Thread title:

I've seen a lot of threads recently regarding players asking "what 'level' guitarist am I?" or "could someone suggest [beginner/intermediate/advanced] level songs?". I'd like to take a moment to address those and allow others to discuss.

Essentially, aside from "absolute beginner" and "virtuoso", guitar doesn't have levels. Somthing one person considers easy may be difficult or downright impossible for another person. It's extremely subjective. The only exception is in the case of "absolute beginner" stuff (IE; the intro riff from Smoke on the Water) or "virtuoso" stuff [IE; Arpeggios from Hell by Yngwie Malmsteen]. Asking online is pointless for a myriad of reasons.

First, nobody can see your playing. Sure, you can post a youtube vid, but you've also probably been practicing that one piece to get it just right before you posted it. It's hardly an indication of your overall playing, or how much you actually know and can apply.

Secondly, other people's standards are just that: theirs. No two people play the same way, the same music, in the same style verbatim. We all have different tastes, ideas, and concepts in regards to what's "intermediate" and what's "advanced" and what's "good and bad".

Finally, why exactly are you playing the guitar to begin with? If it's to impress the internet, well, you're going to have to work very hard for a very long time. Unless you can do this you probably won't stand out. If you're playing for yourself, then what other people think about it shoulden't be a factor. Play what you enjoy and take satisfaction from that. Sure, validation feels good, but if you're playing for the right reasons that will come on it's own.

Using other people as measuring sticks is IMHO one of the best ways to frustrate yourself. Some people are more talented in certain areas then others, and when you see someone can play that one song you're struggling on in only 2 months, and you've been at it for six, you're going to think you can't do it or get fed up. We all progress differently in different areas. Nobody else can really tell where you are but yourself. Sure, we can all make educated guesses and label you, but at the end of the day you're the one who has to decide where and how you want to progress.

Play for yourself, and above all, play what you love and love what you play.

-Garou
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Nov 30, 2008,
Yeah you should..
I agree with all of that.

Congratulations Man

Take away IMHO..

Nao
a little lost.....
Last edited by Davo Ownz at Nov 30, 2008,
Very good, you should submit it.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
I've seen a lot of threads recently regarding players asking "what 'level' guitarist am I?" or "could someone suggest [beginner/intermediate/advanced] level songs?". I'd like to take a moment to address those and allow others to discuss.

Essentially, aside from "absolute beginner" (IE; the intro riff from Smoke on the Water) and "virtuoso" [IE; Arpeggios from Hell by Yngwie Malmsteen], guitar doesn't have levels. Something one person considers easy may be difficult or downright impossible for another person. It's extremely subjective. Asking online is pointless for myriad reasons.

First, readers cannot get a good idea of your playing skills. Sure, you can post a youtube vid, but you've also probably been practicing that one piece to get it just right before you posted it. It's hardly an indication of your overall playing, or how much you actually know and can apply.

Secondly, other people's standards are just that: theirs. No two people play the same way, the same music, in the same style verbatim. We all have different tastes, ideas, and concepts in regards to what's "intermediate" and what's "advanced" and what's "good and bad".

Finally, if you're playing for the right reasons, you shouldn't be trying to to impress the internet; which word requires very hard work for a very long time. Unless you plan to do this you probably won't stand out. If you're playing for yourself, then what other people think about it shoulden't be a factor. Play what you enjoy and take satisfaction from that. Sure, validation feels good, but if you're playing for the right reasons that will come on it's own.

I've always thought that using other people as measuring sticks is one of the best ways to frustrate yourself. Some people are more talented in certain areas then others, and when you see someone can play that one song you're struggling on in only 2 months, and you've been at it for six, you're going to think you can't do it or get fed up. We all progress differently in different areas. Nobody else can really tell where you are but yourself. Sure, we can all make educated guesses and label you, but at the end of the day you're the one who has to decide where and how you want to progress.

Play for yourself, and above all, play what you love and love what you play.

-Garou

I edited it for you. Myriad is an adjective, not a noun. Add some examples and beef it up a bit, it's too short.
I Want One!!!

The Kraftwerkers: The Society for the Appreciation of Kraftwerk
I left out one of the links. Iunno if that makes a difference, but I don't mind filling it out a bit. Any thoughts?
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
You do have a point, it's just not that exciting. It sounds like a cliche concept that's been done before. I'm not trying to offend you, and if you truly do stand by it, and never wonder what people think about your playing skills, then you should post it.
I Want One!!!

The Kraftwerkers: The Society for the Appreciation of Kraftwerk
Looks good. I would like to see more about practicing a piece vs. total knowledge, as in "playing a song does not mean that you have mastered all the techniques used in it..." etc. But i like it, should turn out good.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Quote by Davo Ownz
Yeah you should..
I agree with all of that.

Congratulations Man

Take away IMHO..

Nao

To be quite honest, I read that as IMAHO

Like, I'm A Hoe
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
"noun: 1. a very great or indefinitely great number of persons or things."
How he wrote it is fine.