lyrics. i find music flows better after i write something that actually means something to me. it's harder to write meaningful lyrics to go along with something already written.
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
i like instruments, but then the lyrics sometimes turn out really bland. either wat works decent if you know the ropes.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
my method tenmds to be whenever the muse hits me I'll scribble down some lyrics into some kind of format and leave them with no music. then when I jam with my band we develop the music for a song, then i go back into my catalogue of lyrics and pull things that I like, add to them, take from them, and change them around to fit the song. I think most people tend to write chords and come up with the melody at the same time and then develop it within the context of thier band.
Strat>Interstellar Overdriver>Little Big Muff>Supersonic Fuzz Gun>Crybaby Classic>Crybaby>VP Jr. (TU-2 tuner out)>Electric Mistress XO>RV-3>E-1005 w/ Footswitch>DD-6 (stereo out)>DL-4 w/ Expression Pedal>Stereo Tremolo>Headrush>Fender Deluxe 85(2x)
Everybody is different, and for most people it's a case by case basis. There's no 'right' way to do it. I've done both, but I usually do lyrics first then BS some chords under them (though I mainly write folk-style songs).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Personally, I write music, guiar riffs, i.e., and I'll randomly write down ideas I have for lyrics. I think it's easier to fit lyrics to a song, because you can easily adjst the tempo/length of the actual vocals (the way you sing it) to the music.
whatever comes first to me...you can adjust either to make them work
To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true.

i make the music first, i always loved the instrumental quality
but if i'm inspired, i write the lyrics first and then the music to make it flow
Hola.
Quote by freakfreitas
the muse seems to dictate song writing it seems to me

What do you mean?
Quote by klysandral
my method tenmds to be whenever the muse hits me I'll scribble down some lyrics into some kind of format and leave them with no music. then when I jam with my band we develop the music for a song, then i go back into my catalogue of lyrics and pull things that I like, add to them, take from them, and change them around to fit the song. I think most people tend to write chords and come up with the melody at the same time and then develop it within the context of thier band.

I do the same thing and it works out pretty good for me.
I always write music first then I let the lyrics come to me while Im playing
I usually write my songs by having the lyrics first, but usually I tap into a archive of riffs that I already have and just put riffs with the lyrics that they match best. Although lately I have been coming up with riffs to fit lyrics, but I'm not sure if it makes better songs yet.
We're only strays.
Both.

My way of songwriting is to change a few words and change a few notes in the melody so they both fit. I make sure there's a balance. This way I'm still getting what I envisioned lyrically and melodically, but they still fit.

BTW, don't wait for the muse to come. Force it to come to you. If you keep practising songwriting you can write whenever you want.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
Both.

My way of songwriting is to change a few words and change a few notes in the melody so they both fit. I make sure there's a balance. This way I'm still getting what I envisioned lyrically and melodically, but they still fit.

BTW, don't wait for the muse to come. Force it to come to you. If you keep practising songwriting you can write whenever you want.

Hi what do you mean by muse?
i start with a lot of coffee.

then everything flows in.

edit: ^something about waiting for a moose to come? /typo

i kid, i kid

wiki it
It can work either way,

lyrics can inspire music
and music can inspire lyrics
I find it works best where you can do both at the same time, you write a riff and think of lyrics that fit while writing it, or the other way round
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
depends, sometimes i run onto a good riff or set of chords...and go from there to lyrics

and i have like 5 word documents full of lyrics that i like...i've gotten bout 2.5 songs out of it
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
Lyrics first. There have been times for me where I had a phrase in my head and I could sing the words out into a made-up meoldy. I then found chords to back it up. It doesn't always work out great but it can benefit.
absolutely music first. no question about it.

ive tried the other way around and it is a real pain.