this, ive just bought a epiphone les paul standard for my first guitar and bought a epiphone valve standard amp, bought a lead cable and stuff to connect them together and when i got home i turned on the amp and turned it from stand by to play had my lead cable plugged into the hole what says input and had the other end plugged into the guitar, and when i strummed the strings it just made the same sound as it did unplugged, you can hear that the amp is working beacuse it makes a slight humming noise and when turned up full the noise gets loader but when i strummed the strings, still no volume... i dont really know anythink about it and if im doing something wrong or not, can anyone help?
Quote by Hoodoo Child
faulty cable?

i dunno, they are plugged in the right place aint they? one in the guitar and another in the input jack?
Quote by greennblue10
The amp might not be warmed up. Also, the volume on the guitar?

i dunno what you mean buy warming up the amp?, but i turned every knob on the guitar up to ten
if it's a tube amp it needs to warm up first...also check your guitar jack, and the input jack on the amplifier
...Fender + Ritchie Blackmore = hours and hours of GREAT music and guitar execusions...
Quote by Fender for life
if it's a tube amp it needs to warm up first...also check your guitar jack, and the input jack on the amplifier

ive checked both the jacks, the cables in really secure, but i havnt warmed it up, do i just do this by leaving it on stand by for about 5 mins?
Quote by WoodySafc
ive checked both the jacks, the cables in really secure, but i havnt warmed it up, do i just do this by leaving it on stand by for about 5 mins?

You'd turn the Power switch on, and leave the Standby switch to off (or Standby). Wait about 60 seconds (this seems to be a safe estimate) to let the tubes warm up, and then switch the Standby to on (or Play).

Do yourself a favor and turn the volume knob down to one or two; once it works you'll be able to tell without it destroying your ear drums.
Haha, well I had the same problem when I bought my Gibson Explorer and Vox valve amp. I think it just needs to heat up the valves, to me it seemed like they heated up faster overtime. Eventually it started acting really funky and I finally decided to get a new amp. So if you really just can't take it anymore get a new amp, preferably not a valve amp.

P.S. Check the knobs on your guitar, make sure your guitar volume is also up.
Quote by Romanne
You'd turn the Power switch on, and leave the Standby switch to off (or Standby). Wait about 60 seconds (this seems to be a safe estimate) to let the tubes warm up, and then switch the Standby to on (or Play).

Do yourself a favor and turn the volume knob down to one or two; once it works you'll be able to tell without it destroying your ear drums.

Oh yeah forgot to mention, valve amps are REALLY LOUD. I was surprised with how loud it was on my little 15 watt amp So you might wanna turn it down a bit so you don't go deaf while testing it out.
Quote by Ponomar
Oh yeah forgot to mention, valve amps are REALLY LOUD. I was surprised with how loud it was on my little 15 watt amp So you might wanna turn it down a bit so you don't go deaf while testing it out.

well im still having problems, this time i turned everythink up to 10 on the guitar and i then turned them master volume on the amp all the way to full the humming noise got really loud and as i strummed the strings you could hear it out them amp as you should but no way was it the volume it should be, but u could just hear it, i still dont know whats wrong
Quote by WoodySafc
well im still having problems, this time i turned everythink up to 10 on the guitar and i then turned them master volume on the amp all the way to full the humming noise got really loud and as i strummed the strings you could hear it out them amp as you should but no way was it the volume it should be, but u could just hear it, i still dont know whats wrong

Is the volume on your guitar turned up as well? If so, do you have another cable you could use to rule out a fault in the one you're using now?
Quote by Romanne
Is the volume on your guitar turned up as well? If so, do you have another cable you could use to rule out a fault in the one you're using now?

yeah ive turned the guitar knobs everyway i could and no i just have 1 cable i bought it all yesterday brand new, there are 3 inputs at the back of the amp, one reads speaker 8 OHM, The second one has extension speaker above the input and 8 OHM Min below it and the 3rd one has Foot switch above it and DSP on/off switch below it, also there is a cable coming out the amp and it is plugged into the second input of the 3 that being (extension speaker above the input and 8 OHM Min below it) and i dont have a clue about that, dont know weather i should take it out or put my lead from my guitar into one of those or something?????
Last edited by WoodySafc at Nov 30, 2008,
Right, TURN YOUR AMP OFF!!!!

