I want to get a new guitar, either a Jackson RR3 or a Gibson sg special. I really like the jackson but i play all kinds of music from blues to thrash metal and reggae. Is the Jackson only good for metal? Is the SG good for metal? What do I get?
Do you need/would you use a floating trem?
If not I'd recommend the SG, but go for the standards as I have heard that quality control is very lax on low end Gibsons.
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl (Ned/chav) annoying me on the bus.

Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"

Her: Facial expression was priceless - "What??! Noo!"

Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."

She then turned away and whimpered.
Sombody said a while back that whenver Gibson puts"special" in the name, it is special in the retarded way.
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
The Jackson would be better for metal compared to the SG probably but i wouldn't say it would only be good for metal. Consider that the Jackson has a wild shape and could be delicate, But remember that the sg has a fixed bridge whilst the Jackson has a trem.
Your better off with a LTD EC-1000. or a high end epiphone. In my experience they are generally better than their expenisve low end Gibson bretheren.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
Quote by zacharydak
Your better off with a LTD EC-1000. or a high end epiphone. In my experience they are generally better than their expenisve low end Gibson bretheren.

+1. But, if your thinking about the EC-1000, get the ones with the Duncan pick-ups. Passive pickups are easier to change if you dislike/want to improve your tone.
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
Depends if you want a trem or not, and i agree withthe posts about ESP's and Epiphones. If you can get an Epiphone Elitist that would be good too.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer