy for me to find great stuff. I don't have to worry about shipping costs or damage.

but with 2400 you don't need to go secondhand.
Last edited by jacksonmetaller at Nov 29, 2008,
dude if you are buying used make sure you know how to check intonation of a guitar when i was noob i bought a guitar and the intonation is not fixable on this damm guitar i took it to a tech and still could not get it working so i have laying on my house somewhere -_- and let us know which gutiar you might be getting
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
ESP Eclipse FTW.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
This is the Eclipse that I'm after

This is the one for sale

Thanks for the headsup on intoneation bro!
I definatly take a look into it, either way whatever guitar I buy is going straight to Ormsby for a setup and possible pickup change .
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Buy an ESP Eclipse II with Ebony Fretboard, EMG 81/60 Actives. You won't be disappointed ^_^
Quote by stefan1988
dude if you are buying used make sure you know how to check intonation of a guitar when i was noob i bought a guitar and the intonation is not fixable on this damm guitar i took it to a tech and still could not get it working so i have laying on my house somewhere -_- and let us know which gutiar you might be getting

What? Unless the owner changed scale-length necks or did some drastic work on the body then I doubt that the intonatin would be unfixable.
What? Unless the owner changed scale-length necks or did some drastic work on the body then I doubt that the intonatin would be unfixable.

the guy said i needed to replace the bridge either the frets are too worn off or the bridge is messed up and i dont want to spend on knock off guitar for a bridge and some new refretting

Buy an ESP Eclipse II with Ebony Fretboard, EMG 81/60 Actives. You won't be disappointed ^_^

my guitar has a smilar setup the ebony wood for the fretboard is like silk for the fingers is just very very smooth and the emgs are very good pickups

my only problem with it it doesnt have 24 frets and the cutaway to reach the higher frets doesnt seem that great

but is a very nice guitar
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Quote by stefan1988
the guy said i needed to replace the bridge either the frets are too worn off or the bridge is messed up and i dont want to spend on knock off guitar for a bridge and some new refretting

my guitar has a smilar setup the ebony wood for the fretboard is like silk for the fingers is just very very smooth and the emgs are very good pickups

my only problem with it it doesnt have 24 frets and the cutaway to reach the higher frets doesnt seem that great

but is a very nice guitar

Ah, ok I gotcha.
I'm gonna give you the same answer I tell everyone.
Carvin!

Custom order everything to your liking including a strings-thru bridge or hard-tail, since you don't want a Floyd.
Maple tops, stainless steel frets, neck-thru, unfinished necks.....the options are vast and within your budget.

www.carvin.com
Australia!
:P
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Last edited by bucketmark at Nov 30, 2008,
Quote by howey
Australia!
:P

I'm sure Carvin ships worldwide, so what's the problem?
You'd only be limiting your options if you won't import.
^ sure is, its a .... 91 model i think but those things last for decades and a little wear and tear can't hurt.
How are the painted necks on the Edwards guitars?
Do they really slow you down?
Wheres all the Caparison love from UG :S.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
defo Caparison, though personally, I'd buy 5 washburns and a Cab :P
Gear:
Washburn X-40 Pro
Washburn X-40
Yamaha RGX 320s custom (with Duncans)
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Yamaha Pacfica 120V (lol)
Encore Strat pile of **** (mega lol)
Saving for new amp
I was really interested in some washburns but the only ones I can find in Aus are X10 series. I wanted a similar guitar to the the one that horlicks has. Anyone in Aus been able to track down some decent Washburns?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by no_thing101
the custom 24 is used i presume?

You can buy a new Custom 24 for about $2100-2200 if you hunt around and bargain:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PRS-Paul-Reed-Smith-Custom-24-Experience-w-OHC-NEW_W0QQitemZ270299817531QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item270299817531&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A16%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Once you get a 10 top then it gets a lot more expensive, say $2600-2800. An anniversary puts you around $3200.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
I'm in Australia mate and yeah its the emerald/black flame top .
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
Hey guys,
I finally have some money!

I've got about $2400 AUD and here's some of the options I've come across.

Caparison Horus *floyd* with bareknuckle pickup HS configuration - $1850
Caparison TAT *floyd* HSS - $2300
ESP Eclipse with seymour duncans HH- $1650
ESP Horizon with seymour duncans HH - $1050
ESP M *floyd* seymour duncans, 80's model HS - $1000
PRS Custom 24 HH - $2100
Custom made superstrat *floyd + tremelno* with dimarzios - $700
Gibson SG HH - $1100

Now I primarily play metal and was really after a guitar without a floyd but after looking around it's a little hard to find something really nice for metal without a floyd. I really just want something that I will be happy with for a long time because in the past I have taken shortcuts and ended up re selling. I would like to buy the Caparison Horus and the ESP Horizon but the extra $450 will take me about 2 months to get and buy then they'll both probably be gone. The M and Horus would be awesome to but they both have floyds and both have the same pickup configeration so I really don't know what to do there.

I can only try out the Eclipse, Horizon and custon made superstrat however I'm sure that I would LOVE the Caparison's so I'm willing to take the risk on them.

Out of those what would you consider to be the highest quality and the guitar that would satisfy me for years to come?

Add $500 to your budget, and get something custom built to your specs, that will sound, look and feel better than all those guitars put together
But, im biased!! I also noticed, you live just down the road!

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
save up another 500 and do what perry said!
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
I'm not willing to spend $2900 on a guitar at this point.
The guitar I buy will probably be getting ormsby pickups put in it though .
At the moment I'm tied between the Edwards LP, Caparison Horus, ESP Horizon and ESP M series.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
carvin sounds like a good idea to look into. if i were you i would get a prs though. i saw a singlecut in mannys music melbourne for 2500 bux. would have bought it but it had a wide fat neck carve. cant stand those necks.
okay dude, i got news for a metalhead, (providing that your into Gojira, if not check them out) i recently found out that Gojira used a Jackson SL2H Soloist for recording their new album (The Way Of All Flesh), i only know because im getting the same model type from the shop that they borrowed it off, but if your going for the all authentic sort of thing then thats the way to go
Page 1 of 2