I dont know, I kind of play my bass wierd... Im right handed. And instead of using all or even three of my fingers to pluck, or whatever, I only use my middle fingers. I use all my fingers for the frets though. But idk, I still play as someone who plays with all or even 4 fingers.. I was just wondering if anyone else does the same?
When my friend just began playing bass, he would use only his middle finger because it was apparently his "longest finger". He's starting to get better though and tries to use his other fingers in his playing too.
Lead guitarist of a band which has no name

N
yeah mine is my longest finger too, but the only reason i se it is because my index finger always seems to twich, so i started only using my middle finger. Idk, i can play songs like FCPREMIX or EXCREATIONS by fall of troy easily, with just using my middle finger.
3 and 4 fingered picking technqiues are INCREDIBLY hard to master. Only a small amount of pros pluck with four fingers, most people only use two. I do, and i find it's enough.
Back when i was in a band, whenever my guitarist would pick up a bass for something he would always play with his thumb and index finger. Not slapping, just normal playing. I guess he was just used to playing finger style on his guitar.
Slap a bass, not a ho.
The only weird thing I can think of is that I play more up on the neck than the bridge, so much so that I actually rest my thumb on the neck sometimes.
But Scott Reeder does that too, so whatever.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by DemonicSloth
Back when i was in a band, whenever my guitarist would pick up a bass for something he would always play with his thumb and index finger. Not slapping, just normal playing. I guess he was just used to playing finger style on his guitar.

When I was buying my first bass, and if the riff I was playing was on the d or g strings, I would play like that, like fingerstyle on guitar. There are still times I will go to it, particularly when I am string skipping, but very rarely.

My odd thing I do I guess is that I love to slap the strings off the fretboard ala slapping, but with fingerstyle.

In riffs with pedal tones in particular, I like to use it to accent certain notes. I love the sound of it, and its one of my favorite things about playing bass!
I don't play "weird" usually. I play finger style usually, with index, middle, and ring. I slap with my thumb...usually.

On occasion, I just slap my bass strings like a bongo drum. I mute all of them except the one I'm playing, and just THWACK!

It's not good for my bass probably, but it adds aggression and makes my playing unique.
I regularly alternate between an index finger backstroke technique, kissing the bridge and a normal 2 finger walk.

I've improvised going between these techniques, it's much easier than turning knobs with your toes.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I play with 2-3 fingers and my thumb. If I'm staying on one string, I'll generally use my index and middle, but depending on where I'm moving I'll use my ring and thumb to either move over a string or mute. I also tend to put one finger per string when it's applicable...like if I'm doing a pentatonic scale from the E string, I'll use my thumb on the E, my index on the A, etc. and hammer on the in-between notes. none of these are strict rules though...I think I'd have to have a video of me noodling around to explain it completely
Nope, no sig here.
I've been playing with a Pick alot lately...

Wierd!!!

I also use the Guitar Fingerpicking style alot, especially with Palm Muting.

Most of the time its just the two fingers, How I learned, and I'm best with them.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
I use alot of guitar techniques on bass so get interesting results. Whenever my guitarist plays he can't quite handle playing just one note and starts playing chords or whenever he just plays one note he stills strums wildly, strange how much he struggles with the transition.
You just gotta train yourself to use at least that pointer finger too. When you're playing just be really really conscience of how you're plucking the strings, after a bit of practice it'll feel like second nature and you'll be glad you're using the two fingers instead of just one.
I hold the bass at a steep angle, so that my index and middle fingers can be relaxed and still the same distance from the strings. Though this totally ruins my chances of playing with my ring or little fingers, that's not so bad because my little finger is always sticking straight out for some reason. It looks kinda odd, but it's because of my nerve structure or something.

Quote by Embroglio
You just gotta train yourself to use at least that pointer finger too. When you're playing just be really really conscience of how you're plucking the strings, after a bit of practice it'll feel like second nature and you'll be glad you're using the two fingers instead of just one.

The middle finger isn't the pointer finger?!?
Last edited by K.I.A. at Nov 30, 2008,
Quote by thecop
free the ****er pear!

Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
if we're talking weird, i sometimes use my pickups as what i believe is a 29th and a 34th fret on my G string
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
I generally rest my thumb on the string above the string I am plucking instead of on the pickup, (I play a 5 so its not really a problem) it's something I thought i would eventually have to change until I saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLyV5JLvxM0

Stan Sargeant from the Tonight Show, Lefty, if you notice his bass is also strung upside down. interesting
I play bass with a slide... is that weird?
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe