I need a very heavy distortion pedal good for rhythm. I want to get tones similar to new Exodus, Testament, Cavalera Conspiracy, etc. Basically very heavy, crunchy, thrash.

The only stipulation is it has to work with a Boss style 9V power supply because I just bought a Boss BC-60 pedal board. I really like the Metal Muff for versatility but it takes up too much room on my board and the power supply won't work.

I'm comparing the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone to the Digitech XMM Metal Master. I haven't heard good things about the Boss for what I'm wanting to do with it.
I would suggest getting what sounds good, no what your limited too. just use 1 extra plug. Its not worth the suckage of Boss metal zones/core/insert **** pedal here.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
take back the pedal board?
you're not going to find a good boss for what you want.
home made pedal boards are better anyways..
back to the topic: have you given the boss mega distortion a try? so many people go for the metal * pedals and to me they sound too thin.
Quote by Kentris.5
EHX Metal Muff is always a good one to try out. You can get really heavy crunchy tones to more mild near-overdrive tones if you tweak it right.

I like it but it's too big and there's the power supply issue. I'm also looking at the Micro Metal Muff.

[edit]
The power supply may not be an issue.
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pedals/18876-question-about-pedal-voltage-9v-9-6v.html

So if that's the case, I may go for the Micro.

Quote by tona_107
take back the pedal board?
you're not going to find a good boss for what you want.

No I've decided on this board and I'm going to keep it.

I didn't say the pedals had to be Boss. Other pedals will work with the 9V power supply and there may even be an adapter to work with the EHX Metal Muff. The plug is just so different.

Quote by _Sanitarium_
home made pedal boards are better anyways..
back to the topic: have you given the boss mega distortion a try? so many people go for the metal * pedals and to me they sound too thin.

I'll see if I can find it at a shop and give it a shot.
Last edited by dizturbed at Nov 30, 2008,
check out the boss metal core. it's a really thick, deep distortion that's good for metal rhythms.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
check out the boss metal core. it's a really thick, deep distortion that's good for metal rhythms.

I'm not hopeful about anything named 'metal core'
the boss thing should work with the metal core. my boss adapter is nine volts and it works with all 9v DC pedals iv ever used, but on the adapter it actually says its 9.6 volts
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Highwaytohell
You guys forgot to ask the most important question...

TS what is your amp?

I have a Peavey XXX 112 60W 6L6 power amp and 12ax7 pre-amp that I need it to sound good with.

I also have a Roland Cube 30 that it would be nice if it worked with but not a deal breaker since I can shred on the Rectifier setting
dude, you have a ****ing XXX and your looking for a distortion pedal? work on getting a good amp distortion sound... not to sound like a douche but it has better distortion than any distortion pedal will
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by dizturbed
I'm not hopeful about anything named 'metal core'

Nah dude, I've got one and if you set it up properly you can even use it for low(er) - gain distortion like Deep Purple and AC/DC stuff.

If you already have a high-gain amp and mix them you should have enough distortion.
Metal Muff with Top Boost.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
I'd vote for the Digitech Hardwire Metal petal (ML-2 I think). The digitech pedal will work with the Boss 9V power plug. I played with this pedal on Friday and I was very impressed with it. It seems to offer a lot more versatility than any other metal pedal I've tried. The little toggle switch lets you completely change the character of the pedal from tight bass to loose.
Quote by dizturbed
I have a Peavey XXX 112 60W 6L6 power amp and 12ax7 pre-amp that I need it to sound good with.

I also have a Roland Cube 30 that it would be nice if it worked with but not a deal breaker since I can shred on the Rectifier setting

dude wtf? the XXX destroys any distortion pedal.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
MI Audio Crunch

That'll work with Boss stuff. But ditch the Boss pedal board, get a slab of wood and a power strip.
Aggreed, you dont need a distortion pedal, you need either an OD or an EQ pedal.

Dont get a ****ing distortion pedal, UNless you want to spend bank on a Zvex box of metal.

Other than that get an OD or an EQ.
Tubescreamer and MXR 10 band and your set for amazing tone.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Guys, guys...settle down.

I'm happy with the distortion on my XXX. I just want a sound I can tweak more which I could probably do with an EQ or OD.

BUT I practice more on my Cube so I want something that will work good with it. The Rectifier setting is OK but it gets old. I have heard that effects don't play well with the Roland cubes is why I ask.

That's a no on the ZVex Box of Metal due to cost.

It looks like I'll probably go with the EHX Micro Metal Muff but I may try one of the Boss or the Digitech just for comparison.
Last edited by dizturbed at Dec 2, 2008,
Quote by Highwaytohell
Dude pedals will make the cube sound ****tier ....

I was afraid of that. I had a Metal Muff nano once but I can't really remember how the cube sounded with it.

Looks like I'll be getting the foot switch for the Cube and sticking with the stock FX. I wish I would've just bought a small plain jane amp that would be good with FX.
Last edited by dizturbed at Dec 3, 2008,