So, life got in the way for a while, and I had to cut bass playing out of my routine. I've managed to keep up with my six string guitar to a reasonable amount (thanks to the three acoustics lying around my house), but my true love is the bass. That being said, I think the "re-learning/re-callusing" phase is the best time to acclimate my hands to some new techniques.

So, what do you suggest practicing? I'm influenced a lot by Les Claypool (Antipop and Frizzle Fry mainly), Cliff Burton, and John Entwistle, although I am a big fan of James Jamerson and Victor Wooten (esp. Sinister Minister) as well. And in my own songwriting I tend to do a lot of double stops, since my band has no guitarist (Drummer, Cello, Bass) and thus I end up filling both lead and Rhythm roles at times. I also prefer using a pick, while popping with the middle finger. Or, alternatively, fingerplucking with middle and ring (since I didn't want to put my pick down). So I'm moderately proficient with hybrid picking.

So, what techniques are really worth practicing for an out of practice bassist? And if you can think of a song that showcases them, I would be much obliged. Thanks!
Quote by AngelOfHatred
We're like "It's bass guitar..." and she was like "No, it's a normal guitar, but the strings a filled with air, so the strings are bigger, it gives it a deeper sound. It's called an air guitar."

Proud player of the Air Guitar.
If you don't already know how to play it, you should find a cheap bass overdrive pedal and learn Cliff Burtons solos, and with your fingers, using a pick wont count. But apart from that I don't know, maybe try learning some 80's iron maiden, Steve Harris is a kick ass bassist. But you should definatly try using your fingers more.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
The Flea. He is the ****. Learn some RHCP songs. He does a bit of slap bass in there and thats a cool technique for bass
Ibanez RGT42DX
-D'Addario .09-.42
Washburn X10
-Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottem
Cort 5 String Bass

Kustom Arrow 160FX
Electro-Harmonix-Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Digitech-Grunge

Tool's bass lines are really involved, and you can never go wrong with anything Steve Harris has done with Maiden. I'd say take a crack at "Anesthesia" by Metallica...
I already have my Big Muff Pi, and Anesthesia was on my hit list a couple years ago. It's a ton of fun to play, but going back and learning it fingerstyle isn't a bad idea, along with the Maiden. Double/ hybrid picking isn't exactly the same, is it?

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll especially have to go and look up some Tool basslines. For some reason, they had really slipped my mind.
Quote by AngelOfHatred
We're like "It's bass guitar..." and she was like "No, it's a normal guitar, but the strings a filled with air, so the strings are bigger, it gives it a deeper sound. It's called an air guitar."

Proud player of the Air Guitar.
What I'd recommend is following chord tones all over the neck, and working on finger independance and economy of motion.

Between those three things, you become a melodious and harmonically solid technique monster.