Hi,

In the light of the recommendations made yesterday to me, for an amp to go with my Boss GT-8 MFX, I narrowed down the choices to the Atomic Reactor amps.

For those of you who don't know, Atomic Reactors are tube poweramp combos (so no preamp) and are designed to be FRFR (full-range, flat response: this means the widest range of frequencies possible, to get the maximum out of the MFX). So, they're designed to work with MFX, this makes it the perfect choice for my GT-8.

Now, the question is, which one? There are 3 options:
1. The 18w: designed for bedroom volumes
2. The 50w 1x12": designed to be much louder (gigs etc.) but, according to the Atomic website, "also great at bedroom volumes"
3. The 50w 2x12": same as the 112, but with 2 speakers. It can therefore make use of the stereo effects the GT-8 provides...

I'd like to know which model suits me best. FYI, I don't gig but I sometimes go jamming with a friend who drums. I know you'll probably recommend me the 18w for this, but the thing is I want this to be an amp I'll never get rid of. I want to use it in every situation I can ever possibly be in... This means, I don't gig now but maybe I will in 5 years, maybe I won't, but I just want to be prepared for every possible situation.

So, basically my question is: will the 2x12" sound good at bedroom volume, like the 18w? Or will it just be too loud? And in that case, is there a difference in loudness between the 212 and the 112 (both 50w)?

Cheers!
ZeG

Well... I'll put it this way:

18 watt - good at bedroom levels and can be cranked easily. can always be mic'd if you go ahead and gig later on.
1x50 watt - good for gigging/full practice and can be used at bedroom levels, but not as well as the smaller version.
2x50 watt - same thing as the single-speaker version but with stereo capability. it won't be louder but will be able to handle loud volumes better (clearer, better sound).

Honestly, i'd go for the 18 watts at this moment. Maybe later on when you do need to you can buy a larger version and can keep the 18 watter for practice at home.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
Honestly, i'd go for the 18 watts at this moment. Maybe later on when you do need to you can buy a larger version and can keep the 18 watter for practice at home.

Well, that's exactly what I want to avoid. I'd rather spend the 200$-300$ extra on the larger versions than buy the 18w now, only to find out later on that I need the bigger version and buy that one too. Like I said, I want this to be an amp capable of every possible situation... Consider it my cure for GAS

That's why I asked if the 50w versions will do good at bedroom volumes, because they obviously have what it takes at louder volumes...

Cheers
Quote by ZeGuitarist
Well, that's exactly what I want to avoid. I'd rather spend the 200$-300$ extra on the larger versions than buy the 18w now, only to find out later on that I need the bigger version and buy that one too. Like I said, I want this to be an amp capable of every possible situation... Consider it my cure for GAS

That's why I asked if the 50w versions will do good at bedroom volumes, because they obviously have what it takes at louder volumes...

Cheers

The 50 watt version won't get close to the 18 watts at bedroom levels but it will still do the job, and that's still at reasonably loud volume (forget having it only so that it can be heard in your room). You can always mic up the 18 watt version and still sound good if you do happen to end up playing gigs and stuff.

Quote by evening_crow

The 50 watt version won't get close to the 18 watts at bedroom levels but it will still do the job, and that's still at reasonably loud volume (forget having it only so that it can be heard in your room). You can always mic up the 18 watt version and still sound good if you do happen to end up playing gigs and stuff.

Wish there was a 30w version or something
I'll try them out anyway, before I buy them..

More opinions? 50w too loud for bedroom? Because it'd be nice if I could use the stereo options from my GT-8 through the stereo 212 amp..

Cheers
Quote by ZeGuitarist
Wish there was a 30w version or something
I'll try them out anyway, before I buy them..

More opinions? 50w too loud for bedroom? Because it'd be nice if I could use the stereo options from my GT-8 through the stereo 212 amp..

Cheers

I'm sure it's not TOO loud, but enough to be heard through the entire house. Normally those sized-amps tend to have a very steep rise of volume in the first increments, making it hard to get a nice bedroom level without having to use an atenuator.

I personally would go for the 2x12 because i know that i would gig with it. However, if it was just for practice on my own i wouldn't bother with it. That's what you have to think about.

Ok, I did some research and I keep finding different opinions about the 212. Some, like evening_crow, say it's too loud, others say it performs really well at bedroom volumes. Can I have somebody else's opinion on this?

Cheers