i was watching a michael angelo batio dvd and he said that he hold his pick at any angle is that a good method
Did he mean that he dosen't worry about how his pick is directed?
Quote by Shattuck
I need some music that makes you envision a dark room illuminated by only candles and perhaps a creepy middle aged man in a bathrobe.

Quote by Skullbolt
Rape: Is it in you?
yeh, your pick runs smoother down the strings. its all about physics... I don't know technical physics crap, but think about if your holding your hand out a car window. if its flat against the wind it has a lot of resistance, if you put your hand at an angle you feel no push and your hand moves freely.

long story short, guitar strings are like wind...?
Quote by Shattuck
I need some music that makes you envision a dark room illuminated by only candles and perhaps a creepy middle aged man in a bathrobe.

Quote by Skullbolt
Rape: Is it in you?
Develop your own way of holding your pick, that's what I did. And it works out just fine. Don't copy that shred-head MAB, or maybe you could modify his technique in your own way lol
He's cool..but his playing is very very linear, very scalar type thing.
Quote by Yngwie777
Develop your own way of holding your pick, that's what I did. And it works out just fine. Don't copy that shred-head MAB, or maybe you could modify his technique in your own way lol
He's cool..but his playing is very very linear, very scalar type thing.

That has nothing to do with the way of holding the pick.

Holding the pick angled, (So it isn't exactly perpendicular to the strings) is fine, and provides less resistance so it makes picking a little easier, especially at higher speeds.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
I personally don't think it matters how you hold your pick. Some guys hold the pick so that the edge of the pick slices the strings, like Jimmy Herring, and have no problems playing fast. Guys like Paul Gilbert angle the pick downwards and some just tend to keep the pick parallel to the strings, like Yngwie. All three of these guys can burn with the best of them. Play what feels comfortable to you.
I find angling the pick helps, if i try and play fast parallel to the strings it's pretty bad ! Try different things, and whatever is most comfortable just don't pick like Friedman because its retarded ! :p
Quote by Zanon
I find angling the pick helps, if i try and play fast parallel to the strings it's pretty bad ! Try different things, and whatever is most comfortable just don't pick like Friedman because its retarded ! :p

Ah yes, Marty Friedman's picking technique. Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, but he doesn't mute the strings and live this sounds so sloppy, especially when playing with distortion. He said once in one of his videos that he didn't like the sound of muted strings when playing....... I actually remember seeing a vid on youtube of a guy playing a Friedman tune and he was picking the same way.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
That has nothing to do with the way of holding the pick.

Holding the pick angled, (So it isn't exactly perpendicular to the strings) is fine, and provides less resistance so it makes picking a little easier, especially at higher speeds.

I didn't mean the way he holds his pick is linear, I meant the way he plays is very linear/scalular pure shred.
Quote by Yngwie777
I didn't mean the way he holds his pick is linear, I meant the way he plays is very linear/scalular pure shred.

The word is scalar and that is not how his music is.

I don't want to hijack the thread and turn it into an MAB discussion, but I'm tired of people seeing the video of Speed Kills or Speed Lives or something and judging his music on those.

Those videos are for instructional videos. They are designed solely to improve technique. MAB is actually one of the best, most interesting and musical shredders out there.

/offtopic
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Ive seen MAB vids and he is an amazing player but his technique is no good for me. I dont like his anchoring and and pick attack that he describes.

The best thing to take from MAB is his practice ethic and his idea (im sure hes not the first) of economy of motion. This means making the smallest possible movements with both hands like dont lift your fingers far off the fretboard and dont pick to far up and down while alt picking.

Id go with whatever picking style you are comfortable with. He has been playing like that for 20+ years for many hours a day. I dont think thats the ideal picking hand technique at all in fact far from it , but he feels comfortable with it as thats how he taught himself. I really wouldnt advise trying to emulate his picking technique.
^+1 to the economy of motion idea.

