I want to know everything about the floyd rose tremolo. Pros? Cons? Tuning and alternate tuning? changing strings? any info will be apreciated.
Three Guitars >> Eleven Pedals >> Two Amps
Bandcamp (emo/indie/punk)

Quote by primusfan
> from louisville
> likes ween
> new favorite poster
Licensed floyds = sh*t ass

Original Floyd Rose (made by Schaller in germany) = A+

..... they are great, at 1st it will take u about 40 minutes to change strings, but after you get the hang of it, its sooo easy.

and its not that its hard to change strings, its just more time consuming thats all..

but well worth it..

www.musicyo.com

check out the Kramers and USA section, they all have Original Floyd Roses on them (OFR's).

Tuning on these is like this....

Change strings, tune up.

3 weeks later, changes strings, tune up.

thats all u need to tune these aye.

best of luck mate.
i well kinda hate and love those FR trems, because you can do all those wild things with them, but string changin and tuning is pretty annoying. i have a guitar with a FR and it's pretty annoying(well guitar is dean vendetta 1.FR, so the quality sucks)i't stays in tune , but it's just so annoying to change strings and tune it sometimes
I don't understand how you guys can have problems with string changing. Just string it backwards, leave the ball ends at the tuners and cut your string just past the fine tuners. Its more simple and quick.
If you only have 1 guitar and its got a Floyd thats set up to float and you change tunings a lot...well you just shot yourself in the foot
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
How do you tune with Floyd Rose equipped guitars? Do you have to like completely replace the strings to do it? That sounds a bit stupid, I wanted to get a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 with a Floyd Rose.
This is all you need to know about Floyd's and other locking type tremelos...

THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I totally agree that they suck, you didn't even need to give any reasons why to persuade me...

That being said, if you aren't gonna use one, I would advise against getting one. No point going through hell to change tunings if you dont get anything out of it . If you do get one, don't skimp on it. Just look around for some of the horror stories
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
I have a FR on my Ibanez RG3700. It's not the original FR but it's awesome (at least for me) because I play stuff by Vai and Satriani and this is like a necessity.

If you're not big into the virtuoso's and playing there music don't do it, once you get a hang of how to re-string a floyd rose and keep it in tune and crap it will take you 10 minutes.
Quote by sticktrix1
Most Licensed floyds = sh*t ass

Original Floyd Rose and Schaller licensed Floyd Rose (made by Schaller in germany) = A+
Ibanez Edge, Lo-Pro Edge, Edge Pro, Gotoh Floyd Rose=A+

..... they are great, at 1st it will take u about 40 minutes to change strings, but after you get the hang of it, its sooo easy.

and its not that its hard to change strings, its just more time consuming thats all..

but well worth it..

best of luck mate.

Fixed.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
it takes a long time to re-string and tune, thats fact, but i think they're worth it, you hardly have to tune them at all once done at a string change

liscensec ones aren't terrible on the whole, some are horrendous, but a few a quite good, obvs an OFR is much better and worth the money
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Quote by bikerboyjosh
it takes a long time to re-string and tune, thats fact, but i think they're worth it, you hardly have to tune them at all once done at a string change

liscensec ones aren't terrible on the whole, some are horrendous, but a few a quite good, obvs an OFR is much better and worth the money

Not necessarily. Some people (including John Suhr) say the Gotoh FR is actually better quality (and therefore so are the Edge/Lo-Pro/Edge Pro).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by seth's daddy
This is all you need to know about Floyd's and other locking type tremelos...

THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Genius answer man, brilliant. You're apply to Harvard I hope. You're going places!

Quote by reincarnator
I totally agree that they suck, you didn't even need to give any reasons why to persuade me...

That being said, if you aren't gonna use one, I would advise against getting one. No point going through hell to change tunings if you dont get anything out of it . If you do get one, don't skimp on it. Just look around for some of the horror stories

Another top of the line UG response. Why didn't I think of this before, just brilliant. I could never figure out why my $150,000 Porsche is just sitting in the garage gathering dust!

So if i get a guitar with one i should prolly keep it in standard tunning all the time,

and also, would it still work if i left the locking nut at the headstock undone?

Quote by primusfan
> from louisville
> likes ween
> new favorite poster
Quote by DSOTM80
Genius answer man, brilliant. You're apply to Harvard I hope. You're going places!

Another top of the line UG response. Why didn't I think of this before, just brilliant. I could never figure out why my $150,000 Porsche is just sitting in the garage gathering dust!

Bro do you really have a porsche? If so then you rock. I really love porsche.
Quote by hot4teacher

please stay on topic

Quote by primusfan
> from louisville
> likes ween
> new favorite poster
Quote by ShameofaNation
So if i get a guitar with one i should prolly keep it in standard tunning all the time,

and also, would it still work if i left the locking nut at the headstock undone?

You can keep it in any tuning you desire, just that if its setup to float it takes a while to readjust everything. But a product called Tremel-no makes things a whole lot easier. Also you can keep the nut unlock but that defeats the purpose of it.
^ +1

Quote by oneblackened
Fixed.

+1

Quote by oneblackened
Not necessarily. Some people (including John Suhr) say the Gotoh FR is actually better quality (and therefore so are the Edge/Lo-Pro/Edge Pro).

+1, the gotoh one is badass.

basically, as has already been said, if you're going to use it a lot and do a lot of whammy tricks, a (good) floyd is awesome.

if you don't use a trem much, or change tunings a lot, it can be a lot of hassle for nothing.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by hot4teacher

sar·casm (särkzm)
n.
1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule
i have a jackson dk2m with a jackson licensed floyd. it only takes me like 7 minutes to restring it, but im betting im doing something wrong that will bite me in the butt later, but as of now it works perfectly!
I am a Stephenist