I have just recently begun to mess around with my tone after having always played with everything flat. I've been playing for around a year now and I have to say that I absolutely love the tone of fretless basses. Unfortunately for me I play left-handed and finding a fretless bass that is left-handed would be an odyssey not to mention that it would also be quite expensive. I play an Ibanez GSR200 bass through a Hartke 15 watt amplifier and I would like some help in achieving a tone that at least comes somewhat close to resembling the tone of a fretless bass guitar. I am currently using roundwound strings but I will be buying flatwound strings soon in order to further my progress in achieving this tone. Any help in achieving this tone will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.
I realized I was god when I prayed and saw that I was talking to myself.
you can buy a normal lefty bass and just defret it?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Sonsie has your best solution
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
On a fretted bass?
Impossible. I tried for around two hours. It's just not gonna happen if there are frets on the neck.
Your best bet is to just defret a normal lefty or learn how to play a righty.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
i got it i think. i put the tone all the way down and gain all the way up ( i have 15 watt amp) and i think i got it. it sounded nice and seamless
THOU SHALL NOT PASS!

My gear is not worth mentioning.
You can sand the frets down to get a fretless tone and keep the original punch.
you could use a right handed fretless and string it backwards
Quote by thestonedone
You see this is why it's wrong to rape your guitar... in public.

Quote by mroctoberfest
I want to name an invention the Insta-gasm 3000. I feel very strongly about this.

Gear Setup:
Jackson Rhoads
Digitech Grunge
Fender FM 212R
Quote by sonsie
you can buy a normal lefty bass and just defret it?

I truly appreciate your effort to help but de-fretting my bass isn't a very viable option as it could damage my bass and I'm not sure how to do it not to mention that economically I'm not in the best situation to buy a new bass.
Read my thread in the Building and Customizing thread. I'd never even taken a scratch plate off a bass before, and i've made a working fretless bass. I swear, if I can do it ANYONE can.
Quote by VengeanceIsMine
I truly appreciate your effort to help but de-fretting my bass isn't a very viable option as it could damage my bass and I'm not sure how to do it not to mention that economically I'm not in the best situation to buy a new bass.

It cost me £12 to do it. I cannot stress this enough to you, it's very simple. I got an article off this website from a google search, went to the hardware store and within 20 minutes had a fretless bass. Well, I had a 3 hour wait for it to dry and a 15 minute sand down afterwards.
I did without any immediate directions.

then redid it later. it isn't hard. just time consuming.

but, a guitar slide can mimic the slides on a fretless ok. just know, it's much harder to do and doesn't sound half as good.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Which bass did you de-fret Humanity?
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
Which bass did you de-fret Humanity?

my Ibanez.

I also painted a cool design, I should get it up soon.

when I get this pickguard worked.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

I'm actually thinking about de-fretting my schecter.
Hey Vengeance, why don't we both do it at the same time. That way if you or I encounter any problems we can ask someone actually going through the de-fretting project how to fix it?
I've never done it before either so it'll be a new experience for both of us!
hmm...don't take that out of context.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
I'm actually thinking about de-fretting my schecter.
Hey Vengeance, why don't we both do it at the same time. That way if you or I encounter any problems we can ask someone actually going through the de-fretting project how to fix it?
hmm...don't take that out of context.

your Schecter? ugh. that would be way to bassy for me. lol.

but a fine plan.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

You're probably right humanity, I'll just buy and de-fret a squier VM 70's Jazz bass.
A friend of mine has a fretless VM and it sounds amazing.
Either way TS, I'll still be de-fretting something if you don't want to do it alone.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
There's no way you'll get a FL tone from that, and flats won't help. The tone of a fretless does not come from its strings.
Nope, no sig here.
1. Buy right handed fretless bass.
2. Make a left handed nut.
3. String it upside down.
4. Adjust saddles and intonation.
5. Play left handed.
6. ?????
7. Profit.
Quote by Victory2134
You're probably right humanity, I'll just buy and de-fret a squier VM 70's Jazz bass.
Either way TS, I'll still be de-fretting something if you don't want to do it alone.

Dont they have maple fretboards though?
I wouldve thought that maple would be too soft to use as a fretless board.

IMO the CV jazz would be a better choice
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by Deliriumbassist
And they sound like sh*t.

Fair enough, I haven't tried anyout to be honest, just passing on the word.
Would it be easier to sand down the metal frets until the neck is flat or to remove them and fill the gaps with wood to make the neck flat again?
Well, i dont agree that it is impossible to get a fretless tone out of a fretted bass. Sure it will not be exact. I have gotten complements on how my jazz bass sounds like a fretless and i think it the reason is, my action is pretty low and it has a little fret buzz and that the pickups are raised high near the strings with it a little bit higher on the g rather than the e.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I personally have methods of vibrato that can sort of pass as fretless sounding, but obviously not the real thing.

That's why I have a fretless too
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Quote by Victory2134

If you're going to do that, you might as well just buy the fretless squier vm for the same price.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Vintage-Modified-Fretless-Jazz-Bass-103871729-i1166455.gc
Quote by Victory2134

You sicken me.

On topic, if you already have 2 basses, then defret one of them. If you only have one though, I reccomend waiting until you can afford another one, otherwise, you won't have a fretted one.
That'd annoy me.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
And they sound like sh*t.

God yes--the one on the BP200 sounds horrible. For kicks I ran my fretless through the fretless effect. It was muddier than a Thunderbird.
Quote by anarkee
God yes--the one on the BP200 sounds horrible. For kicks I ran my fretless through the fretless effect. It was muddier than a Thunderbird.

thats possible?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by slaptasticdave
thats possible?
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack