Okay, so I know next-to-nothing when it comes to amplifiers. And I'm looking to upgrade from my Behringer GMX210. I want something with good distortion so that I don't have to use my BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone. I've heard that valve amps, or tubes, whatever it is, are good, and I want to know what I should get.

Also, I want to learn what the difference is between valves, tubes, combos, cabinets, and solid states are. I'd look it up somewhere esle but I'd rather hear it from real guitarists.

I've also heard that valve amps have more power than solid states but I've read an article stating the opposite.

So please help me...
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
first off what's your budget?
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
I'd look it up somewhere esle but I'd rather hear it from real guitarists.

Ha ha.... here? Valves and tubes are the same thing, we call them tubes in the States. A combo is a head+speaker cab in one and a cab is well... a speaker box.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Valves and tubes are the same thing. Everything else (that too, actually) is explained in the Amp Sticky. Read it.
So what's your budget? Also, what kinds of music do you play? Are cleans important or just distortion?
Valve and tube - same thing.
Combo amp - The amp is combined with the speaker in one unit, hence the name 'combo' (i.e. compare to a head and cabinet)
Cabinet - Fully known as a speaker cabinet. Contains the speakers which actually produce the sound.
Solid State amp - They produce sound via transistors instead of relying on tubes. They're generally cheaper and more energy-efficient.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Read the stickies then come back.

People should be banned for these threads.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale

People should be banned for these threads.

Then those people would go to Harmony-Central and even more elitism would result from them.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Fine by me, it would let the good threads actually be seen.

Don't get me wrong, I love helping with which amp threads, but "budget, genre, gigging?" gets old, especially when all the stickies say to tell that in your post.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
pst...ignorant New Yorkers...
as said before, what kind of music do you play, and what's your budget?
I play hard rock, like avenged sevenfold kind-of music. I guess I would say under $1000 is my budget. And I'm going for something that's good for distortion, clean isn't important.
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
go for a 6505 combo or an engle thunder. a7x use bogners but that is way over your buged
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Tubes or valves, are about twice as loud as solid state amps. So a 50w tube sounds as loud as a 100w solid state amp. Generally they sound nicer too.
Last edited by GymboJones at Nov 30, 2008,