OK, so recently I have met up with an old friend that goes to my high school, and I found out that he plays guitar. He, for the most part, plays rythem, really thrashy riffs, like early Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and I play more progressive leads. Now he is SOOOOOOOOO hellbent on having like this Skayer like vocal style that he can "pull off", he sung a bit (he covered black magic by Slayer, its on youtube, its the only one). Now he can hit REALLY high notes (really dudes, its sick), and for some odd reson that impressed me, and I said he could also sing for the band. Thinking about it now though, he really cant sing, good screams, but thats it, i want more clean vocals, woth some screams thrown in there for a little variety. Now he is supper into singing for the band, and i dont know hoe to tell him that it isnt a good idea.

Also, the only music that he likes is thrash metal, nuthing else, thrash thrash thrash thrash thrash, thats it. And its fusterating because iys really one dimentional (sorry for spelling), everything that he hears that isnt thrash is "gay" (also, how is music "gay"?).

So any advice would be good, Thanks.
2 vocalists?
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Get a new band member -_-

Edit: And i was thinking of more than one vocalist too... Linkin Park does it
Hey good idea, kinda like alexisonfire, clean and screamer, but like he cant acually sing, only really high screams, and he can sing deth metal if he downs a 6 pack of Docter Pepper (burps), but he is stuborn on the whole clean thing. I like vocalists like Rody Walker from Protest the Hero, good clean, good scream, and even good growls (and i dont even like that stuff). I need to convince him to experiment with styles.
Um, I would have to agree with getting a new band member.
Someone who is not open to other ideas on music will not exactly be the greatest musician/guitarist at all. I know a lot of guys around here at my school that are like that, Thrash thrash thrash, I don't mind it, I used to listen to it, but when I started listening to many other genres, and learned a bit of music theory, my mind was just completely opened , and I get so many new ideas for music.
But if he is the only guy you got/know, I would try to persuade him to listen to other stuff, only thing I can tell ya there man.
In my 2.something yrs(?+) of playing guitar I have learned a lot, you must have an open mind to music if you are to succeed as a musician and guitarist in life.
Hope this bit of advice was useful to ya man

P.S. : Progressive rules, I am a student of Ron Jarzombek(guitarist/musician) of Blotted Science/Spastic Ink/Watchtower.
Quote by Yngwie777
Um, I would have to agree with getting a new band member.
Someone who is not open to other ideas on music will not exactly be the greatest musician/guitarist at all. I know a lot of guys around here at my school that are like that, Thrash thrash thrash, I don't mind it, I used to listen to it, but when I started listening to many other genres, and learned a bit of music theory, my mind was just completely opened , and I get so many new ideas for music.
But if he is the only guy you got/know, I would try to persuade him to listen to other stuff, only thing I can tell ya there man.
In my 2.something yrs(?+) of playing guitar I have learned a lot, you must have an open mind to music if you are to succeed as a musician and guitarist in life.
Hope this bit of advice was useful to ya man

P.S. : Progressive rules, I am a student of Ron Jarzombek(guitarist/musician) of Blotted Science/Spastic Ink/Watchtower.

He is the only person I got, everytime I show him somthing that isnt thrash, its "gay", it wouldent be so bad if he would agree to getting a more melodic (not shure if thats the properuse of the word, sorry if its not) singer. hes hell bent on having it like 300 bpm thrash songs (and yes, he did say he wanted 300 bpm).
Melodic is the right term since i think thrash doesn't have much melody.

Sounds like a new band member who is more "Open minded" and "Less self centered" and "Looking towards expanding the bands horizons" and "A little less gay" would work.

I dont have anything against thrash, but someone who is really well, narrow minded in it, is kinda dull to me. I mean i have a friend who is all into metal and stuff, but we still teach each other little things. I teach him some chords from something by Terra Naiomi, and he showed me some System of a Down stuff. We are still open minded about new things, even if its not what we are used to.
Tell him you'll keep the screams but we need to get another singer to sing clean. If he just wants to play Thrash I guarantee he probably doesn't know anything past generic chords/powerchords and the numbers (not notes) on the guitar. I'd honestly kick his ass out until he gains a respect for music.
he cant hit the high notes, but he's trying.

Get a new singer. Just say he's a really good guitarist and tell him to concentrate on that (which should negate any offense taken for being booted off vocals), if he's your friend. Of not, chuck him.

(editted for typos)
Quote by Beefmo
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mE9pqwaahYs

That wouldnt be the video would it?

Cos it sounds awful. Especially those highs.

Dude, tell him to stick with guitar and get a proper vocalist.

Yup, thats it, and the high screams sound alot beter in real life, its muffled on the video.
That sounds horrible.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Yeah, listening to a little of the video... and I must say... you might want to just get a new band member.
What kind of music will your band play anyways? Because now that I think about it, if you guys are only going to be playing what he plays then it doesn't matter. If you are a real band with real musical talent then you need to tell more "Moar or GTFO"
Quote by Anonymous9001
Yeah, listening to a little of the video... and I must say... you might want to just get a new band member.
What kind of music will your band play anyways? Because now that I think about it, if you guys are only going to be playing what he plays then it doesn't matter. If you are a real band with real musical talent then you need to tell more "Moar or GTFO"

t agee, im listening to it and im sending it to my drummer.
Its pretty funny when he goes high.
Id get rid of him.
Yeah, those high pitch screams gave me a headache. It just all around sounds bad.
If you want him not to sing for you, show him these posts. Complete strangers give
the best advice when it comes to how good someone can sing.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Quote by xEpidemicx
Yeah, those high pitch screams gave me a headache. It just all around sounds bad.
If you want him not to sing for you, show him these posts. Complete strangers give
the best advice when it comes to how good someone can sing.

Very true,
On the other hand... Record a practice session for us and we will tell you what we think if he is saying that we "Dont know the real thing"
K guys, thanks for the advice, next time we jam, ill have to show him this, hopefully hes good about it, if not, im back to square one
Tell him he sings horibly. But say it in a nice way. And if he still wants to sing, kick him out. If he refuses to play anything different than trash, while everybody else wants something else, tell him gutarists practiacaly grow on trees. If he still refuses, kick him out and get a new guitarist. But for the love of good dont let him do the vocals.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
he should do back vocals and screams, try telling him that you`d preffer a cleaner voice for leads
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400