Page 1 of 2
I used to hate les pauls. the onlys ones i ever played were epiphones through a crappy MG, at guitar center. My brother (who plays left handed) has 2, a gibson standard and a gibson Supreme.. I just plugged the supreme into my peavy classic 30 full tube amp, (its a left handed guitar im right handed) played through a few simple scale runs, and i am now saving up the 5k to buy one they sound so amazing
ounce...fail.

i agree however.

they dont all cost 5k
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I've played some custom shop Gibsons through a beauty of an amp that is a Marshall 1974X.

To be honest, I preferred a Fender Deluxe Roadhouse through the same amp.

It's all preference. Les Paul's are great guitars, but I definitely think saying that "once you play one, everything else is inferior" is a huge overstatement. Granted a Les Paul is probably my next guitar, but still, saying that you never will want another guitar is an overstatement. As I just said though, even with that being said, a Les Paul is probably going to be my next guitar. That or an Explorer.

Congrats on finding "the one guitar" for you though, best wishes once you get er' and plug her in. Also get pics and/or soundclips when you do. Just a recommendation though, get a $2,400 Standard; their still kickass and much more affordable.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
hahahaha.........ok

Im sorry but this is a dumb post.....

someone saying gibson makes good guitars.... I have never heard such a thing....and ts... you are paying for name.... spend 2000 on another brand of guitar....that will be better... and so something better with the other 3 grand
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
I agree you never go totally back...but I do like to venture away...

One thing exclusively will always get boring...

I'm unsure that this post was deserving of a post though
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
I played a good les paul....
and i went back coz I don't like it that much...
apart from ESP's eclipse
Quote by .smudged.
Sex is overrated, try World of Warcraft.
I played an epiphone les paul for a while... It was ****ing awesome, but still looking for my perfect guitar.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
I don;t know about you but before i got my LP standard, I thought" aw dam, this is the only guitar i'll ever need.

but after i bought it, it was like" ok Cool, then i went to the shop and found the ibanez SV5470, and bought it two months after.

I guess guitars play and look better in the store, because it is not yours.

Bear this in mind " I have 7 guitars, and my second guitar being the LP standard.

But out of all the guitars i have I like the LP the most, I just wished it was a double cut and had 24 frets so i could reach the higher frets. oh well, i guess nothing perfect.

Get the les paul, you won't regret it.

If i were you i'd get a SG 61' reissue, you've got every thing that the LP got plus better fret access and it looks more diabolical( i like that)
well, you play the right les paul and you are hooked
you dont need to spend 5K, 2K will do
As someone who owns a Custom Shop LP.... meh. No, I could go back very easily.

Don't get me wrong, I love my LPs. They're flawless, especially the Gibson. But these are the only three good LPs I've ever played; I've played countless (well, easily more than 30) other LPs, most of them Gibsons, and all those others have sucked.

Though my three LPs are nice, they seem rare. On average, LPs seem to really suck.

But play an 80's Kramer, and then you'll never go back...
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I own a Les Paul and I hardly play it.

It's not my best guitar by far. It's just the most expensive.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I've played the top of the line les pauls, they don't do it for me. It's all preference.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Gibson les pauls feel very solid and amazing in my hands i'll admit, but they just aren't for me, i'm afraid. I'm more of a fender man myself.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I own 2 LP's all I play anymore are Schecter Classics and Strats..

the LP's sit in their cases
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
hahahaha.........ok

someone saying gibson makes good guitars.... I have never heard such a thing....and ts... you are paying for name.... spend 2000 on another brand of guitar....that will be better... and so something better with the other 3 grand

thats gotta be the stupidest post ive seen this month.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by Blompcube
Gibson les pauls feel very solid and amazing in my hands i'll admit, but they just aren't for me, i'm afraid. I'm more of a fender man myself.

I agree. I already put enough strain on my back carrying my amp.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I love Gibson LPs but lately the new ones are just So-So you really have to go thru a lot of them to find one that is outstanding. When I was collecting Gibsons 20 years ago finding a good LP was very easy most were nice. I think I good LP or any good Gibson would always be my first choice in guitars but I have found so many good guitars in every line but Fender I would chosse over some of the new LPs. I spent almost all day yesterday bouncing around from guitar shop to guitar shop From Manchester, NH to South Attleboro, Ma and the more of these high end guitars I played the more I realize they are just not worth it.

A good LP is a keeper for sure but finding that good one lately is a treasure hunt to say the least.

John
well for $2000 there are better options- the ESP Eclipse II with duncans comes to mind.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
well for $2000 there are better options- the ESP Eclipse II with duncans comes to mind.

the ESP Eclipse II does not match a gibson les paul in tone quality.
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by maiden_mexico
the ESP Eclipse II does not match a gibson les paul in tone quality.

Spoken like a true Gibson Fan Boy.

I dare you to tell the difference between the two. If you can tell the difference between an Eclipse and a Les Paul through an amp, I will be impressed and forever bow down to your superiority.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

I dare you to tell the difference between the two. If you can tell the difference between an Eclipse and a Les Paul through an amp, I will be impressed and forever bow down to your superiority.

I second this
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
hahahaha.........ok

I agree!

