so me and my friends started a band.
as of now there are only 3 people in it
me the bassist and the lead/rythm guitarist
the problem im having is with the other guitarist.
he is very closed minded when it comes to music.
all he ever listens too is gn'r, nickelback and, aerosmith
as we were starting our first practice toghether, he says he wont do it.
we picked a simple song to practice (Prayer of the refugee by rise against) and he says that he wont do it. we agreed to use this song in our first performance ( a talent show) and he says he wont do this "hippy crap". he was being completly serious. me and the bassist both completely mastered our parts, but the guitarist didnt even make an effort to look up the tabs.
he is also being very stubborn, as he is not going to switch to the easier rythm part, saying that he's the lead guitarist, and he is important.
we could easily kick him out and try to find a new guitarist, but he is my friend, and he has the practice space.
should i kick him out and find another guitarist, or let him stay and try to please him with another song?
Quote by dethklokrulz!
so me and my friends started a band.
as of now there are only 3 people in it
me the bassist and the lead/rythm guitarist
the problem im having is with the other guitarist.
he is very closed minded when it comes to music.
all he ever listens too is gn'r, nickelback and, aerosmith
as we were starting our first practice toghether, he says he wont do it.
we picked a simple song to practice (Prayer of the refugee by rise against) and he says that he wont do it. we agreed to use this song in our first performance ( a talent show) and he says he wont do this "hippy crap". he was being completly serious. me and the bassist both completely mastered our parts, but the guitarist didnt even make an effort to look up the tabs.
he is also being very stubborn, as he is not going to switch to the easier rythm part, saying that he's the lead guitarist, and he is important.
we could easily kick him out and try to find a new guitarist, but he is my friend, and he has the practice space.
should i kick him out and find another guitarist, or let him stay and try to please him with another song?

I fail to see how a punk song is "hippy crap"
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
If as a band, you can't collectively agree on something, especially something this simple, it sounds like you're in for a bumpy road ahead. If however, the guitarist is the problem, it may be better to just cut him loose. Or, if you want to lessen the chance of him not wanting to be your friend for whatever reason, make it where HE wants to quit, and find someone a bit more open minded. As a cop-out, tell him its for the good of the band.
Here's my cop-out for the day: Just do what feels right man...
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Kick him out, he doesnt lead the band....and even if he did, its a BAND...not a solo project

Find someone else, so you can actually have productive, fun practices
We have one of those, except he's a death/black metal guy who thinks speed and complexity are emotions.

The best advice I have is talk to him about it and lay down the law a bit. Phrases such as, "We need to start somewhere" and "Broaden your horizons" might help. In my case, we got Mr. Behemoth-Cannibal Corpse-Necrophagist to play "Chelsea Dagger".

If you lay down some facts, talk it over and don't say "come onnnn!!" at him, he might be able to see reason. Try to keep your friendship in line, but if he's being an anchor and dragging you guys down, don't be afraid to cut him loose; there are way more guitarists out there..
Quote by dethklokrulz!

Well, finding a new practice space is a pain, but from the story you described, he is being a pain for no reason. And, to be honest, guitarists are a dime a dozen, even decent ones. So if he isn't of John 5, Yngwie Malmsteen, Eric Clapton, etc., caliber, then it's time to have a talk. If you have to, lay down the law and say that since you and the bassist are gonna do the song, he has two choices, either learn the song or quit the band. If he insists on playing lead, then tell him he has to actually learn and play the lead. That way, if you have to kick him out, then you have a list of reasons.

Just remember, if you aren't enjoying yourselves, then you're doing something wrong. A band should be FUN, especially during that period where you aren't getting paid...

It's practicing that's lame -.^
Quote by AngelOfHatred
We're like "It's bass guitar..." and she was like "No, it's a normal guitar, but the strings a filled with air, so the strings are bigger, it gives it a deeper sound. It's called an air guitar."

Proud player of the Air Guitar.
Is the band his band or a democracy? If it's his band, it's his decision, if it's a democracy, outvote the fu*ker.
I take it there are songs in the set that he enjoys playing? Remind him that the price he pays for being able to play those songs is having to play songs that others in the band want to play.
You should have discussed the kinds of songs you want to play before you even decided to call yourselves a "band".

It's hard to be in a band in which the members don't even want to play the same genre.

Either find some songs that you all agree on, make compromises with him (he plays this song and you'll let him choose another) - or just replace him.

Also - he could be refusing to play that song because he can't play it.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
well guitarist are easy to come across. find a decent guitarist with a nice practice space. also one that you trust enough to keep a drum set there since you aren't using your drummers space.
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist