Page 1 of 2
i'm pretty new to guitar and suck at tuning by ear but I want to play with some cd's i have that are out of tune (prob due to age of origanal recordings or sped up/slowed down duinrg editing) anyway how can i tell how to tune my guitar to the tracks WITHOUT tuning by ear?
I have no idea.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by Jdwcomic
i'm pretty new to guitar and suck at tuning by ear but I want to play with some cd's i have that are out of tune (prob due to age of origanal recordings or sped up/slowed down duinrg editing) anyway how can i tell how to tune my guitar to the tracks WITHOUT tuning by ear?

What?
Quote by delicious
Help! I need somebody, HELP! Anybody!

aren't you a different person than ts? and you're acting like you're him...

let's play spot the multi account! i think i found one!
Quote by Rockford_rocks
HENDRIX WAS NOT MEANT TO GO WOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLY!

cd's cant lose their pitch, theyre digital. if theres a note that you know is an open note in one of the songs, base your tuning adventure off of that...
Be still my heart, I hear your back cracking...

...sounds like music to me
I'm grinding my teeth here.
Pear needs to be posted.
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
Quote by Jdwcomic

I lol'd
Quote by boboguitar

maybe he was quoting the beatles?
They're probably using another tuning, I don't think they're out of tune lol, just go buy a tuner and mess with tunings till you get the right one.

Most frequents one are, I think are Eadgbe and Dadgbe, going from the thickest to the thinnest string.
Quote by boboguitar

i believe he was doing a beatle's quote..and what does ts mean that the songs are out of tune by age of original recording..the music is proably detuned or something..it was on purpose i'm trying to say
delicious- its "Not just anybody, HELP!"

and on topic- wat

Cd's out of tune? Go to your local Guitar Center they'll hook you up with a CD tuner.

Edit: \/ \/ UH OH \/ \/
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
Last edited by BostonLP at Nov 29, 2008,
Ts, cd's can't lose tuning..idk where you got that idea from but it isn't a good'en. Just buy a tuner and you'll be set.

goddamn it i wanna post the pear...

this will have to suffice
(Invalid img)
Quote by shreder666
They're probably using another tuning, I don't think they're out of tune lol, just go buy a tuner and mess with tunings till you get the right one.

Most frequents one are, I think are Eadgbe and Dadgbe, going from the thickest to the thinnest string.

Unrelated, but same avatar.
I suppose I will change.
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
...dude.

1) Post this in Guitar & Bass basics. And while you're there, read "the only tuning thread" sticky.

2) They aren't "out of tune". They're in a different tuning then you are. Read the sticky mentioned in #1

3) On most tabs, at the left hand side, the tuning is completely laid out for you. Instead of:
e
b
g
d
a
E
It'll say somthing like:
d
a
f
c
g
C
Or w/e depending on the tuning.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
You know I need someone,HELP!
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by shreder666

no there not in a diffrent tuning the CD's are highway to hell and high voltage (both AC/DC) and they are tuned between standard and 1/2 step down
Quote by Jdwcomic

What?
I sued Delta Airlines, 'cause they sold me a ticket to New Jersey, I went there, and it SUCKED.
Quote by NewsoftheWorld
You know I need someone,HELP!

Not just anyone, HELP!
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by Jdwcomic
no there not in a diffrent tuning the CD's are highway to hell and high voltage (both AC/DC) and they are tuned between standard and 1/2 step down

1/2 step down is a different tuning. You're saying somthing rediculious when you say "the CDs are out of tune". Thus all the jokes.

If you want to play the full gamiut, just tune down 1/2 step and learn to transpose notes.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by Garou1911
Not just anyone, HELP!

You got it wrong,sir!

After "You know I need someone,HELP!",it's "When I was younger so much younger than today,I never needed anybodys help in any way....".
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by dethead666
really did you really just do that

Mhmhmhmhmhmhmhmhmyesss.
I sued Delta Airlines, 'cause they sold me a ticket to New Jersey, I went there, and it SUCKED.
Quote by Garou1911
1/2 step down is a different tuning. You're saying somthing rediculious when you say "the CDs are out of tune". Thus all the jokes.

If you want to play the full gamiut, just tune down 1/2 step and learn to transpose notes.

i kno what 1/2 step down what im saying is it's BETWEEN 1/2 step and standard
also, it occurred to me that the bands may not be tuning to A440.
Quote by Shard Prime
Mhmhmhmhmhmhmhmhmyesss.

well i believe that was the most awesome alteration to a normal quote.Unfortunataly i don't know how to do the cheer sign but uh cheers
Your talking about AC/DC i assume? Ang and Mal would have just brought their guitars into the studio, strummed out a chord, and tuned to whoever sounded closest to being in tune. Thats why they are in between standard and Eb. Either that, or Bon sang a note and they tuned to him.

Just tune your D or A to theirs.
Quote by NewsoftheWorld
You got it wrong,sir!

After "You know I need someone,HELP!",it's "When I was younger so much younger than today,I never needed anybodys help in any way....".

But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured.
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
Quote by Tubyboulin
Your talking about AC/DC i assume? Ang and Mal would have just brought their guitars into the studio, strummed out a chord, and tuned to whoever sounded closest to being in tune. Thats why they are in between standard and Eb. Either that, or Bon sang a note and they tuned to him.

Just tune your D or A to theirs.

the prob is i suck at tuning by ear
edit: never mind. i fail. i get it now. just play it in normal the songs normal tuning, and tune the strings up or down slightly to get the sound you want.

i guess?

doubledit: ^^^^ OH NO HE DIDN'T ^^^^ delete the fruit now, or suffer the wrath of the ban-hammer
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
Last edited by KGB_INC at Nov 29, 2008,
Quote by Jdwcomic
the prob is i suck at tuning by ear

do you know how to play the song your after?
the way i tune is by playing a rift from a song..for me its the beginning of mother by danzig and crazy train by ozzy i just play it until it sounds like the rift off the song.

Quote by KGB_INC
edit: never mind. i fail. i get it now. just play it in normal the songs normal tuning, and tune the strings up or down slightly to get the sound you want.

i guess?

yeah pretty much right
Last edited by dethead666 at Nov 29, 2008,
Quote by Jdwcomic
i kno what 1/2 step down what im saying is it's BETWEEN 1/2 step and standard

How are you sure? They might be bending a note or playing in a scale that makes it sound that way. If you're certain that this is the case (though it sounds silly to me), why not just tune your guitar that way?

-edit-
Quote by NewsoftheWorld

You got it wrong,sir!

My bad. Haven't heard that song in ages
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by dethead666
do you know how to play the song your after?
the way i tune is by playing a rift from a song..for me its the beginning of mother by danzig and crazy train by ozzy i just play it until it sounds like the rift off the song.

yeah pretty much right

lulz...so i herd u liek teh geetar riftz?!?!

this is a rift. As you can well see, it hasn't anything, remotely, to do with guitar.
Quote by Altoidwithmelon
lulz...so i herd u liek teh geetar riftz?!?!

this is a rift. As you can well see, it hasn't anything, remotely, to do with guitar.

you are kidding i hope rifts are also parts or licks of a song
well.. try to find the key in what the song is written...

then get a tuner.. and fine tune the note to the frequency of the key of the song xD

then after tuning your tuner.. tune your guitar xD
Quote by dethead666
you are kidding i hope rifts are also parts or licks of a song

If memory serves me correctly it is known as a RIFF.
Page 1 of 2