If you want to learn to shred, TS, you're going to have to do what provides you with the best economy of motion. Test out a few different grips, maybe, but see what allows you to make the most precise and quick movements. Make sure you focus on economy of motion in the left hand as well or you'll just sound sloppy with one hand ahead of the other.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
Ive seen MAB vids and he is an amazing player but his technique is no good for me. I dont like his anchoring and and pick attack that he describes.

The best thing to take from MAB is his practice ethic and his idea (im sure hes not the first) of economy of motion. This means making the smallest possible movements with both hands like dont lift your fingers far off the fretboard and dont pick to far up and down while alt picking.

Id go with whatever picking style you are comfortable with. He has been playing like that for 20+ years for many hours a day. I dont think thats the ideal picking hand technique at all in fact far from it , but he feels comfortable with it as thats how he taught himself. I really wouldnt advise trying to emulate his picking technique.

And I agree with you on that. MAB does state in the Speed Kills video, though, that his technique is unorthodox. He trained both of his hands to have the same picking technique since he plays ambidextrously.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I don't like having the pick at an angle always. You get a different sound from it.

When in an angle, the picking sound, sounds more like a scrape. When you hold the pick parallel, the note comes out clearer.

People don't pay attention to these things anymore, cause they are to focused of getting fast and z0mg shredzors or w/e, instead of getting fast with a good timbre.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
The word is scalar and that is not how his music is.

I don't want to hijack the thread and turn it into an MAB discussion, but I'm tired of people seeing the video of Speed Kills or Speed Lives or something and judging his music on those.

Those videos are for instructional videos. They are designed solely to improve technique. MAB is actually one of the best, most interesting and musical shredders out there.

/offtopic

Yeah, just take a look at the musical mastery of Nitro's 'Freight Train Coming'.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I don't like having the pick at an angle always. You get a different sound from it.

When in an angle, the picking sound, sounds more like a scrape. When you hold the pick parallel, the note comes out clearer.

People don't pay attention to these things anymore, cause they are to focused of getting fast and z0mg shredzors or w/e, instead of getting fast with a good timbre.

i think it depends on the pick and how much of an angle you put on. too much of one and you will get some unwanted noise. but if you get a slight angle going, it creates a nice warm, smooth tone i find. i think thinner picks tend to have more noise than thicker ones. but yea having the pick flat makes it more defined and you can usually play louder.

so the key is really to know how to change pick angle to change the tone. but back on topic, angling the pick will help with playing quickly accross strings. but try not to have too much of an angle so you can try and maintain clarity of the note. note definition with speed if what really makes someone sound good.
Quote by BrockTandem
Yeah, just take a look at the musical mastery of Nitro's 'Freight Train Coming'.

its hard to count nitros work as what MAB is really into. Nitro's thing was that they were the highest frequency band ever, not the most musically amazing, hence high pitched lyrics and fast playing.

if you want musical mastery i think that the song rainforest is a pretty good example.

(off topic but i still felt the need to make the facts clear)

and regrading pick angle, it does change the sound quite a bit. picking perpendicular to the strings can give a really harsh scraping sound (that might just be on my setup though). now that i think about it, it would probably be quite difficult to pick hard enough to accentuate a note if you are holding the pick at too much of an angle (i.e. perpendicular).
Last edited by SpeedLives at Dec 2, 2008,
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
i think it depends on the pick and how much of an angle you put on. too much of one and you will get some unwanted noise. but if you get a slight angle going, it creates a nice warm, smooth tone i find. i think thinner picks tend to have more noise than thicker ones. but yea having the pick flat makes it more defined and you can usually play louder.

so the key is really to know how to change pick angle to change the tone. but back on topic, angling the pick will help with playing quickly accross strings. but try not to have too much of an angle so you can try and maintain clarity of the note. note definition with speed if what really makes someone sound good.

Right on. Like u said it also depends on pick. You must be aware of it though, and it can make a big difference, especially in fast runs, which will sound less sloppy soundwise.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??