The little cable is the SPEAKER cable, that needs to be plugged into the "Speaker 8 ohm" output, the first one of the three on the back panel.

Hopefully you didn't blow the output transformer the first time you played it - it should be okay if that cable was plugged into the other socket as technically it's still going to a load.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Right, TURN YOUR AMP OFF!!!!

The little cable is the SPEAKER cable, that needs to be plugged into the "Speaker 8 ohm" output, the first one of the three on the back panel.

Hopefully you didn't blow the output transformer the first time you played it - it should be okay if that cable was plugged into the other socket as technically it's still going to a load.

okay ive plugged all tht in and done all tht this time i turned up all the knobs on the amp even the master volume all to full and had a mess around with it, it seems to be that when its all on high gain i get a noise from it but as soon as i drop gain off theres no noise at all from the amp? also when i have all the settings up it still sound bassy and muffled/dusty and its not playing its loudest as it would be doing on 15watts full volume...whats wrong?? anyone got one of these amps?
is it a comb or a head and a cab?
Are you using an instrument or a speaker cable between the guitar and the amp?

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
I would say go back to the store and let them give you a new one.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by helsinki_vampir
I would say go back to the store and let them give you a new one.

really, jesus christ what a carry on, do you think i should ring them now?
Yes - there is a *chance* that you fried the output transformer when you ran the amp without the speaker connected...I don't know enough about the amp to know definitely though.

Someone who knows a lot more about electronics than I do and is familiar with the circuitry of your amp would be able to give you a definitive answer.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Don't keep turning the mater volume to FULL, your only hurting the amp
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
Quote by steven seagull
Yes - there is a *chance* that you fried the output transformer when you ran the amp without the speaker connected...I don't know enough about the amp to know definitely though.

Someone who knows a lot more about electronics than I do and is familiar with the circuitry of your amp would be able to give you a definitive answer.
If the amp hummed, then the speaker was connected.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
haha finally i have it sorted, i took the f****r back after all the struggle of getting it yesterday and carrying it back and evrythink it was broke in the shop basically just i stupidly forgot to try it out before i bought, so i ended up taking it back trying out a few others and ended up getting the Laney VC15-110 for a replacement dont know alot about but atleast this one bloody works lol, what a carry on its been like
Quote by MrCarrot
If the amp hummed, then the speaker was connected.

+1

Anyways, i'm glad to see you got it figured out.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by WoodySafc
haha finally i have it sorted, i took the f****r back after all the struggle of getting it yesterday and carrying it back and evrythink it was broke in the shop basically just i stupidly forgot to try it out before i bought, so i ended up taking it back trying out a few others and ended up getting the Laney VC15-110 for a replacement dont know alot about but atleast this one bloody works lol, what a carry on its been like
Congratulations, you got a better amp

Quote by MrCarrot
Congratulations, you got a better amp

haha have ii? well paid £200 when the laney was supposed to be £239 then i played the game a little saying its jsut been such a carry on, and its for xmas and ive wasted petrol and evrythink so he sed i'll knock a fair bit off mate, so £200 and you say it better??? class
Yup, the laney kicks the Valve Standard's ass. I have a Laney VC30 (bigger brother of your amp) You got a good deal, congrats.
Quote by MrCarrot
Yup, the laney kicks the Valve Standard's ass. I have a Laney VC30 (bigger brother of your amp) You got a good deal, congrats.

NICE ONE now the only problem is a cant see the amp and guitar for another 25 days haha but then it will be xmassss