Of course you have heard such a thing ... you just chose to ignore all those posts by happy Gibson LP owners and instead just remember the regurgitated Gibson QC sucks, etc.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

ive been a musician for 15 years. it also depends on which type of les paul. sure a Eclipse II will sound better than a studio, but a high quality standard or custom? and you can get them for around 2 grand, theres some crazy deals going during these economic times.
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by maiden_mexico
ive been a musician for 15 years. it also depends on which type of les paul. sure a Eclipse II will sound better than a studio, but a high quality standard or custom? and you can get them for around 2 grand, theres some crazy deals going during these economic times.

And here's the problem: Those are as rare as virgins in a whorehouse.

I remember playing one '07 LP that was nothing but excellent. Was a Gibson Standard. But most others were just 'okay', while the last two '08 LPs I played were crap. Not nearly worth the 2100€ price tag.

The ESP Eclipse didn't blow me away either, but it was still better than most Gibsons I played.
Quote by TheQuailman
And here's the problem: Those are as rare as virgins in a whorehouse.
I remember playing one '07 LP that was nothing but excellent. Was a Gibson Standard. But most others were just 'okay', while the last two '08 LPs I played were crap. Not nearly worth the 2100€ price tag.

The ESP Eclipse didn't blow me away either, but it was still better than most Gibsons I played.

true, but they arent as rare as you think. you wont find them at guitar center thats for sure, they lurk in the vintage guitar shops and closets of neighbors you havent spoken to in years. some good stuff on ebay and craigslist too but its a gamble.
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by maiden_mexico
true, but they arent as rare as you think. you wont find them at guitar center thats for sure, they lurk in the vintage guitar shops and closets of neighbors you havent spoken to in years. some good stuff on ebay and craigslist too but its a gamble.

Damn you're right, I've been looking for good deals on nineties Gibsons for months now. I only played a few of those, but they were all really nice.
The Almighty Quailman hath spoken!
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Where i come from people have different opinions. Maybe he can but who cares?
Its all subjective, if you dont like a gibson dont buy one, get an ESP or whatever you want. At the end of the day, a guitar is a guitar. And there is about a million of these threads on gibson LPs vs other manufacturers copies.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

actually there is a pretty noticable difference. The gibson (depending on the model) has more wood behind it and will actually have a deeper sound resulting from the more mass.

now I'm not saying the Eclipse is not as good, because the Eclipse is a damn good guitar. The eclipse just doesn't have as much wood behind it.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
actually there is a pretty noticable difference. The gibson (depending on the model) has more wood behind it and will actually have a deeper sound resulting from the more mass.

now I'm not saying the Eclipse is not as good, because the Eclipse is a damn good guitar. The eclipse just doesn't have as much wood behind it.

Gibson Les Pauls are chambered, I don't think they have more mass than an Eclipse II.

I'm not going to believe it until someone can actually prove the tonal differences.

If anybody ever swings by Canada and wants to do a blindfold test, I'm free. I have no life you know.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Gibson Les Pauls are chambered, I don't think they have more mass than an Eclipse II.

I'm not going to believe it until someone can actually prove the tonal differences.

If anybody ever swings by Canada and wants to do a blindfold test, I'm free. I have no life you know.

dude only the 2008s are chambered...and we arent talking about those.
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

the new pauls are chambered. I'm talking real lps not the chambered bs gibson is pulling now.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by maiden_mexico

i don't think so. the 2008 models are chambered more. the pre-2008 models are chambered, but not as much.

anyway, i went les paul, and i came back to fenders almost immediately after. sold it and used the money to get a telecaster. never regretted the choice.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Last edited by lithium26 at Nov 30, 2008,
Quote by maiden_mexico

Dude, LP guitars have been weight relieved since the 70s and chambered since early in this decade.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Dude, LP guitars have been weight relieved since the 70s and chambered since early in this decade.

yes they have been weight relieved since the 70's that deals with a few cheese holes drilled in the bottom section of the guitar, and thats only on the standards and studios

and chambering has only applied to the standards in 2008, studios maybe earlier.

the customs remain un-weight relieved

you were saying?
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by JLT73
the new pauls are chambered. I'm talking real lps not the chambered bs gibson is pulling now.
Hell yeah broken backs FTW! I'm not lying, jimmy page (the skinny bastard) actually had back problems from playing ridiculously heavy guitars for more than a decade. I have an Epi LP standard (solid un weight relieved mahogany) and it hurts my shoulder a bit after about 10 minutes of playing standing up. But it just sounds so damned thick, I love it.

Quote by maiden_mexico
yes they have been weight relieved since the 70's that deals with a few cheese holes drilled in the bottom section of the guitar, and thats only on the standards and studios

and chambering has only applied to the standards in 2008, studios maybe earlier.

you were saying?

Ahem... '07 standard is chambered smart one, therefore so is the '06, '05, etc.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Nov 30, 2008,
Quote by maiden_mexico

and chambering has only applied to the standards in 2008.

you were saying?

Whatever you say buddy but my friend has a 2006 Les Paul Standard and it's been feeling a little on the light side.

Like 7.85 pounds on a digital scale light.

That must be one light piece of wood huh?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Page 1 of 2