Page 1 of 4
How many times have you bought something because your idol uses it or because everyone here on UG says its awesome but them when you buy it it doesn't help you at all. Ex: buying picks because Tom Delonge uses them (I did) or buying an OD pedal to boost a line6 spider. If I had money back when I was a uber noob I would have gotten gypped on a lot of useless gear. In fact I went through an MG, a 75w spider, then finally a flextone, and I thank UG for this because if it wasn't for you guys, I would have been stuck with a 75w spider.

Anyways the point of this thread is that all beginners (noobs) who are thinking of buying an expensive pedal, or pickup or doing a speaker swap should check on this site, by using the SEARCHBAR first then creating a thread if needed and actually listen to what people have to say. Don't ask about a MG halfstack and then buy one just because it says marshall even though everyone said not to get it.

EDIT:

Well I tip my hat off to those who didn't buy any "idol" gear, and to all the noobz reading this thread, take note of the people who did buy something because an artist and now they regret it or don't use it and don't buy something just because someone famous uses or endorses it.

DON'T GET SUCKED IN BY THE MAJOR COMPANIES WHO PAY PEOPLE TO ENDORSE ****TY GEAR!

----you have been warned---
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
Last edited by mrxtreme_4 at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by PollyWntsCrack
never so far.

Well you sir are certainly one lucky duck.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
If I have an artist whose tone ill take his gear as a starting point and change it.

For example my artist uses a 25.5" Basswood stoptail guitar with 2 seymour duncan pickups and jumbo frets.

I like the guitar but I perfer a mahogony guitar and differant pickups so ill change them.

Get what im sayin?
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Never yet, but then my gear list is a bit short right now. I don't know right off hand what gear most of my idols use anyway, so in a few years when I have a decent rig I could be mimicking half of somebody's rig and never know it XD. I do know a bunch of them use PRS guitars and almost all of them use mahogany or alder guitars, which I did end up following them in (I have a PRS and my favorite body woods are mahogany and alder). I think walnut sounds sexiest though
Last edited by Nightfyre at Nov 29, 2008,
I have a Jem.

'Nuff said...

im such a b!tch
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
i bought a classic 50 because everyone here said it wo8uld be perfect for me and my style. i bought one, and it didn't fit my style. still a good amp, just not for me.
Whammy pedal. That's pretty much it.

I'm going to buy a killbutton soon too.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by kylendm
I have a Jem.

'Nuff said...

im such a b!tch

But Jem's are freekin amazing! (except for the pickups...... sorry I hate Evo's)
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
I got a DS-1 just cause Kurt Cobain used it. Three days later, I cut it in half with a chainsaw. Then I realised Kurt's DS-1 was modded.

I also got a Digitech Whammy just to be like Tom Morello, but I actually use that even today.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I like it and i got it for a good price but still lol i was like in love with steve...
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Do I buy stuff my idols use? Yes. Do I buy it purely for that? No, I buy what sounds good to my ear. Is that a yes or a no for this topic? Because I'm not sure myself.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Probably be the DiMarzio Steve's Special pickup because John Petrucci once uses it.
I got a Dunlop Rotovibe cause Zakk used one. I'm probably gonna sell it for something like a Fultone Deja Vibe of some sort.
dean razorback, learned my lesson
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Not really, no.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
N0
Nope, even though I have a sig guitar. I'd never heard of Jimmie Vaughan before I bought it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
My pedal board is almost a verbatim copy of Jeff Tweedy's. Its a pretty versatile board; it gets me through Wilco songs, pop, pop punk, garage band, and post-rock gigs.
slash got me into the mockingbird like 8 years ago...ended up buyin a lighter on the beaches of LA (im from canada, i was far from home) that was shaped like a mockingbird, called it fate, and now i have 2 mockingbirds

<<awaiting the onslaught of people bashing the mockingbird....they actually arent that bad if you like the shape>>
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
i actually bought my tremonti se before getting into tremonti. it just seemed like a great guitar for me at the time, and i still love it. other than that, i got a boss ph-2 cause mike einziger uses one (or two :p. i dont use it all the time, but its still a good pedal and works well for me.

basicly, yes i have bought stuff because a famous person used it. however, i dont think ive bought anything i regret.
I bought an ibanez rg because i saw Vai useing one and liketd the floyd style trem and wanted to be EVH so yeah... i wanna sell it now... good guitar just not for me...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is bunny. Copy him into your signature to help him acheive world dominance.
i bought a strat because of stevie ray vaughan.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Well you can see by my avatar that I am a COB fan, and I have an LTD Alexi 600. I actually bought it because I got it $400 dollars off, and it has all the things I wanted in a guitar (OFR, maple neck through construction, SD blackout, Grover tuners, ebony fretboard).

Still, I might not have considered a signature guitar if it weren't Alexi's. The shape and paint job make it eye-catching too.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
I bought my Gibson SG because one of my favorite musicians plays it (I won't say which because you'll laugh hysterically) but I think it's the best decision I've ever made, I love the thing to death.
I have the 1959RR...

/
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
gotta KKV coz it was mega cheap (cheaper then wholesale price, hence cheaper then what the store paid cheap), got same strings as my favourite players while i was experimenting with different gauges.
Quote by whiteraven119
I bought my Gibson SG because one of my favorite musicians plays it (I won't say which because you'll laugh hysterically) but I think it's the best decision I've ever made, I love the thing to death.

Its either Angus Young or that kid from Jonas Brothers.

Anyway ya I've done that before, I bought my Gibson Explorer because James Hetfield uses it but I love it and sure as hell don't regret it. So Whiteraven119, you're not the only one who bought a Gibson because of their favorite musicians
I Bought my js100 because i loved the feel and sound of it. then i went and bought a satriani album cause i'd only ever heard his name once or twice...

So... no I haven't
Well i havent done anything like that yet, but one of my friends bought a Digitech whammy pedel and a korg kaoss 2 because matt bellemy has one (even worse he had the touch pad of the kaoss 2 routed into his guitar)
i ve bought stuff and then realized its used by certain artists...and its definetly a plus point for me but not that i d go out and buy something cause someone has it.
I don't think i've ever done this directly, if i ever have it's been because i liked that guitarist's tone and wanted to get a similar tone for myself. Recently i've even been buying some gear that is absolutely useless for getting to sound like the kind of guitarists i listen to (for example, fender jazzmaster - i don't think i listen to anyone who is well known for their use of the jazzmaster), to try to force me to find my own voice rather than basing my tone off someone elses.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Nope, never bought a guitar just 'cause of the artist, even though I have 2 signature guitars!

Kramer had the spec. I wanted and the Razorback just feels nice!

Don't see the point in buying signature gear just because the artist uses it... Unless its something special...
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Take a look at my gear and then guess

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
im getting a morley power/volume wah because its awesome, not just because morley endorse steve vai

so no i havent

(i did get a ke3 then realised marty friedman used one which is a plus)
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Never, I could be driving a porsche for the cost of gilmours gear. I'd rather have a porsche.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Page 1 of 4