My budget is $300 and I have an Agile AL-3000 with humbuckers. I'd like an amp that can decently pull off a lot of different sounds. My favorite bands are Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, and Red Hot Chili Peppers. I like classic rock, blues rock, hard rock, psychedelic, and grunge. My current amp is complete garbage. I was thinking about getting a tube amp like the Epiphone Valve Jr., but would I sacrifice experimenting with completely different tones? I've heard ss amps are not as great as tube amps, but I think I would like more versatility without delving into pedals too much... With this in mind, what about a Roland Microcube? Portability is an invaluable asset, but do these sound good for what I want? What about a more expensive ss amp, like a Cube 30, or possibly a combo amp for best versatility? I really want a Led Zeppelin II tone.
go for the cube, it's your best bet for the budget
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
I would suggest a Vox Valvetronix over a Cube, because the cleans are better.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I would go for a Vox Valvetronix. They're extremely versatile and have many different effects built in.

And to answer your question, yes, you would sacrifice versatility for tone if you bought a small valve amp.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
For your budget maybe something like a Crate V33 or V50 + an overdrive would be better, IMO, but if you want versatility you could get the Vox Valvetronix.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??