Page 1 of 2
How come noone ever talks about them?

They are such an overlooked band. It's a shame, really. They had arguably the best keyboardist and drummer plus an amazing and unique singer. They also composed what I believed some of the greatest songs I have ever heard, like Tarkus, Triology, and From the Beginning.

Triology
From the Beginning

SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tweed, bitches)
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
I agree with you. ELP is pretty over looked by the music world at large. These days it seems only the most die hard of prog fans like them.
Emerson is probably the greatest of the prog keyboardists, Palmer undoubtedly the best prog drummer, and Lake..........well......Lake had the voice of an angel.

I love them. C'Est La Vie, Lucky Man.....and then Fanfare for the Common Man. They could do it all
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
ELP is awesome. Brain Salad Surgery is a killer record. I really haven't heard too much of them other than that record. I have self-titled and Trilogy on vinyl though. So I'll give them a listen some time.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
ya greg lake's voice on that song is awesome. and pictures at an exhibition is a great album also...i've got that one, the self titled album, trilogy, and BSS. they're all damn good...
Classic prog. Everyone is talking about Opeth and Dreamtheater today-who I both love-but they also need to listen to ELP!

I just got Trilogy on vinyl, and it sounds great.
Good band that took me awhile to get into. When you're not used to keyboard solos, ELP can be extremely difficult to listen to.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
im buying a keyboard/synth instead of a classical guitar because of ELP.

anyone like the Korg X50?
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
Last edited by gruenburger at Dec 2, 2008,
Theres alot of bands or artists over looked, and ELP happens to be one of them

what albums from them do you suggest?
'Music is the best"
Zappa
if you're just getting into them, probably the self titled one...then maybe trilogy? that's what i'd do at least.
Or I recommend getting the Greatest Hits album (gasp! Did he really just say that? He did!)
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
therussian fails! NO! i hate gettin the greatest hits album from any artist.......the way i put it is in this scenario, i see it all the time

Someone in the car says

"HAI DO U GOT ANY BOB MARLEY?!?!?"

"YEZ I GOTZ BOB MARLEY, I LOVE HIM, HES ONE OF MY FAVORITE!!!!!"

(Pops in greatest hits)

your not a fan until you hear the tracks that didnt hit the radio or the ones that everyone knows.........wow i just went on a pointless rant
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Greatest Hits is a great way to get to know a band, and then delve deeper into their discography if you like them.

However, I agree with the Marley thing haha. It pisses me off when people say that they love Bob Marley (my roommate has a freakin poster of him), and he can't even name 5 of his songs
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
I really like them, and I guess Take a pebble would have to be my favorite but then again most l of their songs are amazing
I think I made an ELP thread a few years ago,

yeah.. i like the band alot.

Whats everyones opinion on Asia?!
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
Whats everyones opinion on Asia?!

A complete waste of talent.

I mean, stuff like ELP or Yes is sometimes really silly, but I find it endearing. With Asia, I just want to run away.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Asia? Good musicians playing derivative Top 40 ****.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
^ that's what I thought for a while...but then I actually spent time to listen to some more of there stuff. it's not all good, by any means, but some of it is pretty awesome.
I've been listening to Tarkus, Trilogy and BSS for weeks on end, but I can't stand the ST album (epecially the overrated 'Lucky Man'). Can anyone recommend any more albums?
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I've been listening to Tarkus, Trilogy and BSS for weeks on end, but I can't stand the ST album (epecially the overrated 'Lucky Man'). Can anyone recommend any more albums?

HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE TAKE A PEBBLE?!
Works vol. 1 has some stuff that I enjoy, although I don't think I like it all enough to recommend buying the whole thing. Same thing for Works vol 2, except that I like even less of it.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Pfft, Lake's best vocal performance (bar 'Epitaph').
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
yeah I think he's awesome on Take a Pebble...for me that's his best vocal. of course besides Epitaph.
I'll be listening to the S/T several more times, maybe I'll get into it more. It just didn't capture my praises, if you know what I mean.

Brain Salad Surgery took a few revolutions to dig, while Tarkus and Trilogy I loved from the first listen.

I got a 2CD compilation of the Nice for christmas, which I've not really listened to yet.
i finally got one of their albums, got the first one, i definitely dig it, great keys!
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Quote by BrianApocalypse

I got a 2CD compilation of the Nice for christmas, which I've not really listened to yet.

Tell me how it is.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
What exactly don't you get?

By the way, my lawyers are standing by for my signal
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by DownInAHole.
I don't see it. Can't get into them. Sue me.

no need for legal actions, you either like em or you dont, not a big deal

o and i must get trilogy as soon as possible, i love the song "From the Beginning"
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Last edited by Gris-Gris-Man at Jan 6, 2009,
TARKUS!

what a great album! the opening track is just superb, one of my favorite albums of all time already....and the album art work! WOW! indescribably great
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Quote by Gris-Gris-Man
TARKUS!

what a great album! the opening track is just superb, one of my favorite albums of all time already....and the album art work! WOW! indescribably great

I was a little disappointed because of the album cover. Where were the lyrics about an armadillo tank? Come to think of it, I also thought Sgt. Pepper was going to be about an orgy. I had my hopes crushed there, too.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
I was a little disappointed because of the album cover. Where were the lyrics about an armadillo tank? Come to think of it, I also thought Sgt. Pepper was going to be about an orgy. I had my hopes crushed there, too.

yea that woulda been cool if the lyrics were a about an armadillo tank...but i believe "Tarkus" is a symbol for the military or weaponry
'Music is the best"
Zappa
There's a great musical and lyrical analysis of 'Tarkus' in 'Rocking The Classics' by Edward Macan, if you can find it. It's 8 pages long, good stuff.

Macan's theory is that Tarkus is about the role between society and technology - one 'technology' - in this case, Tarkus, a technological creature, becomes superior to all other technologies (eg the Pterodon, the Lizard thing, the big terrapin castle) but is kept at hand by the Manticore, which is a sentient being. But the Leitmotif of the Eruption theme at the end suggests that technology will return. Something along those lines.

That theory might be quite likely actually, because one of the CD pressings of Brain Salad Surgery has either Lake or Emerson off-handedly questioning whether technology is a good thing.

If I type any sections up I'll be sure to post them.
Page 1 of 2