Page 1 of 2
I just thought that this would make a slightly interesting thread. Most people have some local lore from their hometowns or the surrounding area. A lot of these local monsters aren't really known outside of the local area's either.

I don't really have any too interesting ones from around my area. The best known is probably the Jersey Devil:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Devil

I rode through the Pine Barrens by bike for some thirty miles though, and I didn't see anything. I also stopped and explored Lake Atsion.

There's a Crybaby Bridge myth not too far from where I live too, but they turn up everywhere. The story around my bridge is that some lady was fleeing her enraged murderous husband and killed her infant underneath the bridge. Now supposedly you can hear the infant cry at midnight, but I don't buy it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crybaby_bridge

Last but not least there was a local Bigfoot sighting in a woods not too far from here.

In any case, post some local legends from around your area that you'd like to share with the pit.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Seeing as I am also from Jersey, and not too far from the Pine Barrens, I would also have to say the Jersey Devil.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Go see U2, then you can say you contributed money to Bono's giant Irish tower built out of the blood, tears, and the hopes of African children.
I live in the Pine Barrens. No Jersey Devil here. Just Chatsworth and its Firehouse and Hotdog Stand...
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
Hmmm bridge about 15mins outside the city i grew up in where satanist would preform animal sacrifices... but it was true. They even made a pentagram with animal parts in the middle of the bridge one day.
Quote by TestMan6
Hmmm bridge about 15mins outside the city i grew up in where satanist would preform animal sacrifices... but it was true. They even made a pentagram with animal parts in the middle of the bridge one day.

Awesommmmmme.
Quote by TestMan6

Hardcore, I wish we had something true 'round my parts.

Click me, or I'll die.

searchbar scares the hell out of me
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
bigfoot hunters were in my town sometime this year, but other than that i dont know any.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Quote by TestMan6

You should go there and start playing The Devil Went Down to Georgia. Although, you should change it to Oregon and see how many passer-byers put money in your guitar case.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Go see U2, then you can say you contributed money to Bono's giant Irish tower built out of the blood, tears, and the hopes of African children.
Quote by Haggard13
searchbar scares the hell out of me

****... there is already a local urban legends thread. However, somehow I feel like you didn't know that and are just trying to be a dick. (It's still my bad for not searching)

Click me, or I'll die.

Apparently, according to wikipedia, this area is home to a fabled lake monster. I've lived in this area almost my whole life and I had no idea.
The Piliga Yowie!
There was a song written bout it hold on I'll see if I can find it!

*edit* couldn't find it!

but for people wondering what a yowie is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yowie
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Last edited by gunners fan at Nov 30, 2008,
Bachelors Grove. cemetery in illinois. quite haunted. look it up
Quote by humperdunk

So I just woke up sitting in my desk chair, with my bong on the desk in a bunch of little pieces and my hand super glued to my penis. Speculations as to what the hell just happened and how to unglue my hand from my member would be appreciated.
This is actually effing true.

Theres this homeless guy who used to hang out near a local high school.
They called him whiteface because he always wore white facepaint.
He would shout at the kids and say stuff about vietnam.
And at the premere of the Dark Night,,,, he pulled out a knife and cut his face like the jokers. Supposedly he doesnt feel pain.

Sorry about the wall.
Quote by selibucaz
and i tried to take apart a vibrator, and use that for one (now my moms mad at me) so i know a vibrator wount work

MY GEAR:
Fender Wine Red MIM Fat Strat
Epiphone SG Special
Peavey Rage 158
Fender Frontman 15G
Quote by Bushinarin
****... there is already a local urban legends thread. However, somehow I feel like you didn't know that and are just trying to be a dick. (It's still my bad for not searching)

lol I actually did know this, because I remember it was one of my favourite threads. I now realize that I did come off as a dick, and I apologize
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
Quote by tonedeafidiot
Apparently, according to wikipedia, this area is home to a fabled lake monster. I've lived in this area almost my whole life and I had no idea.

Do you by any chance live near Lake Champlain? Just a guess.

Quote by Haggard13
lol I actually did know this, because I remember it was one of my favourite threads. I now realize that I did come off as a dick, and I apologize

It's really no hard feelings. I was wrong about my assumption (I make lots of them, bad habit). Being a dick just because in the Pit isn't exactly unheard of, I do it often enough.

Sorry for being snappy .

Click me, or I'll die.

Last edited by Bushinarin at Nov 30, 2008,
There's this lake in my neighberhood and me and my friend used to think there was a monster in it. We found this pile of leaves and sticks that somebody raked into a pile. We thought it was the monster's lair. So we armed ourselves with sticks and toor through it. No monster but we pissed of the guy who raked the leaves
Quote by CaptainRon
There used to be a place down by the river in my city that had incomplete brick walls and such.

Was called dead mans castle because apparently the guy who tried building it died. The city got rid of it IIRC.

I know there is a creek near where I live and a little kid tried to climb down into it (it's like a 6 foot step drop). The little kid slipped and broke his neck, so the father came by with a lot of cement and made a lumpy, crude ramp. Not sure if it's true or not, but the ramp is there.

No hauntings there I don't think.

Your post reminded me of this for some reason.

Click me, or I'll die.

not much, except for all the abandoned buildings out here on the plains that have stories with them.

there's one about a building thats pretty close by; about 5 miles south of our house.
anyway, there was a woman back in the late 1800s or early 1900s that had a baby that died at an early age. Her husband didn't want her to know the baby was dead, so he buried in the back yard. The woman never knew why her baby had disapeared, even after she died.
so now, local legend has it that she still roams the old house, constantly searching for her baby.

it can be a pretty scary place. the trees are all dead, the house is old and has lost all its paint, and its out in the middle of the prairie.
Last edited by GrungeJunkie at Nov 30, 2008,
Uh....Well, the window plant (Marvin Windows) is still floating strong. But that doesn't count at all.
Quote by redneckrebel
Wow...just wow

A clapstack? My life is complete.
Apparently, there's an indian burial ground in the forest behind my house.
Not really a legend/monster, but it's kind of cool, if it's true.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Apparently, there's an indian burial ground in the forest behind my house.
Not really a legend/monster, but it's kind of cool, if it's true.

Dude, I haven't seen you in ages

Where have you been?
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
I live in Cape Town South Africa and there is a myth that a good black politician is in our midst somewhere. I don't believe it but.
Quote by gilbs73
Dude, I haven't seen you in ages

Where have you been?

GG&A mostly.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Uhm, there was these three brothers that took turns sleeping with their mom when they were adults, I dunno if they had sex but one of the brothers was held on trial for smothering his brother because he was sick and suffering. There was a documentary or some **** about it.
Quote by Fusanti_RHCP
I live in Sleepy Hollow Illinois.

Guess.

The story of Sleepy Hollow is set in New York though...
In my area many cholos have been spotted in their natural habitat:

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Well we have a crazy cat lady who lives near me. She cleans the town. Other than that nothing exciting.
Quote by Ed Hunter
I took out a fly with my jet of piss once. I felt like God!

“This is ridiculous; my job is to sit here and do this bloo-loo-loo-loo, bloo-loo-loo-loo” - Paul Gilbert on sweep picking.
I live in Mansfield, Ohio.

The Reformatory. If there's any place in the world that is truly haunted, it's this. They apparently did an episode of Ghost Hunters there, which I never knew existed, but I'm now off to watch.
You're*
Page 1 of 2